Thread: I don fked up

Question I don fked up

So over winter my 06 gsxr750 sat for about a month and a half. When I went to start it, it needed a jump. Well little did I know you are not suppose to jump a bike with a running car... Well about 3 weeks later and my bike just dies, everything. No cluster, no lights, no start. Pushed it home (luckily only 200 yards away). Battery was at 0% and charged it fully. Road it about 6 miles and it drained the battery fully again.

Did some tests, fuses good, but was getting 3 volts from the stator instead of 65v. Popped it open and yup, got some fried coils. (never smelt anything burning, however when it died it was pouring rain lol).

Since that was bad, we couldn't really test the Rectifier, but I looked at the back of it and found 2 cracks. They aren't really raised, but they are 2 nice cracks in the same place that I have seen other R/Rs go bad (although those seemed to be raised bumps, mine are just cracks).

I'm curious if that tells me that it's bad as well? Voltage on a full battery was 12.4 not running, running it was like 11.8. Is the R/R bad as well? Or do I need to wait to get the new stator and then test the battery with everything hooked up?

Thanks everyone!
    06 GSXR 750

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Re: I don fked up

You can test the R/R but cracks are never good, and it's probably stressed internally from everything. R/R's are fairly cheap to replace as they aren't really anything special or unique, so if it were me I'd just do it.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Yeah I already ordered them both. But I spent 300 from Ricks, with a 1 year warranty. That $95 set scares me.. I'd rather do it right the first time .
    06 GSXR 750

guess what, mine also went today as well. since I had to pay towing, I'm getting the $95 one

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

Paying $300 from Rick's doesn't necessarily mean you're doing it right either, it's a crap shoot. I purchased both items through local places here and both went bad just under the warranty.. Trying to get them to replace it under warranty was a pain in the butt so I said screw it and their aftermarket junk... So that's TWO that I had to replace within a year... I eventually went with OEM parts.

I wish you both the best of luck!

If you're an AMA member, you get free towing (I already have it on my insurance tho)

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    So that's TWO that I had to replace within a year... I eventually went with OEM parts.

oops, that's not good

2 EACH!!! no bueno.. .. .

Quote Originally Posted by Ph03niX View Post
    Well little did I know you are not suppose to jump a bike with a running car...
    Wow, I've never heard this before. What's the theory/problem with this? Too much voltage (roughly 13.8v from a running car) for the bikes electronics to handle? Does this apply to all bikes or just newer ones with more electronics? I've always had dirtbikes, so this whole battery thing is new to me (and my dirtbike now has a battery, but it has a kick starter as a back up).
    The Toys:
    05 Suzuki SV1000S
    07 KTM 450EXC
    00 Toyota MR2
    76 Toyota Landcruiser Rockcrawler
    13 Yeti SB66c
    Too many skis to list

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    guess what, mine also went today as well. since I had to pay towing, I'm getting the $95 one
    Wow that's stupid.. lol. What's up with this!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    Paying $300 from Rick's doesn't necessarily mean you're doing it right either, it's a crap shoot. I purchased both items through local places here and both went bad just under the warranty.. Trying to get them to replace it under warranty was a pain in the butt so I said screw it and their aftermarket junk... So that's TWO that I had to replace within a year... I eventually went with OEM parts.

I wish you both the best of luck!

If you're an AMA member, you get free towing (I already have it on my insurance tho)
    I know I may not be doing it "right" but the warranty makes me feel better, and the prices on OEM parts just feels like you're getting shafted.. If it happens again (I'm hoping it only happened because I jumped it with the car), then I'll just have to buy OEM ones. And I actually used my moms truck, my uncles tow hitches, and my buddies trailer and towed it home myself haha.
    Thanks though man!

Quote Originally Posted by teamextreme View Post
    Wow, I've never heard this before. What's the theory/problem with this? Too much voltage (roughly 13.8v from a running car) for the bikes electronics to handle? Does this apply to all bikes or just newer ones with more electronics? I've always had dirtbikes, so this whole battery thing is new to me (and my dirtbike now has a battery, but it has a kick starter as a back up).
    From what I've researched, the amps coming from a car are a lot higher than a motorcycle can take, so it causes damage to the electrical components. They say if you have to jump it from a car, do it with the car OFF.
    06 GSXR 750

seems to be batteries and stators in the spring, clutches chains and brakes in the fall

Around $50 for a 750 CCA Diehard battery booster. Best $50 I ever spent.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    Around $50 for a 750 CCA Diehard battery booster. Best $50 I ever spent.
    What does a battery booster do?? Make it so you can run longer if the stator goes out?
    06 GSXR 750

John
    KTM Duke 690

I have a battery booster that allows for adjustable volts for differences in cars and motorcycles, had to use it during those cold times back in December. But it appears if your bike sat for over a month this may have all been avoidable if you had a $15 battery tender! I now have 2 of them, 1 for each of my bikes and keept them nice and charged during those cold times. My garage floor is off from shifting so my garage door does not close all the way and allows for tons of cold air into the garage where the bikes are, so the tender appears to be my life saver.
    2005 Suzuki SV650s Blue (SOLD), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636 Lime Green

Quote Originally Posted by UHATEIT View Post
    I have a battery booster that allows for adjustable volts for differences in cars and motorcycles, had to use it during those cold times back in December. But it appears if your bike sat for over a month this may have all been avoidable if you had a $15 battery tender! I now have 2 of them, 1 for each of my bikes and keept them nice and charged during those cold times. My garage floor is off from shifting so my garage door does not close all the way and allows for tons of cold air into the garage where the bikes are, so the tender appears to be my life saver.
    MY bat was never discharged, driving along -pop- bike stops running and all electrical is down

SONOFA.... my stator decided to effing die out AGAIN!!! damn Suzuki.. so much FAIL! ... so.. onto my 4th one now.. they all suck! Thank goodness for back up bikes

I was walking out of my house last week and saw my early 20's something neighbor with his bike out in front of his jeep. I asked him what was going on and he said he was going to jumpstart his bike. I talked him out of it and after discussing the issue with him and trying to push start the bike, we realized it wasn't even the battery that was the issue.

Good info from this thread. I am sure I just saved him an RR down the line. Thanks guys.

I rode my R1 for two years with a dead stator. I had two batteries that I would swap so one was always charged and during the day I unplugged my headlights.

This one really needs to be told in person, too many details. This sounds completely preposterous, but is 100% true! I drove my Mustang for six months with no brakes. Even the e-brake cable broke and I had no brakes AT ALL!! This was during high school and I had to go see my girlfriend, daily, who lived over twenty-five miles away.

Talk about planning your stops! Sometimes I had to bump reverse when it looked like I was not going to stop in time. If you do it just right, it won't kill the engine. Another time, in the rain, I was going down a hill that had a stop sign at the bottom. I wasn't stopping and had it completely in revers, on the gas even and stopped perfectly at the sign. The good ol' days!!
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

I have a old ninja I let a buddy borrow. He left the key on and killed the battery. He jumped it with his car to get it running and smoked the rectifier... lets just say he never borrowed a bike again.
    -Eugene-

2007 black hayabusa touring beast
    2003 KTM 525sx/exc hybrid
    2002 black and blue hayabusa- (SOLD)
    2000 ZX7R STREETFIGHTER-(SOLD)

I've jumped started plenty a bikes with a car (yes running) and never had this issue. How long are you guys leaving the load on the batteries? I have only had issues with one of my bikes R/R and that was one I never jumped with a car. It was an 05 Triumph Daytona 650. Those bikes were riddled with electric issues from the manufacture.

Dang, good to know