Thread: When do suspension settings change?

Lightbulb When do suspension settings change?

Hey All - I was riding this winter and noticed my suspension felt different. It felt like my front wheel was chattering too much on turn entry, but it was definitely a new feeling. So I read about it and turned up my rebound damping on my fork by 2 notches. It felt way better! So I think what happened is that the cold weather messed with my oil, but that's just a guess.

So that got me thinking - first off, do any of you more expert riders normally have to change your suspension settings based on weather?
    And second off, does your suspension adjustments change after you get your seals changed/oil replaced?

I'm asking because I'd done a fair amount of testing and got my preferred settings dialed in, I knew the number of clicks on both rebound and compression for the fork and the shock. So if I go get my seals replaced or just give my suspension a normal maintenance routine at the shop, do I have to start all over again?

Appreciate your thoughts. See you on the road.

Re: When do suspension settings change?

Anything from low tire pressure to crowned tires can give you a weird feeling. Forks should be serviced if you haven't done so. Dave at STM in Fort Collins is pretty good for that, not sure what other local shops (Madmoto, TFOG, etc) do suspension set ups.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Sure, weather can affect the oil, but It would typically go the opposite way of what you suggested as the cold would make the oil act thicker, not thinner.

The oil in the fork and shock is just like the oil elsewhere on a motorcycle. It's subject to viscosity breakdown with use. It also becomes contaminated. So, just like the oil elsewhere on the bike it should be changed routinely. The settings may change slightly with new oil, especially if you change brand and or weight of the oil. For example silkolene 5w is not the same as bel ray 5w

the motorcycle is a dynamic machine. Like Damir said, things like tire wear or pressure would have the effect your talking about, and honestly is the more likely culprit of a change due to weather.
    Last edited by rybo; Thu Mar 20th, 2014 at 04:55 AM.

Right on, thanks for the replies. I keep a pretty tight tab on my tire pressures (have had to learn to adjust those in winter as well to keep them warm enough), but this was good advice.

Do either of you who responded, or anyone else, have any guidance for managing your suspension settings quickly and easily after changing something? Like do you always turn to a certain number of clicks and then fine tune a click or two either way after an adjustment? Or are you just always fiddling with it?

You have a base setting and you work from there. Too many variables as mentioned from bike to bike and rider to rider to give a standard answer.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    You have a base setting and you work from there. Too many variables as mentioned from bike to bike and rider to rider to give a standard answer.

Agree,

and I keep a log.

Date
    Temperature (air/track)
    conditions (sunny, overcast, rain)
    Tire
    Tire condition
    Tire pressure

I've been racing for a little more than 10 years now, so I have some of my stuff pretty well sorted. Ultimately I'm not usually making changes much beyond a couple clicks one way or another.

The spring is the most important part. If it's wrong there is simply no change you can make with the rest of the clickers that will make up for it. Once that's right it's really trial and error since every rider likes a little different "feel".

At the extremely pointy end - the suspension settings for Jorge Lorenzo simply DO NOT WORK for Valentino Rossi, even though they are both world class riders on nearly identical machines with the same tires.