Thread: UPDATED! One last hurrah for 2013. 3rd annual Taos trip! Oct 19 & 20

UPDATED! One last hurrah for 2013. 3rd annual Taos trip! Oct 19 & 20

Updated the date to next weekend. I ordered new tires earlier this week but they weren't delivered until 5pm on Friday. Moving to next weekend assuming we still have good weather.

First of all, sorry this is short notice!

If you want to go on this trip, please reply here and PM me. You can also text me @ 719-201-9383 for a faster response.

2011 Taos Ride Report

2012 Taos ride report

This is Clovis fall riding tradition. See 2011 ride report (lots of photos and route details) and 2012 ride reports for details and past ride reports. Here is your chance to be a part of history!

This is a 1,000 mile two-day epic ride that features Black Canyon, Million Dollar Highway, Carson National Forest (aka Carson National Raceway), Circle of Enchantment and of course Taos. Prepare for some of the year's best riding.

Being the off season, the roads are light on traffic and Carson is one of my all time favorite areas this time of year. The last two years I've done this ride with a companion and we've had the twisty roads to our selves. I think last year I saw maybe 10 other vehicles in the forest.

And yes, the forest is open. The federally owned attractions/touristy stuff is closed but we just fly past that anyways.

When: Saturday/Sunday Oct 19/20
    Leaving from: Colorado Springs - Acorn gas station located at Highway 24 and 8th street. Alternatively meet at my home, about 3 minutes away for breakfast before we leave.
    KSU: 7:30 or 8am. If you're joining from Denver I can accommodate you with a later start time of 8am.

We'll get a motel in Farmington, NM or alternatively Durango, CO.

Dress in layers! It will be cold (obviously) in the morning but warming up nicely by late morning. Highs range from 55 to 65 degrees this weekend. Perfect fall riding temps!

I highly recommend that you bring a clear shield and sunglasses or both a clear and tinted shield. The last leg of the trip is heading west with the sun setting directly in front of you. Both years I've ridden the last half hour or so in the dark. The alternative route is counter-clockwise which avoids this problem.

Estimated cost: $200 for fuel, food and lodging, ect.

Ride difficulty level: Intermediate to expert. If you've ridden the Black Canyon day trip (500 mile trip) this is along the same lines in difficulty. Million Dollar highway and black canyon has a mix of slow technical turns (a few) and a lot of speed sweepers. The difficulty of this ride is the endurance as we're doing two days of 500 miles. On a sport bike this can be moderately tiring.

Pace: I ride at "the pace" and my goal is to cover and average of 50 miles per hour excluding an hour break for lunch. So 500 miles should take 11 hours (10 hours of riding, 1 hour lunch).

Looking for at least 1 companion, no more then 4 bikes total.

Cheers!

Clovis
    Last edited by Clovis; Sat Oct 12th, 2013 at 01:01 PM.
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Re: One last hurrah for 2013. 3rd annual Taos trip! Oct 12 & 13

Sounds Efin Sik !! I can't work with the short notice though or I'd be hitting you up for this good time. Have fun ride safe see ya when ya get back perhaps.