Thread: Jeffco bike cop taken out by cager on 93

Jeffco bike cop taken out by cager on 93

Was just watching the reply of the 6pm channel 7 broadcast. They were reporting a grey hair in a cage attempted a pass on double yellow and took out a longtime Jeffco sheriff.

Hope I got all that correct. They weren't reporting the victims name yet. Still attempting to notify family.
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Re: Jeffco bike cop taken out by cager on 93

Just read the story. Old man drifted into opposing lane... Head-on with the deputy's HD. Thoughts and prayers for the family ..

here's the story.. We have a good family friend who is a motorcycle cop in boulder. He was really shaken up.
    http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...ty-sunday-1234
    06 GSXR 750

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Initially I just heard "crossed the double yellow" and assumed the old guy just drifted, but now it's pretty consistently being reported that he tried to make an illegal pass. One place noted it occurred around a curve as well, but I don't know that for sure. Would seem to fit though, there are curves on either side of that intersection and if it had been the straight bit, I'd think the rider would have been able to see it.

Definitely a bad wreck. The SUV's front end was mostly compressed from the bike.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Generic's Avatar

This highway was my commute all of last year, a bit scary with that in mind and I feel for his family.

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    Initially I just heard "crossed the double yellow" and assumed the old guy just drifted, but now it's pretty consistently being reported that he tried to make an illegal pass. One place noted it occurred around a curve as well, but I don't know that for sure. Would seem to fit though, there are curves on either side of that intersection and if it had been the straight bit, I'd think the rider would have been able to see it.

Definitely a bad wreck. The SUV's front end was mostly compressed from the bike.
    It sucks to hear this, thoughts and prayers for his family, etc.

Given the news video that exists, I don't quite get how the accident occurred. It looks to be right North of 68th, before it really curves that much. You have two Northbound lanes, 1 Southbound lane, and more than a lane worth of center between the two double yellows.
    Blair
    2000 GSX750F, 2003 YZ450F, 2004 GSXR750, 2006 ZX-14
    2013 CBR500R, 2016 YZF-R6 - MRA #760

Quote Originally Posted by blaircsf View Post

Given the news video that exists, I don't quite get how the accident occurred. It looks to be right North of 68th, before it really curves that much. You have two Northbound lanes, 1 Southbound lane, and more than a lane worth of center between the two double yellows.
    I noticed this from the newscast too.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

JEFFERSON COUNTY, Colo. - The Jefferson County Sheriff's Office has identified the motorcycle deputy who was killed in a head-on crash Sunday as Sgt. David Baldwin, a 27-year veteran of the department.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...eteran01272014
    John
    KTM Duke 690

So sad. But, I'm glad he went out doing what he loved. Wish he didn't have to though.

I really wish agencies would stop using motorcycles. Too many cops dying in crashes that would be easily survivable in a car
    Last edited by Aaron; Mon Jan 27th, 2014 at 08:34 PM.

Chocolate Thunder

Very sad...tired of people getting g hurt on motorcycles.

Kerry
    Suzuki Gladius 650
    GSXR 750

Taste the rainbow...B*itch
    http://www.pajiba.com/videos/awesome...inbow-btch.php

Quote Originally Posted by blaircsf View Post

Saw it again tonight and I'm as confused as you are.

This is very tragic. My prayers go out to the officer, his family, and all. I was riding southbound on 93 just after they had closed the road and will admit it was VERY windy. That probably had nothing to do with the accident however. I also wonder why in the olden days (yea I am) and accident was moved off the road and they did not just close it. Oh well it made for a fun 10 mile detour anyway and that is what I was doing, riding.
    84 R100RS LE, 14 Ducati MTSGT, 18 Desert Sled, 73 850 Commando, 78 CT90, 14 Ural, 74 Eldorado police, 64 R50/2, 01 DRZ400E, 94 900SS/CR, 77 HD XLCR, 2011 T100, 63 MG Falcone', 75 Ducati 860GT, 2015 Royal Enfield Classic Chrome, 2009 XR1200, 1944 Nimbus, 1989 GB500 https://lomaxcm.smugmug.com/

It pretty standard to close the road on any fatal accident for the accident reconstruction. In fact even highways, I25 included, will be closed for a fatal accident.

It's a lot different on a Police bike. Just like a police car, there is so much going on around you that you have to pay attention to. For example, when you're stopped at a red light, do you consciously look at every driver all around you calculating which one is the most likely to pull a gun and start shooting, and then reposition your vehicle accordingly? Cops do at every intersection. Add to that the radio, lights/siren, radar instruments, and then the fact that you have to do your job, watching for traffic violators. The risk simply isn't worth the benefit. Also, when a motorcyclist dies in a normal traffic accident, it's terrible don't get me wrong, but an on-duty death costs everyone so much more (Not just financially).

Sad stuff. He was a nice guy; met him last year at a motorcycle event. Best thoughts are with his family and JCSO

If I was in command of an agency, we wouldn't own a single motorcycle. They don't offer a single useful advantage over a patrol car. I'm glad the Officers enjoy them, I would too, but work isn't about having fun, it's about getting the job done as safely, effectively, and efficiently as possible. If one can do that without impacting the other areas, I'm all for it. But motorcycles impact so much of the Officer's safety, effectiveness, and efficiency without any benefit, that I cannot see the value in them.

I think it's up to the department. Motorcycles may offer advantages within cities where alleys and streets may be tight and they can offer additional maneuverability. I'm not sure if they have a place in the "country" or not. If what Aaron said is true, and the safety of the officer is lessened because of the additional exposure, then that is a critical factor to help the department make the decision.

It is a decision made by the department, but there are only 2 reasons for the bikes. First is the image in parades and stuff. Ok ya they look good in parades, but doesn't justify their expense and dangers.

The second argument is they can hide better so people don't see them while they run radar. This argument is completely without grounds. Having run plenty of radar, I "hide" in plain sight in a fully marked car. Not once did I ever see someone speeding, and see them slow down before I tagged them. People don't pay attention, and honestly, those are the ones I want to catch. Because if they didn't see the huge red white and blue police car with reflective graphics, they didn't see the guy in the crosswalk either. But even then, nobody pays attention, at least not good enough to slow before I tagged them.

Bikes are faster. In 4.5 years, I never had a situation where I couldn't catch a car due to lack of power, and at 4,000 lbs with 225hp, the Crown Vic is SLOW. Criminals don't drive Corvettes, and the cars they drive that are quicker, they drive rather poorly. In my 2 pursuits, one was vs a Honda Civic the other a Trailblazer. Trailblazer was about equal on straights, but I caught up because of better driving in braking and corners. Once I caught up he gave up. The Civic was little contest, and he crashed out in 3 blocks.