Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GSXR 750

Re: GSXR 750

Quote Originally Posted by Drama2 View Post
    I need to fix my above...I didnt order the Q3,s, I ordered the knee grips that One-ops suggested. I think he was referring to my tires because the guy who owned the bike really only rode it in a straight line, I can feel the flatness of the center of the back tire. I do appreciate all advice and you all are looking out for me and i am looking for the tire that will get me through about 4000 miles during next season and as well will grip the road. I say so now, but i am not going to the track. So i have to do some research from the 3 options posted on here, but do know that knew tires do need to be ordered. So please continue, with suggestions. Uggg what to order.
    Lots of people say this, but once you get onto a racetrack. Believe me, it's well worth the time and money spent. Get out on track and learn from the racers. It's the quickest way to get better and faster in a hurry. Follow around some of the racers, use the lines they are using. Use the body position they are using and pretty soon you start keeping up with them in more than just a corner or two. Then, it's for half a lap, then it's the whole lap you start keeping them in sight. I never rode so fast at La Junta, until I followed David Lambert around for a couple laps. He eventually left my friend and I, but we kept him in front of us for a few laps but just couldn't sustain the pace he was setting. Same for PMI. My friend and I started following around some of the MRA guys and just tagging along with them in their "racer sessions" and we shaved massive amounts of time off our lap times.

My very first track day at PMI, I was lapping at 2:05, which is gawd awful slow!! Then the next time I tried to ride as hard and as fast as I could. Thought I did a good job, until I got back and my friend clocked me at 1:56's. It wasn't until we started learning from racers and doing more and more track days that we learned the proper lines, how to brake and use the right amount of throttle. I had a bad accident at PMI in Turn 5 back in 2006, that sidelined me(the bike, not me)for a few months. Once I had her back together, I managed two more track days after the crash. I know on our last track day at PMI, using all the knowledge, teaching and practice we'd received my friend and I were lapping in the 1:43's consistently and managed to drop as low as high 1:41-42's. We weren't using a transponder but a stopwatch. We'd take turns clocking each other. Stopwatch isn't as precise as a transponder but gets you close enough.

I felt very good knowing that I had started out as a canyon junkie who thought he was fast, only to find out I wasn't very fast. Then to go to the track, log hundreds of laps and to walk away with shaving off over 20 seconds from my initial laps to when I stopped going to the track. LOL, I still don't feel I'm as fast as I could be and my lap times are nothing compared to what the MRA guys can do. Here's where the fun part comes in though. I'm planning on going back to the track next year. Not sure if I can run my old lap times. I think I will be very close, as I did all my laps on stock suspension bikes(albeit set-up to some degree), with bolt-on go fast goodies and Supercorsa tires.

I recommended Supercorsa's as I've come to love the tire and honestly won't use anything else. It's a tire that gives me confidence in myself and the bike. I use them on the street because of the extra grip they give me...

P.S.
    also once you hit the track and get a few track days under your belt. The mountain canyons will never feel the same. When I ride the mountains now, everything feels like it's at half speed. I don't ride in the mountains as fast as possible. I go up there to hit corners fat and get my knee down. But seeing what I can do on the track and compare it to the mountains is night and day. A person(me personally) couldn't ride the mountains like you do at the track. You'll end up going down or having an accident. But also when you do go back to the mountains, you'll have tons of self confidence in knowing you can handle whatever the mountain can throw at you. I used to get surprised at times while riding in the mountains because I was riding past my limit at times. Now, nothing surprises me in the mountains because I'm ready for everything. Track days put your mind in a different gear altogether. You elevate your level of riding so much at the track, that everything else becomes a rung down on the ladder....
    Last edited by The Black Knight; Tue Oct 29th, 2013 at 06:06 PM. Reason: damn typos!!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Chocolate Thunder

I have thought about taking a class down at PMI for the knowledge from Nick I. (Hint Hint). Can't ever beat knowledge and the worth it has.
    PS: So are you a black guy?

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Lots of people say this, but once you get onto a racetrack. Believe me, it's well worth the time and money spent. Get out on track and learn from the racers. It's the quickest way to get better and faster in a hurry. Follow around some of the racers, use the lines they are using. Use the body position they are using and pretty soon you start keeping up with them in more than just a corner or two. Then, it's for half a lap, then it's the whole lap you start keeping them in sight. I never rode so fast at La Junta, until I followed David Lambert around for a couple laps. He eventually left my friend and I, but we kept him in front of us for a few laps but just couldn't sustain the pace he was setting. Same for PMI. My friend and I started following around some of the MRA guys and just tagging along with them in their "racer sessions" and we shaved massive amounts of time off our lap times.

My very first track day at PMI, I was lapping at 2:05, which is gawd awful slow!! Then the next time I tried to ride as hard and as fast as I could. Thought I did a good job, until I got back and my friend clocked me at 1:56's. It wasn't until we started learning from racers and doing more and more track days that we learned the proper lines, how to brake and use the right amount of throttle. I had a bad accident at PMI in Turn 5 back in 2006, that sidelined me(the bike, not me)for a few months. Once I had her back together, I managed two more track days after the crash. I know on our last track day at PMI, using all the knowledge, teaching and practice we'd received my friend and I were lapping in the 1:43's consistently and managed to drop as low as high 1:41-42's. We weren't using a transponder but a stopwatch. We'd take turns clocking each other. Stopwatch isn't as precise as a transponder but gets you close enough.

I felt very good knowing that I had started out as a canyon junkie who thought he was fast, only to find out I wasn't very fast. Then to go to the track, log hundreds of laps and to walk away with shaving off over 20 seconds from my initial laps to when I stopped going to the track. LOL, I still don't feel I'm as fast as I could be and my lap times are nothing compared to what the MRA guys can do. Here's where the fun part comes in though. I'm planning on going back to the track next year. Not sure if I can run my old lap times. I think I will be very close, as I did all my laps on stock suspension bikes(albeit set-up to some degree), with bolt-on go fast goodies and Supercorsa tires.

I recommended Supercorsa's as I've come to love the tire and honestly won't use anything else. It's a tire that gives me confidence in myself and the bike. I use them on the street because of the extra grip they give me...

P.S.
    also once you hit the track and get a few track days under your belt. The mountain canyons will never feel the same. When I ride the mountains now, everything feels like it's at half speed. I don't ride in the mountains as fast as possible. I go up there to hit corners fat and get my knee down. But seeing what I can do on the track and compare it to the mountains is night and day. A person(me personally) couldn't ride the mountains like you do at the track. You'll end up going down or having an accident. But also when you do go back to the mountains, you'll have tons of self confidence in knowing you can handle whatever the mountain can throw at you. I used to get surprised at times while riding in the mountains because I was riding past my limit at times. Now, nothing surprises me in the mountains because I'm ready for everything. Track days put your mind in a different gear altogether. You elevate your level of riding so much at the track, that everything else becomes rung down on the ladder....

Kerry
    Suzuki Gladius 650
    GSXR 750

Taste the rainbow...B*itch
    http://www.pajiba.com/videos/awesome...inbow-btch.php

I'm about to buy a 750 from my sv650. Good info
    06 GSXR 750

I have thought about taking a class down at PMI for the knowledge from Nick I. (Hint Hint). Can't ever beat knowledge and the worth it has.
    PS: So are you a black guy?
    LOL!!!!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Chocolate Thunder

So what happened with the 600.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ph03niX View Post
    I'm about to buy a 750 from my sv650. Good info

Kerry
    Suzuki Gladius 650
    GSXR 750

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    I'm going to have to disagree with this a little bit. I've rocked Supercorsa's for years on my sportbikes through Spring, Summer and Fall. Never had issues and always had tons of grip. Did a lot of track days with them as well. I will say that when I did get a new bike and it had the stock or better than stock tires on it, I was always let down by the lack of grip and non-confidence inspiring feeling I would get from the tires.

Now obviously, I haven't had a bunch of experience with all the brands of street tires, but I have had the chance to sample Dunlop D207's, 208's 228's and Bridgestone(can't remember the model but it was for sure a street tire, lots of tread pattern). And without a doubt all of those tires I mentioned drove me nuts when I rode on them. Only reason I did ride them, was didn't want to just throw away a good set of tires, so when I'd get a new bike I'd burn up the stock tires they came with. Of all the stock/OEM type tires I used, I'll give the Bridgestones the highest marks(they were on my Hayabusa) and they did a good job, and had what I would call O.K. grip levels.

Now with my R1, my 02 GSX-R1000 and now my current 03 GSX-R1000, I always felt more confident and right at home on a set of Supercorsa's. And here's where I'm sure I'll catch some flack. I also ran "Race Take-Offs" primarily. Only ever had one set of new Supercorsa's, all of the other sets I've used in the past were race take-offs. Most of the Supercorsa's I got had plenty of life left in them, and I still would manage to get about 3000 street miles and usually two track days out of a set before it was time to change.

So with that being said, to the OP... I know she's a newer rider and stepping up to a GSX-R750 from a 650. So it's going to be a change for sure. But I would recommend that once she gets some miles and experience, to look into Supercorsa's or tires that are equal. Doesn't mean she has to run them, but check them out. I personally love the level of grip I get from them. Then again, and I'll admit it when I'm in the mountains. I do push the limits to a degree. I'm very honest about it, LOL!!! I couldn't care less about the scenery, I'm there for one reason and that's to drag my knee around every corner. So for me, I like having the extra grip a DOT tire...
    I'm not talking about OEM rubber, they're made to a price point. I'm talking about the latest ST rubber like PR3's. The grip levels are impressive especially in the wet and they last a lot longer. You are right about the track making you better. I raced AFM back in the day and it was a night and day difference in my riding ability. It makes you feel like a super hero out on the road.

So what happened with the 600.
    I've wanted the 750 forever but it was just too expensive for me. Well I decided the investment is worth it since I'll probably buy one later.. So I'm forkin over the $$$ lol. And it's better for 2 up, which I tend to do a lot.
    06 GSXR 750

Chocolate Thunder

Congrats on your new bike as well......what year are you getting..have you tried the 750 yet and the modes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ph03niX View Post
    I've wanted the 750 forever but it was just too expensive for me. Well I decided the investment is worth it since I'll probably buy one later.. So I'm forkin over the $$$ lol. And it's better for 2 up, which I tend to do a lot.

Kerry
    Suzuki Gladius 650
    GSXR 750

Love the super corsa race tires I have never felt so much from grip as I have from the national sets I've ran. Front feel is amazing. Straight up super man. That said everything has a limit I have crashed on them. Good to hear their street stuff is good I've never ridin any of their street stuff. I've hated the Dunlop street tires but this was back on the 208's grip was ok at first then got worse and worse then the front would slide everywhere and I never felt set in the corner had feedback from the front though it just never had anything good to tell me. Moved to pilot powers and grip was better profile was better but feed back was muted but postive feel up until the point they would just slide without much warning controlable for the most part and for me I get shook more if its the the front but seemed like the rear was doing it more. Then came 2cts and it was better in the canyons but worse on track days. I was happy with 2cts on the street forsure. Thats why I went with the pures for coming back on the street and I've liked them alot. I've only had one slide from the front and that was just a to cold pushing umm a bit to far deal. I've done a track day on them and had no tire related grip issues at all. I have to get use to tires wearing in the middle again though. lol Close to 3 thousand miles on these and can start to feel the profile flating out turn in not quite as crisp as it was. I'm a would rather have a softer tire guy as well so I can do some track days with them still. And in doing so nothing is going last all that long.
    Plus one on track riding. This where you truly learn how to ride. Can't speak highly enough for doing so. Any thing even slightly sport you should have some track time and skill set. I'll talk to you some more about.

Kerry, the way I see it these are your tire choices: If you want a good all-around tire that will give you good handling, braking, traction, the best performance in the wet and the longest life-span go with a top quality ST tire. Get a dual compound model to get maximum sport performance and longevity. This is what I run and I ride at very brisk pace in the canyons with no problems with a lack of traction. If you want the sharpest handling, the most traction and braking and don't care how often you need to buy new tires. If wet traction isn't paramount and you might want to do a few track days, then a premium road sport tire is what you should get.

A good compromise that I like on some bikes is to use a full on sport tire on the front because most bikes will use up two rears to every one front. The sport front will last at least as long as a ST rear. This arraignment gives you maximum traction on the front where you need it the most and you won't be changing tires every time you turn around. I recommend this for the track though.

I meant I DON'T recommend that arrangement for the track.

Quote Originally Posted by IT WASN'T ME! View Post
    A good compromise that I like on some bikes is to use a full on sport tire on the front because most bikes will use up two rears to every one front. The sport front will last at least as long as a ST rear. This arraignment gives you maximum traction on the front where you need it the most and you won't be changing tires every time you turn around. I recommend this for the track though.
    Not saying this is 100% wrong, but I wouldn't recommend it. Riding habits will be the same as usual once Drama2 makes the transition for the new bike. The riders riding will continue to improve as does with most.

However, the amount of power being applied to the ground if significantly changed from before, Drama2 will need good traction and technique for that rear tire.

+1 on all the track time suggestions, doesn't mean you have to race or even go at race pace, but to learn and break any bad habits/techniques. Much better than trying to do this up in the twisties. You will learn more at a half track day than a year up in the mountains.
    Last edited by Slo; Wed Oct 30th, 2013 at 12:10 PM.

I would not use DOT racing tires on the street because their rubber is not formulated for many heat cycles and they are designed to work at temperatures that are not achievable on public roads. Because of this they could be unsafe. If you do enough track riding to need racing tires, get a track bike.

I ran Q2's on both my street and track gixxers, they seemed to work well in both applications. Haven't tried the Q3's on track but I put a new set on Ann's triple and I have Diablo Rosso's on my tripleR. The Q3's IMO have a more gradual tip in, the Rossos otoh tip in more aggressively (due to their peaked profile).

Ultimately, tire choice would depend if Kerry is thinking of doing a track day with the 750 or not. PR3's, etc might be great for street/canyon and mileage, but a more sporting tire might fit the bill for canyon/track duty.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Even if she does do a trackday I can't see any positives for her if she runs a sport tire. Sure the sport tire has grip, but so do modern ST tires. Until she reaches a level of riding where she needs the added grip and stability in corners a ST tire IMO would be the better choice.
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    Not saying this is 100% wrong, but I wouldn't recommend it. Riding habits will be the same as usual once Drama2 makes the transition for the new bike. The riders riding will continue to improve as does with most.

However, the amount of power being applied to the ground if significantly changed from before, Drama2 will need good traction and technique for that rear tire.

+1 on all the track time suggestions, doesn't mean you have to race or even go at race pace, but to learn and break any bad habits/techniques. Much better than trying to do this up in the twisties. You will learn more at a half track day than a year up in the mountains.
    I would agree if the ST tire lacked traction, they don't. The only way it would come into play is if things went very wrong like stuffing it into a corner too hot. For me, if that happens and something is going to slide I want it to be the rear, not the front and not both. You can save a drift most times, but if you tuck the front you're going down most times. The only reason I don't recommend that combo for the track is because I think that the ST rear will overheat and get real greasy.

Quote Originally Posted by kawasakirob View Post
    Even if she does do a trackday I can't see any positives for her if she runs a sport tire. Sure the sport tire has grip, but so do modern ST tires. Until she reaches a level of riding where she needs the added grip and stability in corners a ST tire IMO would be the better choice.
    Not disagreeing, modern ST tires have more grip than race tires did a decade ago, and the OP is not yet at the point where she'll max out the capability of good ST tires. Still, within the range of available options there are ones that lean towards the touring side of ST and others that lean towards the sport side of ST.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Pirelli Angel GT
    Michelin Pilot Road 3
    Dunlop Roadsmart 2

All these tires are dual compound and have had there lean angles increased to minimize the gap between Sport and Sport Touring tires. Along with the grip provided, these are good tires for increased mileage and will handle just fine for what she is looking to do on the track. The jack of all trades + 10.

From reading her posts, these would be the most exceptional tire for her I believe.
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

Looks beautiful...when you going to ride it down here?
    "Rob" aka Blue Thunder
    2007 Kawasaki ZX-14

Pirelli Angel GT
    Michelin Pilot Road 3
    Dunlop Roadsmart 2

All these tires are dual compound and have had there lean angles increased to minimize the gap between Sport and Sport Touring tires. Along with the grip provided, these are good tires for increased mileage and will handle just fine for what she is looking to do on the track. The jack of all trades + 10.

From reading her posts, these would be the most exceptional tire for her I believe.
    Agreed. Add to that list the Bridgestone BT-23 and they also have a new one coming out that's even better, but I don't know what it's called.

Chocolate Thunder

Heh Bro......glad to see you posting. Everyone this is my OLDER brother Rob who likes walks on the beach and spankings, he just moved here from Tucson. He is hoping to get bike nights re-invented around here. And dumbass could figure out a code name....but I still love you. Next spring Rob....to cold right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Griffin View Post
    Looks beautiful...when you going to ride it down here?

Kerry
    Suzuki Gladius 650
    GSXR 750

Chocolate Thunder

I think I am gonna check out the michelin Pilot Road 3, s and the Dunlap R2, didn't dunlap come out with a R3 tire.

Pirelli Angel GT
    Michelin Pilot Road 3
    Dunlop Roadsmart 2

Kerry
    Suzuki Gladius 650
    GSXR 750

Just going to interrupt this tire mosh with what I bought this morning
    2006 750 12k miles for $4800. Stole it from a dude who bought it at a dealership haha.

Last edited by Ph03niX; Wed Oct 30th, 2013 at 06:48 PM.
    06 GSXR 750