Thread: Improvements to Pueblo Motorsports Park

Improvements to Pueblo Motorsports Park

Many of you know that Faasst Motorsports took over operations at Pueblo Motorsport Park last year. 2014 will be the first full year under Faasst's control and they plan to make it better than it's ever been before. They've already more changes and improvements than I can count in the last 8 months or so and will keep them coming going into the future. They have a 12 year contract with the city of Pueblo to operate PMP, so the track is just going to keep getting better!

I wanted to share some of the recent improvements with you since these are a benefit to anyone using the track, but especially bikes. They've focused a lot of attention on Turn 10 as well as the runoff areas around the track since those are critical to safety.

Turn 10 guardrail removal - This was a big one. There was a guardrail from the outside of T10 and extending about 150 feet to the southeast. In other words, if you happened to veer off to left as you approach T10, you would almost certainly have an unpleasant interaction with a steel guardrail. So last week, that was improved with the removal of all of the guardrail that extended to the southwest from the edge of the track. Now, if you happen to run off there at 70mph, you have a MUCH better chance of not hitting anything.

Turn 10 gravel trap - This is another big one. They dug out about 4 inches of the clay/gravel that was on the exit of T10 and replaced it with much softer pea gravel so that if you crash on the exit, you and your bike slow down quickly before you can hit anything. This is still a work in progress(stopped by the breakdown of the front-end loader). If you have mechanical expertise to help fix the John Deere 544 or a hook-up with someone who can provide more pea gravel, please let me know!

Turn 10 softer barriers - There are some barriers and a light pole that cannot be removed, so they wanted to make them as soft as possible in case the worst happens and you find yourself heading towards something immovable in a hurry. They put additional tires around any such barriers and also added 80 ft of tires to the exit of T10 so you don't have any exposed concrete there. They also pushed ALL of the old tire barriers back about 8 ft so you have less of a chance of even hitting those.

Turns 1-7 run off improvement - This was something I specifically wanted since I've spent a lot of time riding with SuperStreet and my MRA Novice friends and for some reason, we all seem to spend a significant amount of time in the dirt. I want to make sure that any accidental trips off-road end with nothing more hurt than your pride, so I spent this past Sunday running their box scaper over every bump, tumbleweed, and prairie dog hole I could find. I'm going to be down there again this weekend and when the track isn't hot, I plant to hit 8 and 9 as well as extend the work I already did on the other corners. I'm planning to do this regularly throughout the year, so that it is always ready and in good condition for you.

We also consulted with MRA reps this past weekend and have additional motorcycle-specific projects that we hope to accomplish this winter/spring/summer if possible.

We could use your help. I donate all of my time; Faasst doesn't pay me a dime(although I do get special perks like getting to run PMP backwards in the dark). I do it because I love racing and I want all of us to have a plethora of top-notch tracks all within driving distance. You can help, too. If you have time on a Wed-Sun(preferably on non-event weekends, go down to PMP and stop in at the office. Just let Judy or Donovan know that you want to help improve the track and would like to donate your time/equipment/expertise/pea gravel/elbow grease/whatever. This track is out of the hands of the politicians now and into the capable hands of some die-hard racers, so please help us make it successful!

Here are some pic's of T1's runoff after I got to it Sunday.

Last edited by jbnwc; Sat Jan 25th, 2014 at 01:53 PM.
    www.cocsba.com

'00 ZX12R
    '03 SV1000

Re: Improvements to Pueblo Motorsports Park

Looking good! Thanks for your efforts and involving MRA in the feedback.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Now if we can just get the Turn 10 exit surface to work with us.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

That's one of the "additional motorcycle-specific projects..."

Getting it done right appears to be a lot more involved than I would prefer, but it's on the list. That may require donated time/money/equipment that I can't personally help with(other than donating my time). I'll post PMP's needs up as they arise to see if anyone here can help.

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    Now if we can just get the Turn 10 exit surface to work with us.
    www.cocsba.com

'00 ZX12R
    '03 SV1000

BTW if funding ever comes available for using my photo on the sign, have Judy let me know.
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Generic's Avatar

That's great work, thank you.

Have you guys put this out to the cagers also? I know a lot of guys that run down there, surely some of them would be willing to help out also.

Quote Originally Posted by Generic View Post
    That's great work, thank you.

Have you guys put this out to the cagers also? I know a lot of guys that run down there, surely some of them would be willing to help out also.
    Yeah, the cagers that lap often have more money than we do, so they've been a big help. The Porsche club donated $10k for a lunch pavilion that is going up this spring! Judy was once a racer and also has Faasst Performance Driving school, so she has lots of connections in the auto-racing world.
    www.cocsba.com

'00 ZX12R
    '03 SV1000

This is awesome news.....

PMP is a great track, except for T10. There may be many a reason most intentionally miss that MRA round. However, that's usually the reason.

It's really great to hear of the improvements you've helped make!!! The shade will be most welcome when it's 114F again. Thanks Porsche club!! 😄

I've been at it again! I spent the weekend moving more dirt for y'all. The runoff around the entire track is complete and perfect. I even did the inside in some places since the cars somehow have a tendency to spin to the inside on occasion. I also fixed all the ruts that the cars tend to make by running off track in places. The runoff in T5 and T9 is much smoother now. I also did my best to make the runoff on the outide of 7 and 8(where the entrance and return roads cross) as smooth of a transition as possible so no one launches over those roads when they go off-roading. It's looking pretty darn good now. I was amazed no one was out there lapping, especially on Saturday when the wind was dead. You really need to get out there and check it out! I'll try to get down there on occasion this spring and summer to make sure it stays in this condition!
    www.cocsba.com

'00 ZX12R
    '03 SV1000

I'm so excited to go hit this track again. Thanks for all your hard work!
    If I'm ever down in that part of the state or have a free weekend I'll gladly come down and put in some elbow grease
    Nicole
    Street: 08 Suzuki SV650S
    08 Kawi Ninja 500 *SOLD*
    Track: 03 Yamaha R6

MRA corner worker

Anything more on the t10 area. The cold/dirty vht seems to be the issue yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    BTW if funding ever comes available for using my photo on the sign, have Judy let me know.
    lmao your pic was used for the sign and you want money!!! Now thats funny. You like a pro racer or something yeah lmao!! Ahh shit thanks for the laugh

I agree. Doesn't really help our cause when so many people donate so much to keeping our sport and that track going, but you're wanting to get paid for a picture.

Fantastic work guys.
    All of that was much needed and a major upgrade to safety.

The issues with turn 10 have always been a flaw with the original track design. They had no way of knowing how motorcycles would have evolved to do the things they do today. Then combine the majority of racing going on at that track is drag racing and I still think race track designers of today would have had a hard time coming up with a layout that would work for all types of racing.

We will defiantly try to be down more often this season.
    Last edited by Snowman; Sat Jan 25th, 2014 at 04:42 PM.

MRA Racer No.427

Quote Originally Posted by One-ops View Post
    lmao your pic was used for the sign and you want money!!! Now thats funny. You like a pro racer or something yeah lmao!! Ahh shit thanks for the laugh
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I agree. Doesn't really help our cause when so many people donate so much to keeping our sport and that track going, but you're wanting to get paid for a picture.
    Are you two fucking serious???
    MRA Expert #880 - 2015 AmateurGTO Champion, 2013 NoviceGTU Champion
    2006 YZF-R6 Race "No name" - 2005 YZF-R6 Street "Aurora"
    2015 Sponsors: Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, STM Suspension, Silkolene Lubricants, EBC Brakes, Pit-Bull Products

Text: (72O) 432-7236

oh no your on the sign to r what!?

I'll sell you pictures of my bike, but no, don't you dare use a picture for free.

Actually, yes, I am serious. I don't ride so people can take pictures so I can sell them.

But, I have to say. I couldn't care less about track safety. As long as there is a pretty picture on the sign I'm happy. Sell the tractors, buy more pictures.
    Last edited by Aaron; Sat Jan 25th, 2014 at 06:50 PM.

Professional photographer has no right to sell his pics?

And I believe there may have even been some sarcasm there.

Those that know me personally, know I donate my photos to the MRA for their videos, because they're a volunteer organization. I also put in a lot of time for CSC coaching noobs. But use my work on advertising a business, aka generating revenue, and I'm supposed to give it away for free? There's goodwill, and then there's business.

Yes Bueller, there was a bit of sarcasm there. :-/

To be clear, not me personally IN the photo, one of my race photos that I have the copyright to.
    Last edited by asp_125; Sat Jan 25th, 2014 at 09:23 PM.
    my Facebook, SpeedShots

Show us a low-res branded image, let's see how good it is.