Thread: Need an HVAC guy

Need an HVAC guy

Any on here looking for a small side project? Apparently the furnace I have for my house is about 25% too large for it and therefore the return air is 25% too small. Need to look at running new duct work somewhere to increase the return air and possibly talk about installing an A/C unit in the spring. Would like to keep it within the CSC family if possible. Hit me up if this is something you could handle.
    Firefighters find them hot, leave them wet

Re: Need an HVAC guy

Send a PM to NUTZ (Brian).
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Gold Member

Are you flex or hard pipe?

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    Are you flex or hard pipe?
    .....Im straight.

Not a clue what you are talking about. The return air is square tin as well as the ducts.
    Firefighters find them hot, leave them wet

What reoccurring issues are you having?

Where did these 25% figures come from?

How do you want the ideal furnace to work?
    It works! Slow in, Fast out
    "Sarcasm is difficult to convey on the internet, especially if the people reading it don't know you personally". By Spiderman
    Neither irony nor sarcasm is argument. By Rufus Choate
    Be smart, be nice, do what'cha love and always have fun.
    Let food be your medicine, and medicine be your food. - Hippocrates
    I will use treatment to help the sick. I will never use it to injure them or wrong them. I will not give poison to anyone. - The Hippocratic Oath

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sparker View Post
    .....Im straight.

Not a clue what you are talking about. The return air is square tin as well as the ducts.
    Hahahaha... that sucks. Hard pipe or tin as you call it makes the job a little tougher. What I would look into is doing flex. Rip that "tin" out and then make the choice to either run another return in another room with a y to the furnace or just cut the hole bigger in the furnace and return air can. Not really a hard job to do and you could save some bucks doing it yourself.

http://m.homedepot.com/b/Heating-Ven.../N-5yc1vZc4nk/

Hey Sparker. My HVAC guy told me what to do for the same issue that you are having. He also said it was easy enough (for my installation) for me to do, so he told me instead of charging me.

Regarding the return air being box shaped. All you need to do is turn your furnace breaker off and then look inside the blower section of your furnace and see how much clearance you have between the metal side and the blower cage. If you have an inch or more, you can easily measure/cut a hole, put a round metal flange in there, and then attach a new series of 6" or 8" round duct and route it up and away to get clean air. I also had to install some air ducts (in my rooms with poor circulation) so the hot air could be forced out and then be pulled back into the basement via a new duct above my basement door. I spent about $100 in parts and 3 hours in time and my system works much better now - 2 story house with the furnace in the basement.

It could be a simple project if you want to tackle it yourself. I can send you an email with some pictures of my changes which would likely be what you need.