Thread: Rossi and Burgess split!!

Rossi and Burgess split!!

http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/197...y_burgess.html

can't imagine who he'll replace the legendary crew chief with... Rossi must be really wanting to step his game up in 2014 to make such a drastic change.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Re: Rossi and Burgess split!!

Just saw that on the main site as well.... crazy for sure. Given that he's had races that have been rather good but for some odd reason his bike hasn't been all that optimum so doesn't surprise me.... He still has it in him to win another championship unlike the haters out there that are talking all kinds of mad shit about him telling him that he's done. The Doc still has a few good years left in him.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Yeah we'll see what's up. I truly hope it works out and would love to see him back up front. But it just hasn't seemed realistic as of late, well ever since super sik. Hope I'm wrong and he can take a championship. Love Rossi and we need more battles up front forsure!! Next year needs to get here now! Any changes to bikes for next year?

That sucks... for me, for that type of history and then just letting him go, not good in my books. I'm sure there is much more to the story but this is a disappointment since I have been a Rossi fan and credit much of his past success to Burgess.....

For as long as Burgess has been in the game I could see the time for him to split. I recall an interview He gave with MSN Sport and there were some things he was wanting to deal and take care of back home in Australia. His wife is ill with cancer and I'm sure that's been on his mind. What a run he's had though huh? How many championships does he have? 12?14?
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

Really though, when you guys look at his season. Rossi hasn't exactly had a bad season, considering he just came off two bullshit years on a bike that basically sucked. The fact that he took 6 podiums and a Win are actually pretty substantial for a comeback year. Sure it's not coming back and winning a championship but you've got to look at it that the two years on the Ducati surely messed with his head. He's having to sort out all that baggage. I think his win in Assen really helped to shake most of what he's been holding onto for sometime now.

Even though he hasn't been on the podium more and racked up another win or two. He's still advancing along and doing well. First half of the year saw him qualifying really crappy. Then midway through and actually as of the last three or four races, he's been doing well in qualifying. In fact he's been holding onto provisional pole in many cases only to have either Marquez or Lorenzo come out and do one of their typical one off hot laps in order to secure pole position.

But when you compare lap times. Rossi will lap either right at or a little off of what Lorenzo laps at. In many cases Rossi will set his fastest laps during the dying laps of a race, which means he still knows how to manage worn tires and still fight for positions on them.

Yeah I agree, I'd rather see him fighting for positions with the top three and not the satellite riders but it is what it is. I, for one believe Yamaha have made sure Rossi didn't infringe upon Lorenzo's turf too much this season. They wanted Lorenzo to have a clear mind and focus solely on defending his championship. Hopefully that all goes out the window for 2014 and they let Rossi develop the bike to his liking and Lorenzo develop it as well. All the Yamaha riders have commented on the M1's lack of deep braking capabilities with the exception being Lorenzo, whose never been much of a late braking type rider. Rossi on the other hand, that's his trade craft(brakes).

Pesonally the Burgess decision has probably come from Yamaha more than Rossi. The article from Crashnet alludes to Yamaha coming to him earlier in the season about Burgess departure but with Rossi making the final decision now. So it's been in the works. Rossi probably fought it as much as possible but when the top brass speak, I'm sure their word is what rules. I think he'd have way more leverage if he had just won a title in the last year or two. He'd have more to bargain with, but not being crowned champion since 2009 makes it harder for him.

Burgess may have also lost touch with the changing technology in MotoGP and the bikes that are currently being used. He's and old school guy, and I'm sure Yamaha is moving away from that. Only makes sense, as much as I'd like to see less and less electronics on these bikes. We all know it ain't happening. So the status quo has changed and crew chiefs along with it. You can tell Rossi has some frustration when he manages to go out and knock out a front row start, only to drift back during the race. I'm sure that's been eating at him a bit.

I also feel that(and as much as I hate to say this) Rossi is intimidated by Lorenzo. Not by the fact that Lorenzo is a racer and maybe faster. But I believe Rossi is intimidated by the fact that if he goes out there and smokes Lorenzo, he may feel the wrath of Yamaha and Lin Jarvis. Look at the difference how Rossi raced when Lorenzo was hurt. That's when he took his only win for the year at Assen. It looked like the Rossi of old was out there on track and handing everyone their ass. He scorched past Marquez and Pedrosa, then cleared off to win with a comfortable lead. He then took successive third places in the next few races. You could tell with Lorenzo out of the picture, Rossi was able to battle like he wanted. He knew he wouldn't be stepping on Lorenzo's toes or Yamaha's because he was flying the flag for them while Lorenzo healed.

Then Jorge gets better and it's back to second fiddle for Rossi.

If it were me and I were Rossi. I'd work my ass off over the Winter in testing and development. Work to find a crew chief that I trusted and could help me get the best possible setup out of the bike. Go into 2014 with a no holds barred mentality, start winning as much as possible regardless if it hurts Lorenzo's feelings or not, fight for the Championship and if by chance win the Championship. I'd turn right around and tell Yamaha to cram it in their ass and then retire.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

I agree with that last few paragraphs there, you could definitely see the difference and even in the last race at Japan, with the kind of pace he was carrying which was phenomenal (with the exception of the brake problems). His launch towards the front was sweet and was with the front runners rather well. I think Rossi is in for a great fight in the 14' season and I can't wait to see it.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Well I was going to post this as well. A lot of people are saying Rossi is refusing to change with the modern times and style of riding. People are saying he's not willing to push the bike and keep pace with Marquez, Lorenzo and Pedrosa. Some say he's lost his touch and is too old.

Hmmm how many other 34 year old's can manage to do this:

Seems to me Rossi is pushing just as hard as Marquez, dragging the elbow now.

thought this one was cool too. Sort of a "Changing of the Guard" or "Next Gen" type vibe:

one star is fading, while the other is on the rise...
    Last edited by The Black Knight; Thu Nov 7th, 2013 at 04:18 PM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    I agree with that last few paragraphs there, you could definitely see the difference and even in the last race at Japan, with the kind of pace he was carrying which was phenomenal (with the exception of the brake problems). His launch towards the front was sweet and was with the front runners rather well. I think Rossi is in for a great fight in the 14' season and I can't wait to see it.
    Oh I agree completely. If Rossi is allowed to be "Unleashed!!" in 2014. We may be on the verge of seeing a 10th Championship.

FWIW, Rossi is still a beast, it's just the others have caught up. Remember though, it's been Rossi all along that everyone has been trying to catch. It's up to him to either raise his own bar or relinquish his love of riding. I'm thinking if he gets the bike he wants and desires, it will be the former and not the latter.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

Senior Member Moderator

I'm not trying to hate on Rossi at all. I want nothing more than to see him competitive again, but as far as his podiums go this season, I can't think of a single one that occurred while Marquez, Lorenzo, and Pedrosa were all on the track. He seems to qualify well, and can hang with the top three for quite some time, but he's markedly slower, and it really shows by the end of the race, especially when the majority of his battles have been between Crutchlow and Bautista. It could be credited to his bike, but even he, like Lorenzo, has said on many occasions that he simply can't keep the pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Drano View Post
    I'm not trying to hate on Rossi at all. I want nothing more than to see him competitive again, but as far as his podiums go this season, I can't think of a single one that occurred while Marquez, Lorenzo, and Pedrosa were all on the track. He seems to qualify well, and can hang with the top three for quite some time, but he's markedly slower, and it really shows by the end of the race, especially when the majority of his battles have been between Crutchlow and Bautista. It could be credited to his bike, but even he, like Lorenzo, has said on many occasions that he simply can't keep the pace.
    Really???

Qatar - 2nd place, All riders were healthy and Rossi trounced both Honda's. Managed a comeback from 7th due to an early mistake.
    Assen - 1st, beat both a healthy Marquez and Pedrosa, with an injured Lorenzo.
    Sachsenring - 3rd place, race where only Marquez and he were healthy, both Dani and Jorge sat this one out
    Laguna Seca - 3rd place, again Dani and Jorge rode injured and were slow. He was beat by Bradl but remember, Bradl got pole position in this race and was very fast. Laguna is not one of Rossi's better tracks.
    Aragon - 3rd place, all riders were healthy or on the up and up. He inherited 3rd due to Dani falling.
    Phillip Island - 3rd place, due to Marquez being disqualified. Again all riders healthy..

So lets see, his podiums with the exception of Sachsenring all came while the other riders were on track. Now I'm sure you'll say, "well Lorenzo and Pedrosa were injured in some of those races." To which I would say. Tough shit, racing does not suffer mistakes. Rossi has managed to stay on his bike and stay healthy all year long(with the exception of Bautista's stupid move in Mugello, which I'm sure Rossi would have been fighting for a podium there. He had excellent form at Mugello and was very fast). Just because Jorge and Dani were hurt means nothing. Racing is about fair and square, regardless if you're hurt or healthy. It's the job of the rider to stay on his bike and not get hurt. For Marquez that's meant being very very fortunate, considering he's managed to fall a total of 15 times now during this season. All escaping a major injury. Lorenzo and Pedrosa have not. They both broke their collar bones and paid the penalty for it.
    Would you then say, well it's only because Jorge and Dani were gone that Rossi was then "gifted" those podiums?? Because I can turn right around and say, well that's the only reason Jorge Lorenzo won the title back in 2010, was because of Rossi breaking his leg at Mugello and effectively removing himself from the championship fight.

So just because a rider gets hurt means nothing. All it means, is that the other riders will smell the blood in the water and capitalize on it. I know I would. I'd take full advantage of a rival being sidelined due to an injury. Especially if it meant putting a serious points spread on them. I mean why not? Why not use their injury against them and put them many points down. Lorenzo did it to Rossi in 2010.

Let's also not forget the Le Mans race in the rain, where Rossi had actually passed Lorenzo, only to fall due to pressure from Hayden. He should have let Hayden through and fought back when he was a little more settled in on his bike in the rain. You don't think Lorenzo capitalized on Rossi's fall to pick up some points??

Also, remember 2006?? Nicky Hayden capitalized or was "gifted"(as some might say) the Championship due to Rossi falling at Valencia. Had he not fallen, Hayden would have never seen the championship, and Rossi would have racked up another championship in a row.

P.S.
    for further info on how riders capitalize on another who is injured check this out:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Gr..._racing_season
    Look at the races where Rossi didn't race. He was injured in Mugello, logging in a DNS but sat out the next three. What did Lorenzo do over the course of those four races where Rossi was out?? Won three of them....

Lorenzo dropped 95 points on Rossi due to his injury. Tell me that's not smelling blood and going for the throat?

I rest my case...
    Last edited by The Black Knight; Thu Nov 7th, 2013 at 06:27 PM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

Senior Member Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Really???

Qatar - 2nd place, All riders were healthy and Rossi trounced both Honda's. Managed a comeback from 7th due to an early mistake.
    Assen - 1st, beat both a healthy Marquez and Pedrosa, with an injured Lorenzo.
    Sachsenring - 3rd place, race where only Marquez and he were healthy, both Dani and Jorge sat this one out
    Laguna Seca - 3rd place, again Dani and Jorge rode injured and were slow. He was beat by Bradl but remember, Bradl got pole position in this race and was very fast. Laguna is not one of Rossi's better tracks.
    Aragon - 3rd place, all riders were healthy or on the up and up. He inherited 3rd due to Dani falling.
    Phillip Island - 3rd place, due to Marquez being disqualified. Again all riders healthy..
    Like I said, I'm not hating on Rossi at all, but you reiterated my case. Rossi has taken the majority of his podiums due to technicalities.

1. Qatar: 2nd, +5.990
    2. CotA: 6th, +16.615
    3. Jerez: 4th, +8.914
    4. Le Mans: 12th, +1'16.368
    5. Mugello: DNF
    6. Catalunya: 4th, +5.874
    7. Assen: 1st
    8. Sachsenring: 3rd, +9.620 Lorenzo/Pedrosa Out
    9. Laguna Seca: 3rd, +4.498
    10. Indy: 4th, +19.895
    11. Brno: 4th, +10.101
    12. Silverstone: 4th, +13.233
    13. Misano: 4th, +15.062
    14. Aragon: 3rd, +12.297 (Pedrosa DNF)
    15. Sepang: 4th, +10.351
    16. Phillip Island: 3rd +12.344 (Marquez Black Flagged)
    17. Motegi: 6th, +24.637

On average, Rossi is 15.362 seconds off pace. The math doesn't lie, and it says a lot more about Rossi's performance this season than wishful thinking. I agree that a rider goes out and gives his best performance, and any rider can be faster than another on a given day. But Rossi has not consistently made podiums without divine intervention this year. He's had every opportunity to ride "unleashed" but I'm afraid that dog ain't hunting, he's picking up the scraps.

Now before you rage out because I'm speaking ill of the Doctor, as I said earlier, I want him to compete, and win races. I think most people do, but he's not doing it, and people need to face facts instead of making excuses. Somethings not right, and if it's not the machine he's on, it's him.

^ I've been down that road before.....
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

LINK

Ryder Notes: Formal Statements
    by julian ryder, on the ground in spain
    Saturday, November 09, 2013

Even as we head to the most important qualifying session of the year for the closest championship since 2006, the major topic of discussion in the paddock is still the schism between Valentino Rossi and Jerry Burgess. A press conference featuring the pair was called by Yamaha yesterday, on Burgess's instigation. The rest of the manly Aussie pit crew slipped in the back door and stood stony-faced at the side of the room and exited just as stealthily at the end of the formal proceedings.

Both men made formal statements and answered a few questions before there was a long, dignified round of applause for Jerry from the biggest audience I've seen at a press conference for a while.

Valentino confirmed he'd had a change in mind for a while but a leak forced him to tell people earlier than he wanted to. Jerry confirmed it had come as a shock to him, but was very keen to say that if that was what was needed to get Vale back to the front then it was a good thing. JB said he reads lots of sporting biographies and he'd noted that a lot of sportsmen change their caddie or coach in the final years of their career to try and squeeze another couple of years out. Asked afterwards if any of those veterans had benefited from the change he replied succinctly "None."

After name checking Wayne Rainey and Erv Kanemoto as his toughest opposition, Jerry reckoned that his next appearance at a GP will be Indianapolis next year so he can see a few American friends.

It felt like the end of an era. For more than one reason.

ENDS

And.....

LINK

Monday, 11 November 2013
    Yamaha Factory Racing can confirm that Silvano Galbusera will join the team from today in the position of Crew Chief for rider Valentino Rossi for the 2014 MotoGP™ season.

The appointment follows the announcement that Jeremy Burgess would no longer continue with team following the Valencia Grand Prix weekend.

Silvano began his career in motorcycle racing in 1979 with Gilera, spending 14 years working on both road racing in the 250 World Championship with riders such as Alessandro Gramigni and Paolo Casoli and also worked off road on African Rallies such as the Paris-Dakar with Michele Rinaldi. He then moved to Cagiva in 1994 and worked in the 500 World Championship with John Kocinski.

The following year saw Silvano arrive in the Yamaha family where he remained until 2011. During his time there he worked as both a Crew Chief and Technical Director in World Superbike and World Supersport, guiding riders including Troy Corser, Noriyuki Haga, Cal Crutchlow and Ben Spies to multiple race wins and of course the 2009 World Superbike Championship title. For 2012 and 2013 Silvano worked with Italian Marco Melandri in BMW’s World Superbike team.

Massimo Meregalli - Team Director
    "It’s nice to welcome Silvano back to the Yamaha family. Having worked with him personally for ten years I have the utmost respect for his skill and technical expertise. For sure he will need some time to adjust to MotoGP™ but I have no doubt that he has the capability to successfully lead Valentino’s crew into and through the 2014 season. It has been a pleasure to work with Jeremy over this last season. On behalf of Yamaha I would like to say we are indebted to him for the huge number of successes and invaluable knowledge he has contributed to Yamaha."

Silvano Galbusera - Valentino Rossi's Crew Chief
    "I’d like to thank Yamaha and Valentino for this great opportunity to work close to such a multi titled, high level champion. I’m happy to be back in the Yamaha family and to have an opportunity in such a successful team that is always at the top."