Thread: Out of State\In State License and CO Points

Out of State\In State License and CO Points

Long story short, I had to pay the trolls down at Teller county court today. It's pretty much extortion in that they drag you down there for BS, put you in a room with the DA, and then "negotiate" with the fact that you'd have to come back to the world's longest dead end shithole for trial if you really want to dispute the charge.

Given that I already wasted a morning and half a tank of gas going down there, I opted to just plea guilty and pay the $50 fine so I could be done with it, regardless of the fact that I have no doubt it would've been dismissed if I fought it. So part of that calculation is that the trooper was being a dipshit and I think wanted the 4 points to count so he wrote the ticket to my CO license, despite the fact that I handed him my valid VA license, as I told him I just moved and he assumed I would get a new CO license. Apparently my old CO license is still active, but should be invalid since I have a VA one and turned in my previous CO license to get it. With that being the case, I'm guessing those points won't count against my VA license, but my question is, I'm assuming since the cop wrote it to my CO license, if I went and turned in my VA license for a new CO license, it would come with those 4 points attached? At this point, I'm thinking it's probably safer for my insurance rates to keep my VA license. Thoughts?
    Last edited by big_sur; Mon Oct 28th, 2013 at 09:15 PM.

Re: Out of State\In State License and CO Points

who do you have insurance through, Points and tickets do not affect me unless i switch insurance or get enough to loose my license or go on a suspension.
    Ask your rep
    No tickets YET this year *Knock on wood*

07 Audi S4 DTM
    06 CBR 1000rr

Like he said, it probably won't matter either way, as your Insurance carrier probably won't randomly pull your driving record. Typically that's only pulled when you are signing up or significantly changing your policy.

I am not sure about the points, I think a lot of it would have to do with whether or not CO compacts with VA. Either way, with the likelihood of your insurance not changing, it probably won't matter which state's license you take. If we compact, you'll be down to 8, if not then you'll just get the full 12. Either way doesn't make a difference in my eyes.

Yeah, I don't think my insurance does pull it randomly, but I get bored of vehicles easily so it's rare that I don't buy something in any given year. Between bikes, cars, and wife cars, I think we've cycled through 8 vehicles in the past 3 years.

I think they are part of the compact, but seeing as how they can't even communicate enough to cancel my CO license 1.5yrs after I turned it in, I'm questioning whether they can figure out applying points or infractions to my VA license when the ticket was written to my invalid but still active CO license. I feel like if they think my CO license is still active and the ticket was written to that license, they're not even going to try to send it to VA.

I had another thought though which was if I do want to go back to a CO license, if I go make sure that my CO license is cancelled and inactive, with a cancellation date of last year, all before the court can apply the points, do you think the points would still apply if the license was invalid when the ticket was written?