Thread: PhotoRadar Question.

PhotoRadar Question.

I'll admit I am more of a 'lurker' here and on FB too due to living in omaha, but have a question in regards to photo radar tickets.
    ((I did search but wasn't able to find anything))

From listening to radio (KBPI) along with what I've found with news articles is it still true that if a photo radar ticket isn't handed to you physically within the first 90days it has to be dismissed?

If there is already a thread on this and I'm sure there is please let me know and or just paste it into this one I would greatly appreciate it.

Curious in regards to these for Nebraska doesn't have redlight cameras and or speed cameras.

Thanks in advance!

Re: PhotoRadar Question.

It can also be sent via certified mail. I got one a few years ago and got it in the mail, but never responded. I never heard from them again, and have not only gone through CBI background checks since then, but have also been pulled over a few times since then with no problems.

Usually they mail them out, but from what i have heard and read you do not have to pay it unless it is actually given to you by a law enforcement official. When an officer gives you a ticket in person you sign not to say you are guilty but just to acknowledge you are actually getting the ticket and that you will be pleading guilty or not. With the photo radar if you pay it you automatically plead guilty but if you do nothing with it then you never got it and it never happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim2.0 View Post
    Usually they mail them out, but from what i have heard and read you do not have to pay it unless it is actually given to you by a law enforcement official. When an officer gives you a ticket in person you sign not to say you are guilty but just to acknowledge you are actually getting the ticket and that you will be pleading guilty or not. With the photo radar if you pay it you automatically plead guilty but if you do nothing with it then you never got it and it never happened.
    Good info.

Not to thread jack but has anyone ever covered they're plate going through a toll on their bike? I know i25 is free for bikes but it takes like 6 bucks in tolls just to get to DIA via c/e-470. I've always wondered if they would do anything.
    06 GSXR 750

Quote Originally Posted by Grim2.0 View Post
    Thanks.. From listening to KBPI via web I used to listen to Molly/lawyer and wasn't sure if the advice of just ignore the mail was still kind of 'sound' advise. I was also in a rental so I had an added 'processing' fee towards the rental agency too and now I'm in a wait to see if CO DMV sends me a fun mail with a picture etc. in it.

Thanks for the personal experience too!

as said earlier in the thread, the ticket can be issued by certified mail and does not have to be handed to you by a LEO.

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
    as said earlier in the thread, the ticket can be issued by certified mail and does not have to be handed to you by a LEO.
    True, but you can usually ask to see who the letter is from before signing for it. Then refuse.
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

If you don't respond to the first ticket they will send a second. If you don't respond to the second you opt for "personal service" at an additional fee. With personal service a process server is hired to make contact with you. Certified mail is not a process server.

After the violation is approved by a police officer, the contractor sends a notice to the registered owner of the car. If the first notice is ignored, a second notice is sent. If the second notice is ignored, a summons and complaint is completed and a process server is employed to contact the owner and serve the summons and complaint.
    https://www.auroragov.org/LivingHere...dLightCameras/
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmetz View Post
    If you don't respond to the first ticket they will send a second. If you don't respond to the second you opt for "personal service" at an additional fee. With personal service a process server is hired to make contact with you. Certified mail is not a process server.

https://www.auroragov.org/LivingHere...dLightCameras/
    Thanks for the link. Still trying to research it but I think the only have 90 days to serve you the ticket from the time of the occurance. I THINK famous last words I know.

It seems crazy that you could just NOT pay. I could not imagine that to be a good thing. I got a red light camera ticket in 2011 and just paid the $75 for it. They have the front and rear plates and a picture of me driving. I figured there was no way to avoid it and just paid. I wouldnt want to risk the fine getting higher or something happening to your record. And hell $75 for a red light ticket and NO points is a hell of a lot better than one in California where I used to live I received one froma cop for $280 bck in 2003 plus points on my record, whereas my sister got one of those camera red light tickets in CA and it was something like $500!

As for the E470 question, I would think if your plate was covered you'd be fine from the fee, but just hope a cop doesnt see you riding with paper on the plate! When I bought my SV650 I had those paper temp tags and road the E470 4 times and never got any notices in the mail, but that was paper plates. When I recently bought my Ninja it had NO plates on it at all so I figured I was free to ride the E470 so I rode it home from Thornton on the E470 and have not heard anything since and that was about 2 months ago.
    2005 Suzuki SV650s Blue (SOLD), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636 Lime Green

Quote Originally Posted by UHATEIT View Post
    It seems crazy that you could just NOT pay. I could not imagine that to be a good thing. I got a red light camera ticket in 2011 and just paid the $75 for it. They have the front and rear plates and a picture of me driving. I figured there was no way to avoid it and just paid. I wouldnt want to risk the fine getting higher or something happening to your record. And hell $75 for a red light ticket and NO points is a hell of a lot better than one in California where I used to live I received one froma cop for $280 bck in 2003 plus points on my record, whereas my sister got one of those camera red light tickets in CA and it was something like $500!
    You are exactly who they want, blind obedience. Those aren't there to make things safer, they are a revenue generator and that's it. The majority of the sheep will pay it without knowing their rights and laws.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

I too was being a sheep. I know where most of the revenue generating devices are and I am Cautious when approaching . Gotta love this technology the the law is exploiting to beef up their coffee and donut stockpile..

Coming from CA where they are very strict I didn't want to risk it not paying the charge. In CA if you don't pay they'll double it, then triple it, then ad extra points or put out warrants, depending on the charge that is. I got a noise violation ticket for loud exhaust back in CA, but never got the copy of their charge/bill in the mail, so I figured eh fuck it the cop must not have turned it in so I let it be, never called to find out if there was a fine. Supposedly if you don't get the letter there is stilla court date on the ticket you have to reply by anyways. Since I never showed up to the court date and never called in they eventually got the charge up to around $850 after doubling and tripling it and threatened to suspend my license to I then had to go to court and plead for a lower fine which ended up being around $400 when the original charge was like $75 which I never knew because I had not received the charge letter.

Sorry for ranting, but from having that escalate and the charge go up so much I did not want to risk it and paid it. The system still is easier on people here than it is to the revenue strapped state of CA.

Quote Originally Posted by Ph03niX View Post
    Good info.

Not to thread jack but has anyone ever covered they're plate going through a toll on their bike? I know i25 is free for bikes but it takes like 6 bucks in tolls just to get to DIA via c/e-470. I've always wondered if they would do anything.
    Several times I have reached back and bent the plate, because it's just bolted on by the top 2 holes and hangs down under the brake lamp. I've ridden on E470 like that a multiple times. They can't see the plate so there is no way to identify you from a picture. IMO bikes should be free on E470 anyway. I don't do it often, but I suppose if I got pulled over I could try to play dumb.....
    2006 R1 "Raven"

Quote Originally Posted by The GECCO View Post
    True, but you can usually ask to see who the letter is from before signing for it. Then refuse.
    So then what would happen? They say it came from so and so, and where do you go from there?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    Several times I have reached back and bent the plate, because it's just bolted on by the top 2 holes and hangs down under the brake lamp. I've ridden on E470 like that a multiple times. They can't see the plate so there is no way to identify you from a picture. IMO bikes should be free on E470 anyway. I don't do it often, but I suppose if I got pulled over I could try to play dumb.....
    I can actually reach my boot back and cover my plate, haha xD.
    06 GSXR 750

All the cameras but one on the stretch I ride can't see my plate where it's mounted way up under the rear tail with my undermount setup. I've ridden 470 a dozen or so times and only gotten hit with 2 passes through the one toll booth.
    The Toys:
    05 Suzuki SV1000S
    07 KTM 450EXC
    00 Toyota MR2
    76 Toyota Landcruiser Rockcrawler
    13 Yeti SB66c
    Too many skis to list

My plate on my ninja is tucked in the undertail between the back of the seat and the undertail exhaust and is angled downwards. I also have a hugger back there. I wonder what angle they take the pictures at to know if they would even see it. Anyone have a scnee shot of what the E470 toll picture looks like so I would see if they would even get a shot of it?

Board Newbie

I would be very surprised if they didn't have multiple cameras along the way they used for grabbing plates that didn't get caught by the main camera. Additionally, the fines for obscuring your plates are way higher than toll, so consider that if you do it often. Might be easier to mount it in an "inconvenient" place.

I ducked a few photo tickets, and never got served, or even a certified letter. But that was a few years ago.

My lawyer confirmed it is not a legally binding infraction unless served (in many cases by an officer, but in others a process server is enough). But he cautioned me that they are becoming increasingly frustrated by the peeps like us who know the loophole, and are sending more letters and servers than in the past.