Thread: Burgess on Rossi's Future

Burgess on Rossi's Future

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2014/burgess+about+Rossi

True to his typically honest and open style Jeremy Burgess has given a candid interview to French media outlet GP-Inside, providing details of his split with Valentino Rossi.

The Italian rider parted ways with the Crew Chief after 14 years of working together, at the end of the 2013 season, prompting Burgess to state: “I knew that this moment could arrive but wasn’t expecting it. Many elite sports stars change trainer or coach when they are arriving towards the end of their careers. In Valentino’s case, he believes that he needs to make a big change which he thinks can take him back up to the level where wants to be. He knows it’s a gamble but wants to try it. From that point of view, I understand and respect his decision and hope it goes well.

“But I also believe that inside 'Valentino’s internal processor' the information is not arriving as fast as it used to. In Australia we refer to the ‘preservation gene’, which kicks in during your 30s and makes you feel more vulnerable. This is the thing now, Valentino is trying to reach beyond the limits of his capabilities.”

Burgess would know more than anyone. I honestly hope he's wrong and this is the motivation that Rossi does need. Wonder why the "preservation gene" kicks in for some riders and others it does not. Look at the Isle of Man guys, lots of them in their 30's and they are riding around with balls of steel. Look at Ghost Rider from Sweden. Guy is a total maniac, I've heard he's approaching 50!!

I'm thinking Rossi needs to hook up with some Isle of Man guys or take a few intense rides with Ghost Rider to get some of his mojo back. At 34 he should still have what it takes to get it done. Though, I'm sure 9 championships does that to a person. He's gotten somewhat complacent and happy in his achievements. He's not hungry for that first title anymore. Something to be said for someone whose willing to push the limit and ride the razor edge a little bit longer than anyone else in order to achieve that first championship title.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Re: Burgess on Rossi's Future

I think that was the worst move of Rossi's career. Not only did Rossi get rid of the most respected and decorated Crew Chief in the paddock, he did like a snake. The decision Completely blindsided Burgess. Sure, Rossi has 9 Championships, but who was his crew chief during those championships? Who was his right hand man? Who has worked and/or also won championships with Gardner, Rainey and Doohan? Burgess is the man, and for Rossi to swat him like a fly is crazy. Rossi's in denial of that 10th championship.
    Last edited by kawasakirob; Mon Nov 25th, 2013 at 05:02 PM.
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

Quote Originally Posted by kawasakirob View Post
    I think that was the worst move of Rossi's career. Not only did Rossi get rid of the most respected and decorated Crew Chief in the paddock, he did like a snake. The decision Completely blindsided Burgess. Sure, Rossi has 9 Championships, but who was his crew chief during those championships? Who was his right hand man? Who has worked and/or also won championships with Gardner, Rainey and Doohan? Burgess is the man, and for Rossi to swat him like a fly is crazy. Rossi's in denial of that 10th championship.
    I don't know if it was a bad move or not. Rossi did seem more up beat with his initial testing at Valencia with Galbrusa, even though Burgess was gone and it was emotional for him. I'm not so sure his decision was all that sleazy either. I think the articles/media have certainly put a spin too it that Rossi is to blame. But none of us will ever know the real answer as we weren't there for the meeting and decision. Did the tough choice blindside Burgess?? Maybe, maybe not. He says it did but he'd also made no bones of the fact that he wouldn't be returning after 2014, even if Rossi were to stay another two years.

I think the powers that be(Yamaha Corp) put some pressure on Rossi to make his decision and unfortunately it's always the messenger that gets shot. Rossi wanted to be the messenger as he felt he owed that to Burgess. I'm sure he could have had someone else do it, or even a Yamaha executive could have broke it to Burgess.

While I agree Burgess is a genius, you have to question whether or not his heart is in it. I think Rossi's heart is still in it but Jeremy was getting long in the tooth for the sport. He'd said many times he didn't like all of the worldly travel and wanted to spend more time with is wife. When you've got other things away from the racetrack taking up space in your mind, your focus shifts and you get less and less dedicated to the task at hand. Maybe Rossi was seeing that, maybe Team Yamaha were seeing that also. Maybe Burgess just wasn't coming to terms with the new style of MotoGP bike and it's setup, who knows really. Lot of maybe's in there, as I said, we'll never know. Only the 2014 season will tell the tale.

You also have to remember, like anything else. Motorcycle racing(especially at the MotoGP leve) is a business. Business is business and whether they admit it or not. The racers are all too a degree business men. They are looking out for themselves ultimately, because their future rests on them and them alone.

It was business, not personal.
    Last edited by The Black Knight; Mon Nov 25th, 2013 at 05:30 PM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

+1 on this

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Did the tough choice blindside Burgess?? Maybe, maybe not. He says it did but he'd also made no bones of the fact that he wouldn't be returning after 2014, even if Rossi were to stay another two years.

I think the powers that be(Yamaha Corp) put some pressure on Rossi to make his decision and unfortunately it's always the messenger that gets shot. Rossi wanted to be the messenger as he felt he owed that to Burgess. I'm sure he could have had someone else do it, or even a Yamaha executive could have broke it to Burgess.
    I don't think Yamaha Corp could put too much pressure on Rossi on making his decision and treat him (Rossi) as a messenger. And for Rossi wanting to be the messenger, here is another tidbit:

Valentino confirmed he'd had a change in mind for a while but a leak forced him to tell people earlier than he wanted to. Jerry confirmed it had come as a shock to him, but was very keen to say that if that was what was needed to get Vale back to the front then it was a good thing. JB said he reads lots of sporting biographies and he'd noted that a lot of sportsmen change their caddie or coach in the final years of their career to try and squeeze another couple of years out. Asked afterwards if any of those veterans had benefited from the change he replied succinctly "None."

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post

While I agree Burgess is a genius, you have to question whether or not his heart is in it. I think Rossi's heart is still in it but Jeremy was getting long in the tooth for the sport. l.
    I personally don't think Burgess was getting any longer in the tooth than Rossi. While Rossi's heart may still be in the game, his mind and body certainly are not. Proof of this was the Valencia round where Lorenzo was drastically slowing the pace and Rossi STILL could not keep up.

Have to commend Burgess though for handling the situation as well as he did. Not blasting Rossi in the slightest.
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    +1 on this

I don't think Yamaha Corp could put too much pressure on Rossi on making his decision and treat him (Rossi) as a messenger. And for Rossi wanting to be the messenger, here is another tidbit:

Valentino confirmed he'd had a change in mind for a while but a leak forced him to tell people earlier than he wanted to. Jerry confirmed it had come as a shock to him, but was very keen to say that if that was what was needed to get Vale back to the front then it was a good thing. JB said he reads lots of sporting biographies and he'd noted that a lot of sportsmen change their caddie or coach in the final years of their career to try and squeeze another couple of years out. Asked afterwards if any of those veterans had benefited from the change he replied succinctly "None."
    Oh you know Burgess is butt hurt to a degree. Who wouldn't, I'm just not jumping to any conclusions as to what really went down as I wasn't there. Not being a fly on the wall, who knows what was said. Unless it comes out from either Rossi or Burgess, I don't think we'll ever know the true story or the motives behind Burgess dismissal.

I personally don't think Burgess was getting any longer in the tooth than Rossi. While Rossi's heart may still be in the game, his mind and body certainly are not. Proof of this was the Valencia round where Lorenzo was drastically slowing the pace and Rossi STILL could not keep up.

Have to commend Burgess though for handling the situation as well as he did. Not blasting Rossi in the slightest.
    After watching the Valencia race several times. I don't think Rossi really gave two s**t's about helping Lorenzo. Sure he said he would, but that's all PR nonsense. Rossi looked to have the attitude of just finish the race and let the front three fight it out. Pedrosa was just wanting to win, and Lorenzo all he could think about was Marquez. Rossi had no motivation to try and help Lorenzo. It's all speculation but if you look at the Moto3 race as indicative of Rossi's mindset, look at how the two riders that followed Vinales, Salom and Rins stayed back and didn't push to fight for positions that whole race, even though they were right on the front three's tail the whole race. That same mindset may have entered into Rossi's mind, just stay back and let Lorenzo and Marquez fight it out. Should Rossi have pushed to fight for position, he could have done something he regretted and made a mistake or cause one of the front two to go down, with the pressure as high as it was.

I think everyone in racing has learned from Pedrosa's 2006 mistake of taking Hayden out in the penultimate round of that season. No one wants to be "that guy" who jacked up a championship because he was out of it...
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

Yeah if I were Burgess, I would definitely not be happy. In fact I would actually feel betrayed, 14 year commitment.... wow. Best of luck to VR, been a fan for a while now, even during his non-championship winning years, but he now has lost a fan.

Now.... how funny would it be, if Burgess went with another rider (we all know this wont happen) and that rider won the 2014' season haha!!!! Or at least beat out VR.... Not sure how his Yamaha contract will work since he won't be with VR any longer.