Thread: LiIon batteries - how many ppl use them?

LiIon batteries - how many ppl use them?

So I was wondering how many people are using Li Ion replacement batteries in the motorcycles these days? If you are using them, let me know. If not, let me know that too. I understand the technical issues (weight, CCA, etc) and the budgetary concerns. I am looking for thoughts and feelings here, although feel free to argue gel vs PbAcid vs LiIon all you want too. Just tell me what you are using and why. Please.
    1989 Honda Hawk,2005 crf250x supermoto

It is better to communicate good information than to offer misinformation in the name of good communication. Alastair B Fraser

Re: LiIon batteries - how many ppl use them?

I run a Shorai on my race bike now and its been great so far! I got mine for $110 shipped compared to $90 for the gel or $70 for the cheapest std battery I could find online. My Shorai is amazingly light and the bike starts up perfectly every time even when its been sitting months.
    MRA Expert #880 - 2015 AmateurGTO Champion, 2013 NoviceGTU Champion
    2006 YZF-R6 Race "No name" - 2005 YZF-R6 Street "Aurora"
    2015 Sponsors: Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, STM Suspension, Silkolene Lubricants, EBC Brakes, Pit-Bull Products

Text: (72O) 432-7236

I have a Shorai in my Speed Triple. Bike starts perfectly every time even when it sits for a few weeks. The weight difference is substantial. The best analogy I can come up with is it is like a handful of goose down vs a whole goose in your hand. I was shocked how light it was when I took it out of the box.

Jason
    07 600RR
    07 Speed Triple -[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)] [/COLOR]GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)][/COLOR]

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

First- not Lithium Ion, but rather Lithium Iron (LiFe) is the chemestry for these batteries.

I've been using them in the race bikes for about 5 years now and they have been great. Finally had one (5 years old) swell from charging.

The good - great CCA, lower weight, no fluids.

The bad- cranking them to too low of a charge kills them dead. They cannot be recovered.

LiOn batteries are prone to fires from charging malfunction that LiFe batteries are much more forgiving of. Most can be charged off the standard MC charging system without modification or issue.

They are more expensive, but in my observation also more durable.

EarthX
    Shoari
    Alien Motion
    Ballistic
    MOTY designs

Are all popular brands

I've had an Antigravity battery on my DRZ a couple years now. Mostly for weight savings and have been happy with it so far.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Actually Scott it is a lithium ion battery, just with different cathode materials. Although I agree that LFP (lithium ferrophosphate or LiFePO4) is the choice for motor vehicles for the reasons you mention. Also, some pack makers include internal electronics that make them able to be charged cheaply using the mc charging system to extend pack life. If the top of your battery gets warm during charging while the bottom stays cool, your battery likely has internal electronics regulating cell balance.

I know I am getting all pedantic here, but what do you expect for 4:30 in the morning?

Any idea how much penetration these batteries have in racing? Is everyone using them, most, or just some?
    1989 Honda Hawk,2005 crf250x supermoto

It is better to communicate good information than to offer misinformation in the name of good communication. Alastair B Fraser

I had a MOTY in the ninja250 and a Shoari in the SV. I approve of them and that's all you need to know brainiac.

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

There are a bunch of them in the paddock right now.

They aren't legal in the production classes, but other than that there isn't anything preventing their use.

-s

grrr- I hate it when you're pedantic (and right)
    Last edited by rybo; Wed Nov 6th, 2013 at 08:34 AM.

I swapped from my factory battery to a LI one, after a couple race weekends, bike sat for 10 months. Even after sitting all that time, bike started up right away and has been starting perfectly since.

Drano swapped to a Shorai, and while over at his house he handed me the box, and having no idea what it was, said "uh thanks for the empty box?" Except it wasn't empty, it had the battery in it still. I could not believe how much less it weighed than the stock battery. Went to Shorai that day and ordered one for my bike. Do yourself a favor and order a trickle charger/tender with it, because like the others said if it gets too low it's dead, and bikes still use energy when they're off.

Heard Full spectrums are better I've yet to try them though. Plan to get one with the new race bike.

Quote Originally Posted by One-ops View Post
    Heard Full spectrums are better I've yet to try them though. Plan to get one with the new race bike.
    What's a "better" LiIon battery? Like more CCA for lb? I've got no reason to doubt my Shorai, it's worked flawlessly so far, and I can hardly imagine a battery being lighter. So much so that they even include aluminum bolts to use instead of the factory steel ones.

Cases are made better its a usa product bunch more real race teams use them and pretty sure sport rider did a test on them and the spectrums did as they said they would as the others performed less then advertised and stated things to sell batteries it seems as if. Glad your not having problems with yours. Before I learned of full spectrum I was looking into getting a one of these and had read that alot of people had problems with the shoria and less with the ballistic. I had a starter/charging system delete idea for a sb build and the weight savings is real nice.
    Last edited by One-ops; Wed Nov 6th, 2013 at 03:48 PM.

I have an earthX LiFE PO4(according to their site)…pretty happy with it…my first one STB and its replacement was 2nd day'd at no cost to me…they asked that I send the disfunctional one back for reverse engineering…was a little pricey ($220) but they've backed up their 2year full replacement warranty and EarthX is a Colorado Company. Currently its out of the bike on a trickle splitting time with my project car battery(run-of-the-mill walmart 1000cca battery). I want to say it is spec'd to lose 2% of it's capacity every year - so no big deal to me...

I don't put Cold Cranking Amp as big of a priority as most, usually if its below ~50degrees I am not taking my bike out and for the most part the garage has been above that temp in a case where I fire up the bike to get the fluids moving. Obviously much lighter than a traditional but I'd trade a few extra pounds for a guaranteed start and I don't track my bike so it's not an issue to me if it were heavier...