* I am currently managing ABATE's Facebook page and I will post their updates on here periodically.

Hello Concerned Motorcyclists 2/6/14

No changes on the state level, so I’ll just get right into motorcycle concerns on the National level.

• HR 875 (E-15 Fuel) – 22 co-sponsors (none from CO).
    • Officially Title: To provide for a comprehensive assessment of the scientific and technical research on the implications of the use of mid-level ethanol blends, and for other purposes.
    • Summary: Briefly, fuel produced with 15% ethanol is harmful to motorcycle engines and this bill requests the EPA to do further testing on E-15 fuel.
    • Sponsor: Rep. Sensenbrenner (WI)
    • Introduced: 2/27/13
    • Action: Referred to the subcommittee on Environment on 4/11/13.
    • HR 1462 (Renewable Fuel Standards Reform Act) – 54 co-sponsors (none from CO)
      • Summary: This bill would lower the amount of ethanol produced in 2014.
      • Sponsor: Rep. Goodlatte (VA)
      • Introduced: 4/10/13
      • Action: Referred to the subcommittee on Energy and Power on 4/12 13.
      • HR 1861 (Motorcycle Only Checkpoints) – 43 co-sponsors (none from CO)
        • Official Title: Stop Motorcycle Checkpoint Funding Act
        • Summary: Prohibits the Secretary of Transportation (DOT) from providing grants or funds to a state, county, town, or township, Indian tribe, municipal, or other local government for use in any program to check helmet usage or create checkpoints for a motorcycle driver or passenger.
        • Sponsor: Rep. Sensenbrenner (WI)
        • Introduced: 5/7/2013
        • Action: Referred to the Subcommittee on Highways and Transit on 5/8/13.
        • HR 2414 (Black Box Privacy Protection Act) – 13 co-sponsors (none from CO)
          • Summary: Requires the event data recorder in an automobile or motorcycle, and any data recorded, to be considered the property of the owner of the automobile or motorcycle.
          • Sponsor: Rep. Capuano (MA)
          • Introduced: 6/18/13
          • Action: Referred to the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, Homeland Security, and Investigations on 7/15/13.
          • S 1925 (Driver Privacy Act) companion bill to HR 2414 – 18 co-sponsors (Sen. Bennet from CO is a co-sponsor)
            • Summary: Declares that any data in an event data recorder required to be installed in a passenger motor vehicle is the property of the owner or lessee of the vehicle in which the recorder is installed, regardless of when the vehicle was manufactured.
            • Sponsor: Sen. Hoeven (ND)
            • Introduced: 1/14/14
            • Action: Referred to the Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation on 1/14/14.

Note: The summaries above are just brief summations. The entire bills and all relevant information can be accessed at www.thomas.loc.gov or goggle Library of Congress.
So what good is all this information? If you’re really concerned about motorcycle freedoms you can find out who your U.S. Legislators are at www.votesmart.org and send them an e-mail asking them to support these bills.
Again, I’ll try to keep these postings short, but if you need more information, don’t hesitate to contact me at stumpandval@msn.com.
Stump – ABATE State Legislative Affairs Officer