View Poll Results: Should the CSC still participate in the Denver St. Patrick's Day Parade?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 53.85%
  • No

12 46.15%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: St. Patrick's Day Parade Changes! Poll Closed - UPDATE!

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar

Thumbs up St. Patrick's Day Parade Changes! Poll Closed - UPDATE!

The Denver St. Patrick's Day Parade has changed the rules for entries this year, limiting each entry to 10 vehicles. What does this mean for us? Well, historically, we've been limited to 30 motorcycles... most of the participants would meet for breakfast, and the remaining participants would join the group at the restaurant or pre-staging area. From that point on, we essentially remained together as a group: riding to the staging area; waiting for our turn to enter the parade; and riding the parade route... basically, we all pretty much shared the same experience.

We can still have 30 motorcycles, but we would be split into 3 groups of 10. We would not be staged together, nor would we ride the parade route, or finish the parade, at the same time.

Splitting into 3 groups also increases our overall parade entry fee by $100, which will be split equally by the participants, in addition to any other costs not covered by sponsorship.

Please vote and have your say in whether or not the Colorado Sportbike Club still participates in the Denver St. Patrick's Day Parade.

Edit: I have closed the poll early. Please see my update in post #37.

Edit #2: Closing thread because parade sign-up thread has been posted here: http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...E-5PM-on-1-31-!!!
    Last edited by Spiderman; Wed Jan 29th, 2014 at 04:11 PM.
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Re: St. Patrick's Day Parade Changes! Do We Still Want to Participate? Please Read &

Death.

How does the appeal process work?
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Re: St. Patrick's Day Parade Changes! Do We Still Want to Participate? Please Read &

BOOOOOO!!!!! But...not riding would be...very sad. I think we could all hang out in the staging area and ride the parade when we are called up. I say keep doing it.
    "With every broken bone, I swear I lived."

The "City" has been slowly removing the things this group could do in this parade from day one.

The first parade I can remember had Hoopty doing stunts down two rows of bikes all doing burnouts.
    The next they would only let us do Stunts.
    Then no burnouts. (Damn near arrested Sash)
    Then no riders passing out anything.
    Now they are down to 10 riders. (I'm assuming so they can see which one of us they can arrest for something.)

Time to give it up, folks.
    Last edited by Snowman; Fri Jan 24th, 2014 at 02:22 PM.

MRA Racer No.427

Resident Hater Site Admin Canuck's Avatar

Wow. I was just thinking about participating in the parade this year. But, the Hell with it. Randall is right, the city have been restricting us incrementally for years now.
    I say, stick a fork in it.
    RIP Gene. You are a good friend that will be missed. I'm Gene Bazyl Bitch!!

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

I'm over it.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

It's always been a ton of fun and i was planning to borrow a bike to be in it this year, but if we cant all ride as a group i fail to see the point, 10 bikes is a joke, the city can shove it!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Now they are down to 10 riders. (I'm assuming so they can see which one of us they can arrest for something.)
    As was explained to me, this was done based on feedback from spectators, who commented that the vehicle entries (of which there are many, and their numbers increase every year) are too long, and the gaps between your "typical" parade entries (marching bands & floats) are too big. I remember looking back from the front of our group once a few years ago, and at one point, we had gotten so spaced out, we took up a block and a half! I can see how limiting vehicle entries to 10 will have a positive effect on the spectators' complaints.

I spoke to one of the Parade Committee chairpersons, and explained that a big part of this, for us, is that it's a group experience that we all share together. She was very appreciative of me calling and letting her know in person, and will bring that concern to the board. I doubt it will make a difference, but we won't know for sure until registration for the 2015 parade starts.
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
    R.I.P. 502

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
    I remember looking back from the front of our group once a few years ago, and at one point, we had gotten so spaced out, we took up a block and a half!
    To be fair, that's probably because someone needed a half-block to get up into a block-long wheelie.

than sincere ignorance

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

What if we were to ride 6 bikes wide of 5 rows or something? That would have similar gapping to 5 cars X.x
    MRA Expert #880 - 2015 AmateurGTO Champion, 2013 NoviceGTU Champion
    2006 YZF-R6 Race "No name" - 2005 YZF-R6 Street "Aurora"
    2015 Sponsors: Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, STM Suspension, Silkolene Lubricants, EBC Brakes, Pit-Bull Products

Text: (72O) 432-7236

the whining pussies have won again

I have always thought the crowd (especially the kids) loved our bikes and costumes... and Bob and Sash's smoky burnouts.

Oh well.. *meh* over it.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Did it a cpl yrs ago . Missed last yr. but I would be dwn for 2014. Met some grt folks that I have forgotten already.

I know how to spell it, I just forgot the other "h". Heater's Avatar

It's tradition! I vote yes.

Such a great time that we have and the kids love the bikes, why limit the only biker group they have? Oh yes don't limit those big as semi trucks and what not. Plus even in split groups it's still the same amount of bikes, what an idiotic thing to do. I'll still ride it cause it's fun as hell if I can find a bike. Bee having a blast these past 4 years.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

. I vote to keep it going. It is a lot of fun :-)
    Last edited by DemonRider; Sat Jan 25th, 2014 at 02:27 AM.
    €~~~ Ramon Uribe ~~~€. 2011 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R (Current 2019)

-"CSC Community" Trailer - Is Available As Of (Stolen!!!!!!!) FML - @ My Home
    720-475-6984

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    To be fair, that's probably because someone needed a half-block to get up into a block-long wheelie.
    Now that you mention it...

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    Such a great time that we have and the kids love the bikes, why limit the only biker group they have? Oh yes don't limit those big as semi trucks and what not. Plus even in split groups it's still the same amount of bikes, what an idiotic thing to do. I'll still ride it cause it's fun as hell if I can find a bike. Bee having a blast these past 4 years.
    The only motorcycle group they have?!? They have an award for Best Motorcycle Entry... in the 12 years we've been participating in the parade, we've only ever won it twice. Just because you don't see any other motorcycles in the staging area, doesn't mean there aren't any - it's a big staging area... trust me, we are definitely not the only motorcycle group! And the new rule applies to any entry comprised entirely of motorized vehicles (think car clubs & motorcycles). Semi's don't fall into that category because it's not about the semi, it's about the float the semi is pulling, and each float is a separate entry. And finally, it's not about reducing the number of vehicles - it's about mixing things up more, so the spectators feel like their seeing more variety. Think of it this way - if you had to watch 3 hours worth of television commercials, and you had to watch each commercial 10 times, would you rather watch each commercial 10 times in a row, or mix them up so no 2 commercials in a row are the same?
    R.I.P. 502

I just feel bad for the shriners. Those guys have like 300 vehicles!

than sincere ignorance

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
    Now that you mention it...

The only motorcycle group they have?!? They have an award for Best Motorcycle Entry... in the 12 years we've been participating in the parade, we've only ever won it twice. Just because you don't see any other motorcycles in the staging area, doesn't mean there aren't any - it's a big staging area... trust me, we are definitely not the only motorcycle group! And the new rule applies to any entry comprised entirely of motorized vehicles (think car clubs & motorcycles). Semi's don't fall into that category because it's not about the semi, it's about the float the semi is pulling, and each float is a separate entry. And finally, it's not about reducing the number of vehicles - it's about mixing things up more, so the spectators feel like their seeing more variety. Think of it this way - if you had to watch 3 hours worth of television commercials, and you had to watch each commercial 10 times, would you rather watch each commercial 10 times in a row, or mix them up so no 2 commercials in a row are the same?
    Okay well I'm still in if this goes down, plus we are the best sport bike club bro, who are they? Pfff! Lol
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

I've done it since 2008 and enjoyed it every time. I voted no. If the complaint about vehicle groups is a valid representation of the overall feeling of the crowd, then so be it. Based on my experience interacting with the crowd each time, I find that a little hard to believe. Motorcycles allow a level of interaction with the crowd that is hard to do from, say, a car. It would be interesting to know how the other affected groups feel about it. I'd bet that the crowd's reaction would be one of great disappointment if all of the vehicle groups disappeared.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

I vote yes clubs gotta stay active in as much as it can and this is a pretty big one for it.
    Three groups, 3 different themes??!!!

I did it once, I think 2005. I was on my DRZ Supermoto. It was fun to do it once, but once was enough for me. Too many rules and regulations. Really hard on the motorcycle.

Board Newbie

I think we should go ahead and do it. Maybe each group of bikes could have a theme of some sort (incorporating St. Patty's Day of course). Might be cool to have the ladies riding together or something. Might as well get creative if we're gonna be split up.

Board Newbie

I say stick with it because it was the only time we could all get together and have a good time