Thread: Ducati 899 Panigale

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Generic's Avatar

Ducati 899 Panigale

http://rideapart.com/2013/09/2014-du...tos-and-specs/

The 899 is the Ducati 1199 Panigale‘s new little brother, replacing the old Ducati 848 Evo with an all-new motorcycle. Aping its big brother, the traditional perimeter frame is replaced by a “frameless” arrangement that uses an airbox bolted to the front cylinder, doubling as a subframe to hold on the forks. The swingarm is bolted to the engine and a dinky rear subframe bolted to the rear cylinder supports the rider.

Re: Ducati 899 Panigale

That sir is a bad ass bike, and a bad ass price tag for what you get. Can't wait till 2014!

That is gorgeous. I liked the 848 already but the 899 is SICK!
    2005 Suzuki SV650s Blue (SOLD), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636 Lime Green

148bhp my ass, the 1199 barely makes that.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    148bhp my ass, the 1199 barely makes that.
    S1000 haters lol, everyone who dynos the 1199 correctly (disconnects the rear wheel sensor) is getting mid 170s to the wheel on the Panigale, even the magazines doing it wrong are getting 165. I can see a bike with 2/3 the displacement making 148 and putting mid 130s to the wheel for sure.

Senior Member Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado S14 View Post
    S1000 haters lol, everyone who dynos the 1199 correctly (disconnects the rear wheel sensor) is getting mid 170s to the wheel on the Panigale, even the magazines doing it wrong are getting 165. I can see a bike with 2/3 the displacement making 148 and putting mid 130s to the wheel for sure.
    Oh it's not that Aaron is hating on the 1199 Panigale in particular. Fact is, there's not a single bike in the history of bikes that compares to his S1000RR. The bike with the most horsepower is > everything else. But don't mention to him that it's still slower around a track than a CBR1000RR or an RSV4, because anybody that owns anything else is wrong, and needs to be reminded of their poor choice in motorcycles as often as is humanly possible.

Got to give Ducati credit for name placement. I count 12 visible name logo's.
    Owner and General Manager - Fun Center Cycles in Durango, CO

11 BMW S1000RR - Street - Lady on the street
    13 Kawi ZX6R - Track - Freak in the bed
    13 Triumph Daytona 675R - Wifes bike

2014 MRA 400 Production Class Champion

I wonder if Ducati has corrected the "expanding gas tank" that the 848's had?
    2011 Ducati 848 Evo "Bautista"
    2002 Honda RC-51 "Big Boi"

"Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn!"

The reindeer mirrors looks fabulous

Senior Member Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mdub View Post
    The reindeer mirrors looks fabulous
    Hahaha, I was thinking they look more like one of these.

So how does disconnecting a sensor make more horsepower?

Sport Riders highest dyno on a Panigale S was 156whp, and Motorcyclist's highest, on a Panigale R, was 154.

You all act like this is the first time. Ducati is a "lifestyle"(marketing) company and they're always optimistic with their numbers.

I'm still waiting for the reviews to come out, but it seems like Ducati's are always pretty and difficult to ride. I think I'd still get a 675R if I were shopping in that class. Honestly, the only Ducati I'd probably buy over another bike in its class is the Hyper SP, and that's largely just because it's a hell of a lot newer than anything else it's competing against.
    Last edited by big_sur; Thu Sep 19th, 2013 at 08:56 PM.

I would too. And at 115whp, the 675R would probably beat the 848. The Panigale is a beautiful bike, and is competitively competent on the track, but I have a horsepower addiction, so that's what's important to me. The 675R rode great, I test rode a new one, and it was a fantastic bike. But the ergos just didn't click with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    So how does disconnecting a sensor make more horsepower?

Sport Riders highest dyno on a Panigale S was 156whp, and Motorcyclist's highest, on a Panigale R, was 154.
    Lots of the magazine did not dyno the bike correctly, the fact of the matter is that the Panigale cuts power when you leave the rear sensor connected. This is nothing new in the automotive world many BMWs and other higher tech cars will not dyno full power if these sensors are connected. When they dis-connect the sensor the Panigale is usually 5-10whp less than the S1000RR. They got 162 here for example 10 less than the S1000.
    http://www.motorcycle.com/gallery/ga..._itemId=334570
    Then you factor in weight, the Pani has a wet weight of 414lbs and the S1000RR is at 458lbs, run the power to weight ratio and even if it has a full 10whp less than the S1000 it still has the better power to weight ratio. If you hop on any of the Panigale forums you will see that actual owners who take their bike to the dyno are getting anywhere from 165whp to 175whp stock depending on the dyno and day. The guys running full systems with Rexxer flashes are doing 185whp-195whp depending on the dyno and day. So talk horsepower all you want, you have the best sportbike to do so, but just understand that the Panigale is barely down and weighs 40lbs less so unless the guy you are racing is much heavier than you I would recommend against putting money on the race you may be surprised to find yourself falling behind.

Lots of the magazine did not dyno the bike correctly, the fact of the matter is that the Panigale cuts power when you leave the rear sensor connected. This is nothing new in the automotive world many BMWs and other higher tech cars will not dyno full power if these sensors are connected. When they dis-connect the sensor the Panigale is usually 5-10whp less than the S1000RR. They got 162 here for example 10 less than the S1000.
    http://www.motorcycle.com/gallery/ga..._itemId=334570
    Then you factor in weight, the Pani has a wet weight of 414lbs and the S1000RR is at 458lbs, run the power to weight ratio and even if it has a full 10whp less than the S1000 it still has the better power to weight ratio. If you hop on any of the Panigale forums you will see that actual owners who take their bike to the dyno are getting anywhere from 165whp to 175whp stock depending on the dyno and day. The guys running full systems with Rexxer flashes are doing 185whp-195whp depending on the dyno and day. So talk horsepower all you want, you have the best sportbike to do so, but just understand that the Panigale is barely down and weighs 40lbs less so unless the guy you are racing is much heavier than you I would recommend against putting money on the race you may be surprised to find yourself falling behind.
    I appreciate the weight, but everything I read says to get the RSV4 if you want the fastest or the S1000RR if you want the best overall package, despite the Aprilia being 5 years old I might add. Ducati of late always seems to come out with a pretty bike that's marketed to hell and back with great numbers, but just doesn't stack up in real world tests. If you're releasing a new bike, it should be better than the current competition, and really the only place I can see where Ducati does that is in the aesthetics department.

Quote Originally Posted by big_sur View Post
    I appreciate the weight, but everything I read says to get the RSV4 if you want the fastest or the S1000RR if you want the best overall package, despite the Aprilia being 5 years old I might add. Ducati of late always seems to come out with a pretty bike that's marketed to hell and back with great numbers, but just doesn't stack up in real world tests. If you're releasing a new bike, it should be better than the current competition, and really the only place I can see where Ducati does that is in the aesthetics department.
    I am not trying to argue that the Panigale is the best bike I am just defending it against inaccuracys on the amount of power the bike makes and the perception that horsepower is everything. My point is simply that you can take a bike with less or slightly less power and if it is lighter it will actually be the faster bike, the Ducati Diavel is a decent example pretty much just as fast as a VMax with less power due to weight. I agree with you that the RSV4 is the best Superbike out there right now for most, the S1000 may be faster but the RSV4 is the best handling of the bunch and often wins the lap time battle as a result and on top of that it is much cheaper than the Ducati or BMW.

I think that being better than the current competition should be the goal for every manufacturer when releasing a new bike, but 50% of the time it wont be. Think of the 1000cc or 600cc sportbike class, there is a good chance that any of the manufacturers may release a new bike that still does not beat the current king. Triumph released the Daytona 675 and I have not seen it lose a comparison since it was released even though the Japanese manufactures have all released new bikes since then. I think that once you strike gold with a design (Daytona 675, Aprilia RSV4 and Tuono, BMW GS) it takes many years for others to surpass that with a new bike.

Nicky sure did do well on the Panigale. So good he was beating lap records set by Bayliss.
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

Quote Originally Posted by kawasakirob View Post
    Nicky sure did do well on the Panigale. So good he was beating lap records set by Bayliss.
    Those bikes are a far cry from what walks off the showroom floor

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Generic's Avatar

And here is a ride report - http://rideapart.com/2013/10/2014-du...nigale-review/

“We wanted a bike that riders will be able to wring the most out of in the canyons,” the 899 Panigale’s project leader, Paul Ventura, told us this morning. Before joining Ducati, he lived in Southern California, so is familiar with realistic sport riding conditions on the road. It’s there that the 899 is designed to work just as well as it will on the track, allowing more riders to access the Panigale’s magic, more of the time.

What is that object between the rear fender and seat???

reservoir for the rear shock

Quote Originally Posted by big_sur View Post
    reservoir for the rear shock

or the exhaust and heat shield covering it
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

i watched a base model pani put down 151 at a dyno comp edging out my r1 by 6 hp
    ~Scott #119

I do the love the looks of the pani for sure. Little bit sketch about how you said its built. I've seen them struggle with the big bike on the world stage in sbk but its doing pretty dam well in ss. Way to rich for my blood though. I'll take the R1 thanks.
    I know its No "s1000r"