Thread: K&N Highflow Airfilter

K&N Highflow Airfilter

Just dropped about $50 on a K&N Highflow Airfilter. I noticed I was having some loss of power issues at altitude this past weekend, and thought if I gave my bike a little more breathing ability, it would help a little bit. Anyone else run with a K&N? Plan on installing it this afternoon. Will let everyone know if it was worth the $$.
    2007 GSXR 1000

Yes, worth it. I noticed a diff before I got to the end of the block.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

I didn't feel a whole lot when I put mine on. The bike felt a bit "different", but hard to say if it was any better or quicker.

I have actually read that on many bikes they will actually cause a HP loss.
    Jason
    Bikeless for now...

with the technology and the way filters are made now a K&N isn't gong to be a huge HP increase probably at he most 1 HP. Only reason I bought one was for the lifetime warranty.
    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail, a best friend will be in the cell with you saying "that was fun".

Well mate, any difference???

the K&N is supposed to flow 3x better than stock, the BMC filter is supposed to flow 5x better

Making the world a safer place, through Psychokinesis
    This moment brought to you in part by WWW.BOXHEAD.US

I heard something about this recently, but I may have it backwards (I'm hoping somebody that knows will step in and confirm or correct me).

For carburated bikes, use K&N.

For fuel-injected bikes, use BMC.

BMC has too much airflow for carborated bikes, but the FI can adjust for it. At least that's what I think was said.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper

the K&N is supposed to flow 3x better than stock, the BMC filter is supposed to flow 5x better
    Don't know yet. When I started rippin' apart my bike, I noticed my rear tyre (that British for what you yanks refer to as a "tire" )was flat for no apparent reason. Sure, it has over 5,000 miles on it, and I can see the steel belts in one spot, but what the bloody hell is going on? Needless to say I had to stop and have some tea and contemplate my options. I have been tyre shopping ever since. So since I can't ride my bike anyway, I put off the air filter swap until my tyre comes in.
    2007 GSXR 1000

Quote Originally Posted by Bob

Don't know yet. When I started rippin' apart my bike, I noticed my rear tyre (that British for what you yanks refer to as a "tire" )was flat for no apparent reason. Sure, it has over 5,000 miles on it, and I can see the steel belts in one spot, but what the bloody hell is going on? Needless to say I had to stop and have some tea and contemplate my options. I have been tyre shopping ever since. So since I can't ride my bike anyway, I put off the air filter swap until my tyre comes in.
    Blootie well,, than mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman
    I heard something about this recently, but I may have it backwards (I'm hoping somebody that knows will step in and confirm or correct me).

BMC has too much airflow for carborated bikes, but the FI can adjust for it. At least that's what I think was said.
    That makes sence, because it's a nightmare dialing in a carbed R6 w/ a BMC. but why would they sell them for carburated models?

That makes sence, because it's a nightmare dialing in a carbed R6 w/ a BMC. but why would they sell them for carburated models?
    Because people buy them. Because most people assume more is better, when it very well be that more is too much.
    Jason
    Bikeless for now...

The consensus I have seen on the R6 boards is that the aftermarket filters are WORSE than the stock filters. At least on this bike.

I put one on my 4-Runner, and it worked out great.

Probably just depends on the particular application.

Not True. BMC filters require you to have to rejet your bike so you cant just "drop it in" like a K&N filter. That makes people think BMCs dont work when they just need to rejet. K&Ns are great when your stock filter is dirty and you need a new one. If you want a performance gain gat a BMC.

FI systems do self adjust to reach the "optimum" air/fuel ratio. The range they can adjust is small. When you add performance parts you can exceed the range the system can adjust trying to get the "optimum" ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyR6
    The consensus I have seen on the R6 boards is that the aftermarket filters are WORSE than the stock filters. At least on this bike.
    I have heard the same thing. It only seems to be with the R6. The reason is the stock filter has more surface area than the aftermarket filters.

I have not had the chance to test this theory, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyR6

I put one on my 4-Runner, and it worked out great.

Probably just depends on the particular application.
    Yep I use one in my 4runner as well, it works great; though I can show you some intake tricks that'll really make it go!

The other thing I have heard is that BMC's are great in Suzuki's while K&N's are not.

FWIW yes a K&N is "drop in power", especially at this altitude where your stock bike is still jetted for sea level. However if you rejet you're going to gain power no matter what.

~MR. PISSY PANTS~
    R . I . P. Gene, you will be missed!

01 Dakota (Yama-hauler)
    00 WR-400 (da da dirty dirty)
    06 GSXR 6 (street toy)
    06 KLX 110 (play toy)
    02 Kawi Quad (play toy #2) maybe for sale...anyone interested??

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

<--and yes i think this is a Texas flag Well, at least i THOUGHT it was, until peanut took it away...dam you peanut, DAMMMMM YOUUUU!!!!!

God bless you, Ripper!
    2007 GSXR 1000

There are a few bikes out there that don't respond well to aftermarket filters like the RC! On most bikes if you have an open exhaust a freeer breathing air filter will help.

I have the cone K/N on my Yamaha and without an airbox they sound awesome! Like I'm afraid for my family jewels when I open her up! you can reall hear her suck! ... this is good!

-al
    CSBA #410 CO chapter officer
    RC51 (the faster scratched up one)
    hozerking.blogspot.com

Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing.
    -Tyler Durden (Fight Club)

Hey Hozer you need any help puttin that batch back together, I gotta a shop up here!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hozerking
    Like I'm afraid for my family jewels when I open her up! you can reall hear her suck!
    Yeah I knew a chick like that once too...

Hey Hozer you need any help puttin that batch back together, I gotta a shop up here!!!
    I'm cool for now but the next time you have a get together give me a shout I'd like to see the place! Otherwise if I hit a snag I'm shouting! lol...

-al
    CSBA #410 CO chapter officer
    RC51 (the faster scratched up one)
    hozerking.blogspot.com

Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing.
    -Tyler Durden (Fight Club)

Will do!!!