Thread: FZ-1 or FZ-09? Thoughts?

FZ-1 or FZ-09? Thoughts?

Thinking of selling my current streetbike (05 GSXR1000) and getting something with a more touring/upright seating position for my old, tired ass....

FZ-1:
    • 998cc I4 (basically the R-1 motor with midrange cams)
    • half fairing, dual headlight
    • Available in a color I like (pearl white)
    • 487lbs

FZ-09:
    • 847cc I3
    • nekkid street fighter, single headlight
    • available in 3 colors, two I don't like (red and orange), one I think I'll need to see in person to decide (liquid graphite)
    • 414lbs

The FZ-09 is brand new for 2014 so no one can give any real world info about it yet. The biggest physical difference in my eyes is the fairing/nekkid. The fairing on the FZ-1 won't provide as much wind protection as a goldwing, but it's gotta be better than nothing. Never really had an unfaired bike long term, though I prefer the look over the half fairing.

The other huge difference is the price - the 2014 FZ-1 MSRP is $10,790 where the FZ-09 is $7990, a $2800 difference!

What does the beeb think? And anyone want to buy a GSXR1000?
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Re: FZ-1 or FZ-09? Thoughts?

I really like the look of the Fz-09. More so then the Fz-1 for sure. The graphite would be the color to get IMO as well.

unless youre going to do some long trips or touring, i would go with the fz09 if you can get a hold of one. looks like a blast.

i have a naked fz1 and its a ton of fun though, cant go wrong but it is an extremely dated machine. no significant changes since 06 and nothing revealed on the horizon.
    ~Scott #119

Quote Originally Posted by sag View Post
    unless youre going to do some long trips or touring, i would go with the fz09 if you can get a hold of one. looks like a blast.
    No long trips planned, BUT I may spend a lot of time on I-70 between Denver and HPR. It's primary use would not be as a canyon carver (sadly enough)

i have a naked fz1 and its a ton of fun though, cant go wrong but it is an extremely dated machine. no significant changes since 06 and nothing revealed on the horizon.
    I like the FZ-1's, especially as a nekkid bike, but the thought of the 09 being 70lbs lighter is hard to resist. Plus the cost difference.....I think I'm almost decided LoL
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Chocolate Thunder

Come hell or high water this will be my next bike. I currently have a naked and an upright, at the end of tthe day my back nor hands hurt. I was scared at first from the winds hitting me on the front range and being knocked around, but I have had no problems at all. Now the colors, well it will have to be the darker black, but for the price you pay for it brand new, it can be repainted and of course will have to get a corbin seat.

Kerry
    Suzuki Gladius 650
    GSXR 750

Taste the rainbow...B*itch
    http://www.pajiba.com/videos/awesome...inbow-btch.php

The MCN review was pretty positive for the FZ09. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs3RTfu3QC8
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

I'm looking at the FZ09, BMW F800GT and KTM Duke 690. Anyone want a vintage FZR600?
    Last edited by FZRguy; Sun Sep 8th, 2013 at 01:34 AM.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

I think the FZ-09 is going to be a big seller. Big sellers get big aftermarket parts support. At its price point you can buy the bike, throw some money at the suspension, maybe some removable luggage and have a killer do everything bike.