Thread: 2008 ZX-10R Clutch Cable Adjustment - Any tips?

2008 ZX-10R Clutch Cable Adjustment - Any tips?

I had to replace the clutch cable because it frayed with less than 7K miles on the bike. I have the cable installed, but I am not sure how to adjust it correctly. I have the maintenance procedure, but don't understand the following step:

"Pull the clutch outer cable [D] tight and tighten the adjusting nuts against the bracket."

I can move the one adjusting nut to the end of the threaded section toward to front of the bike and move the other adjusting nut to the end of the threaded section toward the rear of the bike (which puts the nut almost on the exposed cable). I can grab D and move it either toward the front of the bike or the rear of the bike so that's where I am confused. If I push it toward the rear of the bike the release lever [A] goes further back then what is shown in the third picture. I can make the adjusting nut that is on the front of bike side touch the bracket [C] on the clutch cable cover. If I grab D and move it toward the front of the bike I can make the adjusting nut that is on the rear of the bike side touch the bracket [C] on the clutch cable cover.

Also prior to going back to the top of the steps of the maintenance procedure, I tried adjusting the cable a few ways while the bike was on a rear stand and each time the rear wheel turned while the bike was in neutral. I could stop it temporarily with my foot but as soon as to took my foot off the cable the tire would start turning slowly
    again. That's when I figured I should ask how to do this correctly.

Let me know if you can clear this up for me and offer any other tips for adjusting this correctly. I want to avoid frying a clutch because I adjusted it incorrectly.

Here is the procedure I am following:

"6 pairs of kicks is my definition of 12 steps"

Re: 2008 ZX-10R Clutch Cable Adjustment - Any tips?

I'm trying to figure out what you're saying and keep getting lost. Could be because I'm watching Walking Dead too.
    Easy way...
    1. Screw the handlebar adjustment all the way into the perch.
    2. Using the adjusting nuts near the point where the cable attaches to the clutch itself, adjust until the cable is almost tight.
    3. Adjust the handlebar adjustment knob until there is a little bit of play in the lever.
    4. Enjoy your beer.

Also, the rear wheel will always spin even in neutral, so don't worry about it.
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

"Pull the clutch outer cable [D] tight and tighten the adjusting nuts against the bracket."

I think it means pull the inner cable while holding the outer tight against the connecters, to take up all the slack, so as not to introduce a space where the outer could fold or pinch

oh, and also followed same 4 steps above while watching Park and rec, clutch is butter smooth