Thread: 4x4 ATV Recommends?

4x4 ATV Recommends?

Looking at picking up a 4x4 ATV and don't know a whole lot about them. I've done some research and thought I'd get some advice from people that have them or more experience with them. Looking for recommendations, things to watch for etc.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Re: 4x4 ATV Recommends?

I too am curious on this, looking to see what advice you get back. As much as I'd like a new one, I don't think that's in the cards. Anything in particular to look out for with used ATV's? Older (early 2k's) Yamaha or Honda rides generally pretty reliable, or are their issues?

(Sorry to threadjack, but I was going to post up one too so just gonna combine efforts here)
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

No worries Ralphie!

I had a 05 Yamaha raptor 660. That thing was a beast. Although fairly heavy. If you want speed, that is going to be one of the biggest motors you can get I believe. But if you want to build it to be fast, get a yfz450 as they are lighter and can be made to be faster.

However the carbureted can be a pain, maybe look into fuel injected ones!
    This was mine

06 GSXR 750

I dunno Josh's plans, I am not looking for an MX ball buster. Something to go have some fun on 4x4/OHV areas, take hunting, etc. Yamaha Grizzly / Honda Rancher/Foreman style (in new terms), just not $7-8k.

than sincere ignorance

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Quote Originally Posted by Ph03niX View Post
    I had a 05 Yamaha raptor 660. That thing was a beast. Although fairly heavy. If you want speed, that is going to be one of the biggest motors you can get I believe. But if you want to build it to be fast, get a yfz450 as they are lighter and can be made to be faster.

However the carbureted can be a pain, maybe look into fuel injected ones!
    This was mine
    Just missing the whole 4x4 part. Those things are sweet though!

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    I dunno Josh's plans, I am not looking for an MX ball buster. Something to go have some fun on 4x4/OHV areas, take hunting, etc. Yamaha Grizzly / Honda Rancher/Foreman style (in new terms), just not $7-8k.
    Likewise.

Hahahaha I overlooked that part, yeah they're 2x4, sorry xD.
    06 GSXR 750

Yamaha all the way! Kim and I had the Kodiak 450's, and at that time the 600 (or whatever it was) was the Grizzly. Now, they're all Grizzly's. We prefer the Yamahas because they have a front locker (on top of four wheel drive) that you control and no computer doing the thinking for you. I've ridden my friends Polaris' and I don't like the computer deciding when I need one wheel, two wheel or 4X! Plus, Yamaha RULES!!!!
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Haha nice. The Griz 550 looks real nice for sure. Been checking out some of the older Kodiak's (450's I think) too, they can be had for a reasonable price.

than sincere ignorance

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

I have some friends that use them for utility on their farm and all they buy are foreman Hondas - they say they can't break them.

No real world experience from me though

Gold Member

Truth is they all make great toys. Its why they are still in business. I would look at photos online and see what catches your eye. Then do a Google search on the good and the bad. Cost of maintenance. All that good stuff. Every brand and even every model has their ups and downs just like sport bikes. Just depends on what you want out of it.

That seems to be the general wisdom I'm finding as well. Most of them are pretty decent, from what I can glean it just comes down to what fits you and does what you need. The Hondas are legendarily bulletproof, but seem less on power for the size. Yamahas, good features for the money, very reliable, don't rate as high on ergos. Suzuki seem to be near Honda in reliability, but repeatedly get the worst feedback on ride quality and feedback. Polaris has hands down the best feedback on comfort/ergos/ride, seems to have a good feature list, good power, maybe a little less on reliability than the Hondas/Suzukis but seem to hold up if you don't pound the shit out of it.

And that brings me to the Polaris, which is looking really good right now. Load capacity of the Grizzly, nice to ride, and I like the features. I am even considering a new one, the Sportsman 570 EFI has a lot going for it at a "value" price. Used seem to be around $4k, so new isn't too far off what older ones are going for, and comes with all of the upgrades. Decisions, decisions...

than sincere ignorance

Gold Member

That seems to be the general wisdom I'm finding as well. Most of them are pretty decent, from what I can glean it just comes down to what fits you and does what you need. The Hondas are legendarily bulletproof, but seem less on power for the size. Yamahas, good features for the money, very reliable, don't rate as high on ergos. Suzuki seem to be near Honda in reliability, but repeatedly get the worst feedback on ride quality and feedback. Polaris has hands down the best feedback on comfort/ergos/ride, seems to have a good feature list, good power, maybe a little less on reliability than the Hondas/Suzukis but seem to hold up if you don't pound the shit out of it.

And that brings me to the Polaris, which is looking really good right now. Load capacity of the Grizzly, nice to ride, and I like the features. I am even considering a new one, the Sportsman 570 EFI has a lot going for it at a "value" price. Used seem to be around $4k, so new isn't too far off what older ones are going for, and comes with all of the upgrades. Decisions, decisions...
    Polaris makes a great off road toy. We have one. I rolled it once and enjoy beating on it from time to time chasing friends in the desert. Also great for work. Tons of low end power to move things if need be.

I brought all my shoes and all my glasses so I would have them

Can-Am Outlander 1000XMR is about the baddest they make right now. Got to ride one a month ago back in Iowa and the thing blew me away. I have a Kawi Prairie 650 and love it, I do quite a bit of riding and I love the solid rear axle compared to all the new indy suspension rides now, especially on off camber sections.
    ~Travis~
    It's okay...I'm a Doctor.
    Originally Posted by Keyser Soze
    Everybody on CSC knows everything
    2003 GSX-R600 - Former Love
    2003 Kawasaki ZX6R - Former Love
    1999 Suzuki TL1000R - Former Love
    2004 DRZ400E - New Dirty
    2002 KFX 650 - Quad

So how did this story end, did you find a quad you wanted?
    DW
    2001 GSX-R750 (Sold)
    2007 DRZ400E
    2009 Grizzly 700

As stories must when love is denied, with tears and a journey. Unfortunately I never did end up getting one.