Thread: Probably another 125 or 250 thread

Probably another 125 or 250 thread

A guy I'm working with brought his dirtbike to work though it's a 450. Talking to him, I definitely want a 2 stroke. Mostly for learning wheelies without wrecking my street bike, and riding track with a buddy (also excited to get into 2 strokes to dive into engine maintenance). Talking to this guy, it sounds like I should get a 125 because you do clutch wheelies which would make it a lot more like street riding rather than a 250 where it just wants to wheelie all over the place. Or is a wheelie just a wheelie? I just worry about a lack of power because I started out on a 250 for street and wish I would have just went straight for the 600. What do you think? I found a KTM 125 SX for sale I'm thinking about picking up.But when you buy a dirtbike, you don't have to title/register it so you don't deal with taxes and all at least right? Maybe it wouldn't be so bad working my way up as it was with the street bike. I feel like I spent too much money, and hassle with buying/titling/selling the 250 not very long after I bought it and then getting to do the whole buying/titling with the 600sPlanning to pick one up really soon, hoping to see some dirt rides planned on here as well

Present: 2006 GSXR 750 (black/yellow), 2006 Yamaha R6r (blue)
    Sold: 2011 Ninja 250 (green/black), 2007 R6s (blue)

Re: Probably another 125 or 250 thread

2 strokes are not the easiest thing to do controlled wheelies. 125 mx bikes are like light switches as far as power delivery. On or off. I love 2 stroke enduro bikes but I would never own a 125.

Re: Probably another 125 or 250 thread

If you're a full sized adult, probably a 250. Two-stroke dirt bikes are much different than the 4-cycle variety. The clutch is to control power and keep the engine "on the pipe." As for wheelies, you'd be better off with a 250 4-stroke, but most folks don't buy a dirt bike to learn how to wheelie. They are fun, challenging, and will make you a better overall rider.
    John
    KTM Duke 690