http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2014/burgess+about+Rossi

True to his typically honest and open style Jeremy Burgess has given a candid interview to French media outlet GP-Inside, providing details of his split with Valentino Rossi.

The Italian rider parted ways with the Crew Chief after 14 years of working together, at the end of the 2013 season, prompting Burgess to state: “I knew that this moment could arrive but wasn’t expecting it. Many elite sports stars change trainer or coach when they are arriving towards the end of their careers. In Valentino’s case, he believes that he needs to make a big change which he thinks can take him back up to the level where wants to be. He knows it’s a gamble but wants to try it. From that point of view, I understand and respect his decision and hope it goes well.

“But I also believe that inside 'Valentino’s internal processor' the information is not arriving as fast as it used to. In Australia we refer to the ‘preservation gene’, which kicks in during your 30s and makes you feel more vulnerable. This is the thing now, Valentino is trying to reach beyond the limits of his capabilities.”

Burgess would know more than anyone. I honestly hope he's wrong and this is the motivation that Rossi does need. Wonder why the "preservation gene" kicks in for some riders and others it does not. Look at the Isle of Man guys, lots of them in their 30's and they are riding around with balls of steel. Look at Ghost Rider from Sweden. Guy is a total maniac, I've heard he's approaching 50!!

I'm thinking Rossi needs to hook up with some Isle of Man guys or take a few intense rides with Ghost Rider to get some of his mojo back. At 34 he should still have what it takes to get it done. Though, I'm sure 9 championships does that to a person. He's gotten somewhat complacent and happy in his achievements. He's not hungry for that first title anymore. Something to be said for someone whose willing to push the limit and ride the razor edge a little bit longer than anyone else in order to achieve that first championship title.