Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Range Rover runs over bikers in NYC

Re: Range Rover runs over bikers in NYC

This is officially front page news now. Why is it that douchebags with motorcycles always get to represent motorcyclists in the public forum?

Quote Originally Posted by big_sur View Post
    This is officially front page news now. Why is it that douchebags with motorcycles always get to represent motorcyclists in the public forum?
    Because all the 'news' is these days is sensationalism to sell ad revenue/drive people to their sites.
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    '12 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '08 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '05 Suzuki SV1000S - Sold
    '07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    Laws were broken on both sides, I'm sure the cops are thinking round up the usual suspects.
    If you mean the Range Rover driver broke laws, I guess technically you are right. Once a motorcycle brake checks me causing a crash, remember I couldn't swerve to avoid the impact because my SUV is completely surrounded by bikes, and then people slash my tires after the crash, you can bet your ass I will break every law necessary to protect my family from a mob of angry and aggressive douchebags that created the situation that led to the crash.
    Last edited by JKOL; Tue Oct 1st, 2013 at 04:10 PM.

Jason
    07 600RR
    07 Speed Triple -[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)] [/COLOR]GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)][/COLOR]

I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by BC14 View Post
    Because all the 'news' is these days is sensationalism to sell ad revenue/drive people to their sites.
    Yeah notice how the shut down of the government has taken a back seat to all this? Once again our worthless politicians can't get a budget together. But no let's bitch about some wannabe biker boys and a dumbass SUV. Sounds like a plan. Sheep.

Gotta wonder where the police were during all this.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by JKOL View Post
    If you mean the Range Rover driver broke laws, I guess technically your are right. Once a motorcycle brake checks me causing a crash, remember I couldn't swerve to avoid the impact because my SUV is completely surrounded by bikes, and then people slash my tires after the crash, you can bet your ass I will break every law necessary to protect my family from a mob of angry and aggressive douchebags that created the situation that led to the crash.
    The police seem to be taking the same stance here. The SUV driver is the victim. "It was an accident," says Lt. Karen Anderson.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/30/us/new...tml?hpt=hp_bn1
    Owner and General Manager - Fun Center Cycles in Durango, CO

11 BMW S1000RR - Street - Lady on the street
    13 Kawi ZX6R - Track - Freak in the bed
    13 Triumph Daytona 675R - Wifes bike

2014 MRA 400 Production Class Champion

Quote Originally Posted by JKOL View Post
    ...Once a motorcycle brake checks me causing a crash, remember I couldn't swerve to avoid the impact because my SUV is completely surrounded by bikes, and then people slash my tires after the crash, you can bet your ass I will break every law necessary to protect my family from a mob of angry and aggressive douchebags that created the situation that led to the crash.
    Fuck yeah, especially if my family is in the car, then all bets are off. Wife/GF will call the police, while I do everything to get them to safety, including running over an angry and threatening looking MOB.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Fuck yeah, especially if my family is in the car, then all bets are off. Wife/GF will call the police, while I do everything to get them to safety, including running over an angry and threatening looking MOB.
    ^this forsure!

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    Gotta wonder where the police were during all this.
    We saw a video less than 6 1/2 minutes long. That would be an astonishing response time to a static call of the highest priority. This is not only a dynamic call (Traveling), but it is also not the highest in priority. It would bump to the next level at the very end, but up until then this would have been a priority 3 call, midway through the 6-tier system. Which means it probably would have held. Secondly, the fact that it's traveling makes it a very difficult call to get to. It is actually very difficult and time consuming to catch up to, or intersect with, a moving caller, especially when the call doesn't justify lights/sirens (This one would not have). Believe it or not most people are terrible with giving a dispatcher directions. Right on Santa Fe is not a good direction, and it immediately confuses the entire response. Next, there is an inevitable delay between "Turning south on Santa Fe from 1st," the dispatcher entering that, and finding radio time to air it to the responding Officers, and their reacting to that.

Quite frankly, I would've been shocked if any agency would have had Officers on scene during the video we watched. And if they did, it would've been purely by luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    We saw a video less than 6 1/2 minutes long. That would be an astonishing response time to a static call of the highest priority. This is not only a dynamic call (Traveling), but it is also not the highest in priority. It would bump to the next level at the very end, but up until then this would have been a priority 3 call, midway through the 6-tier system. Which means it probably would have held. Secondly, the fact that it's traveling makes it a very difficult call to get to. It is actually very difficult and time consuming to catch up to, or intersect with, a moving caller, especially when the call doesn't justify lights/sirens (This one would not have). Believe it or not most people are terrible with giving a dispatcher directions. Right on Santa Fe is not a good direction, and it immediately confuses the entire response. Next, there is an inevitable delay between "Turning south on Santa Fe from 1st," the dispatcher entering that, and finding radio time to air it to the responding Officers, and their reacting to that.

Quite frankly, I would've been shocked if any agency would have had Officers on scene during the video we watched. And if they did, it would've been purely by luck.
    I appreciate the honest response, and I truly appreciate how difficult your job is, but your response just proves the point that when seconds count, the police are only minutes away. There is nothing you can do to change that, and I get that. Police can't be everywhere they are needed which is why as you stated there is a priority rating on calls. This incident is why I simply can't comprehend the anti-gun side saying let the police handle it. I get that everyone has the right to choose to defend them self or wait for police, but it scares me that the "let the police do their job" crowd refuse to see my side and my desire to have a chance to protect myself. This could very easily have turned into the police arrive in time to draw a chalk outline around the driver, luckily that wasn't the case.

Jason
    07 600RR
    07 Speed Triple -[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)] [/COLOR]GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)][/COLOR]

Ask Bruzer what the real story was, he was there.

It's really odd when you, as a biker, find yourself siding with an SUV driver. Some people ride bikes for the fun and speed, others do it because they can get with their friends and be all "Billy Badass". They're not hard to spot

Present: 2006 GSXR 750 (black/yellow), 2006 Yamaha R6r (blue)
    Sold: 2011 Ninja 250 (green/black), 2007 R6s (blue)

JKOL, I agree with everything you said. The police don't protect me, they punish those who I've had to protect myself from.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    JKOL, I agree with everything you said. The police don't protect me, they punish those who I've had to protect myself from.
    Which is exactly what they are doing in this case. Reviewing all the video the dumbass bikers provided and punishing the responsible parties.

Jason
    07 600RR

I understand your desire to protect your family, but I'm not sure whether it's justifiable to run over someone as a preventative defense measure just because they're part of an angry and threatening looking mob. You seem like a reasonable guy though, so I assume that you would only run over someone if you felt that your or your family's lives were in imminent danger and there was no other way to escape or defend yourself - like driving to the nearest police station, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanatos View Post
    I understand your desire to protect your family, but I'm not sure whether it's justifiable to run over someone as a preventative defense measure just because they're part of an angry and threatening looking mob. You seem like a reasonable guy though, so I assume that you would only run over someone if you felt that your or your family's lives were in imminent danger and there was no other way to escape or defend yourself - like driving to the nearest police station, for example.
    how would you attempt this drive to nearest police station when they are surrounding you, braking your windows slashing your tires... would you get out and kindly ask them to move.... cause that is what happened and in the end they did brake his window pull him out and cut hit with a knife and leave him unconscious.

He did not try to speed away till after they had started to wreck his vehicle. I would say more need to read full description of to why he ran before they want to use a common sense answer to a situation that was not there. if you have 40 bikes chasing a car how would a cop car get through when they had already shut down the high way and some on ramps as you can see in videos.

two people were harmed due to the actions of a few and the biker that got run over his family still thinks its the drivers fault for fleeing his friends and the mayhem they started
    No tickets YET this year *Knock on wood*

07 Audi S4 DTM
    06 CBR 1000rr

Quote Originally Posted by AOK303 View Post
    how would you attempt this drive to nearest police station when they are surrounding you, braking your windows slashing your tires... would you get out and kindly ask them to move.... cause that is what happened and in the end they did brake his window pull him out and cut hit with a knife and leave him unconscious.

He did not try to speed away till after they had started to wreck his vehicle. I would say more need to read full description of to why he ran before they want to use a common sense answer to a situation that was not there. if you have 40 bikes chasing a car how would a cop car get through when they had already shut down the high way and some on ramps as you can see in videos.

two people were harmed due to the actions of a few and the biker that got run over his family still thinks its the drivers fault for fleeing his friends and the mayhem they started
    Exactly.

I understand the desire of some to try to think of a reasonable solution to this situation, but you can't reason with people who left reason at home, assuming they ever had it to begin with. This situation went from let's show this cager who owns the road but still relatively calm to out of f*&king hand in a split second. The drivers only option was stay there and hope nothing bad happened, which clearly wasn't a logical outcome given what was already happening, or flee with zero regard for the bikers that chose to stop in the middle of a highway and surround his vehicle.

I don't think most people realize that after the brake check turned bad, on the blind side of the vehicle away from the camera's view, bikers were already hitting the vehicle and slashing the tires. At that point the only reasonable action in my opinion is get away from the situation by any means necessary. As for getting off the highway to head to a police station, that is another very poor solution. You run the risk running into stop and go traffic which is exactly how the driver got caught and pulled out of his vehicle. He ran into traffic and probably couldn't decide to ram his way through cars that had nothing to do with him being in danger.

Jason
    07 600RR

Gold Member

Are you girls still talking about this?? Who gives a flying fuck? Its fucking new York!! The riders were assholes. The SUV driver was an asshole. THEY ARE NEW YORKERS THEY ARE ALL ASSHOLES. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    Are you girls still talking about this?? Who gives a flying fuck? Its fucking new York!! The riders were assholes. The SUV driver was an asshole. THEY ARE NEW YORKERS THEY ARE ALL ASSHOLES. lol.
    Pretty much my take.

Not knowing what started it, I think the RR actions are justified for the time period we see. They forced him to stop and then slashed his tires and bashed his car with helmets.
    2005 GSXR 1000 - Not stock...
    2006 SV650S - Rebuild in progress, with some upgrades...
    1998 Yamaha WR400 - Not stock...
    2008 Dodge QCSB 6.7L Cummins - 525/1019 HP/TQ

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

If they all would have had guns, this would have went much more smoothly.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    If they all would have had guns, this would have went much more smoothly.
    I am not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but it was the first thing I thought of when I saw the video. Everyone would have chilled the fuck out if EVERYONE was carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by j0ker View Post
    I am not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but it was the first thing I thought of when I saw the video. Everyone would have chilled the fuck out if EVERYONE was carrying.
    Somehow I think not. I would suggest a lot of people would have been shot if EVERYONE was carrying. The SUV driver pulls a gun, the morons on bikes pull a gun, the SUV guy shoots, the other guys shoot, lots of people end up shot. My gun training was always "only point a gun at someone/something you intend to kill".
    1989 Honda Hawk,2005 crf250x supermoto

It is better to communicate good information than to offer misinformation in the name of good communication. Alastair B Fraser

New Your Daily News: Biker surrenders to New York cops after another arrested for accident that caused attack on SUV driver

Cops have arrested two of the bikers who they say sparked a hell-on-wheels ordeal in upper Manhattan that ended with a mob beating and slashing a man in front of his wife and 2-year-old. As Christopher Cruz, 28, was awaiting arraignment on charges stemming from the attack on Alexian Lien, police arrested a second motorcyclist, Allen Edwards, 42, of Queens.

Cruz was charged with menacing, reckless endangerment and endangering the welfare of a child. Edwards surrendered after police released a photo of him. He was charged Tuesday night with reckless endangerment, criminal mischief and menacing, police said. Sources said Edwards was the biker shown in an online video pounding on the rear window of Lien’s Range Rover while another brute bashed in the driver’s-side window using his helmet. Cops were still searching for other motorcyclists who dragged Lien out of the SUV and beat and slashed him.

Lien was not charged, angering relatives of biker Edwin Mieses, 32, of Lawrence, Mass., who had both legs broken when Lien ran him over trying escape the pack.

“You have to look at the totality of the circumstances and that’s what we’re doing,” said NYPD Commissioner Raymond Kelly, noting that Lien fled the attacking bikers in fear for his and his family’s safety.

Mieses’ mother, Yolando Santiago, said her son is “trying to hang on for dear life. They’re making the riders out to be bad people. They’re not,” Santiago insisted from her Lawrence home Tuesday.

Mieses’ wife, Dayana Mieses, told The News her husband is in a medically induced coma at St. Luke’s Hospital. “This man needs to know he hurt someone,” said she said of Lien.

Christopher Cruz shown here on white bike.
    Edwin Mieses, Jr. (Green Bike) was run over as the Range Rover pulled away.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Justi...11664345601619
    Last edited by Snowman; Wed Oct 2nd, 2013 at 12:20 PM.

MRA Racer No.427

Quote Originally Posted by Filo View Post
    Somehow I think not. I would suggest a lot of people would have been shot if EVERYONE was carrying. The SUV driver pulls a gun, the morons on bikes pull a gun, the SUV guy shoots, the other guys shoot, lots of people end up shot. My gun training was always "only point a gun at someone/something you intend to kill".
    I, and most people I know realize that if they become involved in an altercation, and they're carrying, there's going to be at LEAST 1 gun in the mix. The realization that it may not be the ONLY one certainly damps the enthusiasm for a good ol' fist fight. Most CCW holders I know will go to great lengths to de-escalate or avoid a confrontation. This situation was something else entirely. A MOB of idiots that had already shown their disregard for law and the safety of others were DIRECTLY threatening the driver of the SUV and his family with physical violence, and indeed caused him significant harm. At that point, he was pretty much justified to do whatever was necessary to end the threat (or at least he would be in Colorado, I dunno about the law in NYC).
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"