Thread: WSBK - 2014

Senior Member Moderator

WSBK - 2014

Opening weekend for WSBK at Phillip Island was last weekend and things have certainly changed. If you've had the chance to watch the action, what were your thoughts?

Eugene Laverty, wow, just wow! I was cheering for him all last season and when I heard the news that he was dropped from Aprilia I was a little bummed out. Especially since it seemed like the only other competitive machine this season would be the Kawasaki due to BMW's withdrawal, and it didn't look like Sykes and Baz would be going anywhere soon. So, when I saw the news that Laverty had signed on with Suzuki I was disappointed for his chances. Man, I ate my words on Sunday, and it was awesome!

I was really hoping Johnny Rea would be in better contention, granted, the season is just starting, but I hoped he'd have a new Honda for this year. But if Suzuki is able to coax more performance out of their aging platform, maybe the PATA team can find something there as well.

It really sucks not seeing the Gold Bet BMW super bikes in the fray, and I have mixed feelings about the new EVO class. I guess it fills out the roster, but it seems a little too much like MotoGP for my taste. I enjoyed watching the super stock races from last year, and now that they're in the mix with the super bikes I won't get to see as much of them as I'd like.

A decent showing by Ducati, well, if your name is Giuliano, but it still looks to be off the pace somewhat. We'll see if they can make a better showing as the season progresses. I won't hold my breath.

Also interesting is the new rules for this season. It sounds like Dorna is doing all they can to make SBK different from MotoGP, but I don't think I agree with the price caps on suspension and brakes. Not that it'll stop me from watching.

What did you guys think?
    Last edited by Drano; Tue Feb 25th, 2014 at 04:47 PM.

Re: WSBK - 2014

Agreed that it was a wonderful way to start the season. Really wanted to see Sam Lowes mix it up for a win, but was still happily surprised to see the Suzuki running at the front. Hopefully it wont be a season of Aprillia running away with the title since BMW has pulled out.

Not sure on the whole EVo thing. If next year all the bikes are forced to conform to the EVO rules, and the grids remain large i'm good with it I guess.

I subscribed to WSBK and MOTOGP to stream all the races, so far, money well spent.
    Aprilia RSV Mille R

It sucks Laverty's engine blew during the second race. How many engines does he have left for the season...7 or so?
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

Senior Member Moderator

Lowes definitely had the pace in race 2. Had it not been for his errors he certainly had the potential to be with the front runners, but I think his leg injury was affecting him.

I thought I had heard the announcers mention that next year the bikes would all be like the EVO class. I don't think I like that idea, except that it may bring more teams riding different machines into the series. I don't know if that will happen though. Last season, the super stock class consisted of 3 Panigales, 6 HP4s, and the rest of them were ZX-10Rs. I don't fault teams for picking a bike that, from an economical perspective, gets them on the track, and competitively so, at the lowest cost possible, but I would worry that the same thing could happen if SBK moves away from factory support to customer teams.

Mark, what happened to Luigi!?

Quote Originally Posted by kawasakirob View Post
    It sucks Laverty's engine blew during the second race. How many engines does he have left for the season...7 or so?
    Yeah, all teams have an 8 engine rule so blowing one this early in the season is not a comforting thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Drano View Post
    Mark, what happened to Luigi!?

I traded him for a Toyota. Seriously.
    Aprilia RSV Mille R

Senior Member Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MarkT View Post
    I traded him for a Toyota. Seriously.
    Ugh, I'm sorry to hear that, man. That 748 was one of a kind.