Thread: Anyone in the Architecture Field?

Anyone in the Architecture Field?

Hey CSC,

I recently graduated from the University of Colorado with a B.EnvD, architecture specialization. I'm looking for entry level jobs in the field or related subjects (design, consulting, sustainability). If you or anyone you know might have leads to landing my first job please let me know. Colorado preferred, but out of state is fine too. Your help is much appreciated! Thanks.

George Mock
    mockg@colorado.edu
    303-551-5806
    George Mock | 2008 ZX6R | GoPro Hero | 3:551 5806

Re: Anyone in the Architecture Field?

Not in the Arch. field, but congrats on the achievement!
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

You might try contacting Coover Clark and Associates. They're a fantastic company that specializes in sustainable designs.

http://www.cooverclark.com/index.html

You might give OZ a look. I don't have any contacts there, but a friends brother used to work there. http://www.ozarch.com/main/do/Employment

I applied to Oz since they're one of the biggest in the area but I never heard back. Oz Arch's "intern" position listed requires "2-3 years professional architecture experience", which seems a little demanding for how low of a position that is. I've had one interview so far (yey) and will hear about that the first week of December, but am not feeling too confident about being selected. I'll look into Coover Clark, thanks Zanatos. And thanks Jeff!
    Last edited by Vellos; Tue Nov 26th, 2013 at 11:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vellos View Post
    If you or anyone you know might have leads to landing my first job please let me know.

George Mock
    mockg@colorado.edu
    303-551-5806
    I have a ton of work. Custom homes. If you're fast with AutoCAD and know every detail of how a house goes together, I can throw you lots of work.

The link below is the main floor of a 15,000 sq. ft.home. I removed the title block for privacy reasons, but if you can do this kind of work, you're in!!!

http://home.comcast.net/~tk4480/CSC/Main A2.1.pdf
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Generic's Avatar

I have contacts for Oz if you are interested, my friend was their IT manager for years and before that we were at Semple Brown (I did redline work part time)

Dean, some quick comments/questions:
    - I assume the owner of this manse is a respected narcotics importer?
    - I like the fact the garages don't face the front. I think you should excavate under them and put a shop with an elevator in it too.
    - Needs more secret passages and hide away rooms. Definitely.
    - Pull the prep sink away on a diagonal from the stove - opens up the stove front, makes it dual purpose with the unit behind it and makes it so I avoid smacking my hip against that granite every time I turn right. Remember, I can't turn left. (oops, gave away who the house is for there, I guess... )

You are welcome for the completely unsolicited comments. I am available anytime and I work real cheap. On a sincere note, it is kind of neat to see the kind of work you do after so many years.
    1989 Honda Hawk,2005 crf250x supermoto

It is better to communicate good information than to offer misinformation in the name of good communication. Alastair B Fraser

Needs more garage space.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    I have a ton of work. Custom homes. If you're fast with AutoCAD and know every detail of how a house goes together, I can throw you lots of work.

The link below is the main floor of a 15,000 sq. ft.home. I removed the title block for privacy reasons, but if you can do this kind of work, you're in!!!

http://home.comcast.net/~tk4480/CSC/Main A2.1.pdf
    I'm proficient with Revit, SketchUp, and Rhino - not as much with AutoCAD although it is similar to Revit and would be easy to learn. I know how to read and create floor plans and construction documents, but knowing codes off the top of my head was not a focus of my education - so I've never had to fully notate my floor plans before. I could definitely do this with some practice and a little guidance though.

Quote Originally Posted by Generic View Post
    I have contacts for Oz if you are interested, my friend was their IT manager for years and before that we were at Semple Brown (I did redline work part time)
    I would never turn down more connections, so I am interested. My email is mockg@colorado.edu if you want to send me some info there. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Filo View Post
    - I like the fact the garages don't face the front. I think you should excavate under them and put a shop with an elevator in it too.
    - Pull the prep sink away on a diagonal from the stove - opens up the stove front, makes it dual purpose with the unit behind it and makes it so I avoid smacking my hip against that granite every time I turn right. Remember, I can't turn left. (oops, gave away who the house is for there, I guess... )

You are welcome for the completely unsolicited comments. I am available anytime and I work real cheap. On a sincere note, it is kind of neat to see the kind of work you do after so many years.
    Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Needs more garage space.

op please start these changes asap, chop chop

Quote Originally Posted by Filo View Post

I hate that kitchen island. It's what the owner wanted, though. Ultimately, they hire a kitchen designer and everything get rearranged.

Every time I do one of these, I imagine how easily I could get all my vehicles in the garage.
    Kim & Dean

I'm proficient with Revit, SketchUp, and Rhino - not as much with AutoCAD although it is similar to Revit and would be easy to learn. I know how to read and create floor plans and construction documents, but knowing codes off the top of my head was not a focus of my education - so I've never had to fully notate my floor plans before. I could definitely do this with some practice and a little guidance though.
    I grantee you'll be able to do it with some time under your belt, but unfortunately, I need someone who can hit the ground running. Some of my deadlines are ridiculous and accuracy is paramount!!
    Kim & Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    I grantee you'll be able to do it with some time under your belt, but unfortunately, I need someone who can hit the ground running. Some of my deadlines are ridiculous and accuracy is paramount!!
    Do you just do construction drawings for buildings or are you a licensed architect and design the homes too? I feel like someone with an AutoCAD certification and a little bit of experience could preform the tasks you're looking to get done. While I do not have that background, I on the other hand have learned how to design, problem-solve, and approach architecture as a profession. I can do floor plans, high quality renderings, diagrams, structural analysis, sustainable system analysis/design, material selection, color analysis, CNC fabrication, web design, and many other tasks that firms who look to hire recent graduates want to see so they can stay on the cutting edge of the profession. CU doesn't even teach AutoCAD anymore because of how dated it is, as many firms are switching over to Revit for their more advanced BIM projects - while also being able to create construction documents easily from the same file.

I apologize for the rant. I'm stuck in the need experience to get experience bubble, and it has been quite frustrating. If any of the aforementioned skills appeal to you just let me know.

Do you just do construction drawings for buildings or are you a licensed architect and design the homes too?
    I do every single bit of the design and you only have to be licensed to do commercial. I do commercial work, too. But, it's always with a commercially licensed architect. I do all the hard work, he stamps it.

I feel like someone with an AutoCAD certification and a little bit of experience could preform the tasks you're looking to get done.
    I know a lot of people who have an AutoCAD cert. and they think they can do it until I give them the project. They'll wait a month and bring me back all the info and say, "well, maybe I don't know what I'm doing." Meanwhile, I thought they were working on it the whole time. Really sucks!!!

While I do not have that background, I on the other hand have learned how to design, problem-solve, and approach architecture as a profession. I can do floor plans, high quality renderings, diagrams, structural analysis, sustainable system analysis/design, material selection, color analysis, CNC fabrication, web design, and many other tasks that firms who look to hire recent graduates want to see so they can stay on the cutting edge of the profession. CU doesn't even teach AutoCAD anymore because of how dated it is, as many firms are switching over to Revit for their more advanced BIM projects - while also being able to create construction documents easily from the same file.
    People rag on AutoCAD all the time. AutoDesk is still making it because it is in demand. I use Revit and ArchiCAD for the clients who want full 3D renderings.

I apologize for the rant. I'm stuck in the need experience to get experience bubble, and it has been quite frustrating. If any of the aforementioned skills appeal to you just let me know.
    I remember after graduation, I would hit the Sunday paper (I graduated quite a while ago) and get a few resumes out. Then, I would go down to the job help department at school. They would give me a photo copy of the Sunday paper ad's. Lots of help they were! My first job paid $6/hr. When I moved to Denver and made $8/hr. I felt like I was rollin' in it.

There are a lot of companies that hire fresh out of school. Then it's up to you to show them what's up.... ....while dealing with all the office horse shit and back-stabbing!!
    Kim & Dean

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Good luck George. I know the depths [frightening] that your attention to details will go, so I'm confident you will be doing some solid work for something.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Thanks Barn!