Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help chopping my exhaust can!

Help chopping my exhaust can!

I honestly do not trust myself to do it properly and I am sure some of you on here have done it before and possibly have the tools. I am willing to pay for the help since I do not have the tools to do the job and would rather have someone who knows what their doing help me out.

I am looking to chop 3 inches off of my exhaust and then would need to punch out the old rivets and then drill holes for the endcap then need a rivet gun for putting in new rivets. Once again if anyone has done this and is able to help that would be great! I am in Aurora but if anyone is fairly close by I can always remove the exhaust and drive over with it. The job does not appear to be too hard to do, perhaps an hour or so but once again I do not have the tools and do not trust myself to do it right even if I had them.

Hopefully someone can help! -Kyle
    Last edited by UHATEIT; Thu Mar 27th, 2014 at 04:25 PM.
    2005 Suzuki SV650s Blue (SOLD), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636 Lime Green

Re: Help chopping my exhaust can!

I've done a few and it isn't hard. But I am a bit of a drive for ya!
    Just a helpful hint, but if it is more than a couple years old, be a good idea to repack it.
    2000 Zx-12R; 2007 GSXR 600 (bosses bike)
    2016 BMW R1200RS Granite FOG ride
    09 G8GT, 02 WJ

Ah man yeah that's tough your so far away. I wish I could run over somewhere just get it done quickly supposedly its not that hard from what I've seen. The exhaust is about 6 months old with about 2000 miles on it. Its just not that appealing with the can being so long and it could be louder if I shorten it which is something else I want. I was actually planning to remove some of the packing at the same time to make it a bit louder too.

You can get a Delkvic pretty cheaply that will accomplish everything you want.

Quote Originally Posted by birchyboy View Post
    You can get a Delkvic pretty cheaply that will accomplish everything you want.
    I have a shorty Delkevik on my SV that I love. It sounds bitchin. But this is for my ninja. The yoshimura undertail just isn't very loud and I've seen people on the ninja forum and on YouTube that have shortened it 3-4 inches and given them great results and sound.

I'm at Hampden and Tower as well. Bring it over, you do all the work and I'll show you how simple this is.

Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    I'm at Hampden and Tower as well. Bring it over, you do all the work and I'll show you how simple this is.
    You rock thats perfect! What day/time works for you? Do you have all the tools as well? I dont have the saw/rivet gun or rivets and will pay for your machinery if you need me to!

Quote Originally Posted by UHATEIT View Post
    You rock thats perfect! What day/time works for you? Do you have all the tools as well? I dont have the saw/rivet gun or rivets and will pay for your machinery if you need me to!
    Just about anytime works. I work at home, so anytime from now 'til whenever...

Tools? Do I have tools? I have everything from a micro phillips to a CNC milling machine. We're covered...
    Kim & Dean

Tools? Do I have tools? I have everything from a micro phillips to a CNC milling machine. We're covered...
    Heck yeah! PM me or text me your address and I'll ride over after work today I'll try to leave early so I can get there sooner. I'll be riding the bike over, the exhaust shouldnt get too hot from my house to yours and I'd like to do it where we can put it back on the bike so I can amke sure everything lines up. My cell is 818-430-8299 unless you want to PM me.

Wish I was off today I'd go over there right now!

you have cnc? hi friend!!!!

Dean could open a shop with all the stuff he's got.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

[QUOTE=UHATEIT;754164]My cell is 818-430-8299 unless you want to PM me.

Yo... Where in the SF Valley you from? I lived Chatsworth and Woodland Hills for over 20 years!
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

[QUOTE=Matty;754220]
    My cell is 818-430-8299 unless you want to PM me.

Yo... Where in the SF Valley you from? I lived Chatsworth and Woodland Hills for over 20 years!
    Ha! I actually moved here from Northridge (Nordhoff and Woodley) in March 2010 for a job relocation. Before that I lived in Canoga Park (De Soto and Victory), worked off Topanga Canyon Blvd and Sherman Way. I just never got rid of my old number. I know exactly where Chatsworth and Woodland Hills are I basically lived/worked right between those.

Thanks a ton for all the help Dean! Had all the tools we needed to get the job done. It tiddys up the tail so much nicer. It's a minimal cut of 3 inches but makes it look much cleaner than the large can sticking out the back. Gave it a nice tone when giving it more gas, more noise is what I wanted but the looks are great as well

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Glad you guys were able to pull this off! While I was watching it all unfold, I thought the pooch had been screwed on an occasion or two. Thankfully Dean has the kind of tenacity to get shit like this over and done with, and you seem to have the personality to put up with a guy like Dean.

Nice work fellas!
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Yeah man we ended up finding out that the inner can that was welded on at one end actually slides out of the CF endcap so since we could not get the welds to break we just slid the inner tube out and then chopped off the length we needed to shorten it.

Sounds very badass at higher rpm and even on deceleration. Very happy with the end result. But had I been able to find a complete "how to" online then we probably could have saves 2 hours of hard work and been done quicker.

Dean was very nice and great to work with, I am surprised he actually put up with me!

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Let's not forget the guy who brought the beer! =)
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    Glad you guys were able to pull this off! While I was watching it all unfold, I thought the pooch had been screwed on an occasion or two. Thankfully Dean has the kind of tenacity to get shit like this over and done with, and you seem to have the personality to put up with a guy like Dean.

Nice work fellas!
    What kind of guy am I, Barn? Precise, analytical, efficient, knowledgeable, helpful, generous, lousy at hiding emotions, easily aggravated when people say they know how to do something when in reality they have no clue? Just curious...

Yeah man we ended up finding out that the inner can that was welded on at one end actually slides out of the CF endcap so since we could not get the welds to break we just slid the inner tube out and then chopped off the length we needed to shorten it.

Sounds very badass at higher rpm and even on deceleration. Very happy with the end result. But had I been able to find a complete "how to" online then we probably could have saves 2 hours of hard work and been done quicker.

Dean was very nice and great to work with, I am surprised he actually put up with me!
    I prefer to not experiment on (or be responsible for) other peoples bikes, that's why I asked so many times if you knew how to do it. No worries either way, we got it figured out and I think it looks great!!! Now, Kyle and I are experts on modifying Yosh pipes on 636s.
    Kim & Dean

Good job guys, it looks great!
    06 GSXR 750

Kyle, wait until you hear the sound of my pipes on my SV1000. My buddy and me took the stock baffles out and then put the cap back on. The SV is so stinking loud now. Good job on yours, looks good. Can't wait to hear it.
    Erich-
    2004 SV650S - 8K miles - SOLD
    2003 SV1000S - 15K miles - My new love!

What kind of guy am I, Barn? Precise, analytical, efficient, knowledgeable, helpful, generous, lousy at hiding emotions, easily aggravated when people say they know how to do something when in reality they have no clue? Just curious...

I prefer to not experiment on (or be responsible for) other peoples bikes, that's why I asked so many times if you knew how to do it. No worries either way, we got it figured out and I think it looks great!!! Now, Kyle and I are experts on modifying Yosh pipes on 636s.
    Yeah man thanks for the help! I am sorry that I seemed to know nothing of the type of work I was doing, I have never chopepd any can before I do the basic mods but this was out of my realm of knowledge and I didnt want to do it wrong so I am glad that you were able to help and put up with my unknowing self!

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbie303 View Post
    Kyle, wait until you hear the sound of my pipes on my SV1000. My buddy and me took the stock baffles out and then put the cap back on. The SV is so stinking loud now. Good job on yours, looks good. Can't wait to hear it.

I would imagine your SV would sound much louder than this 636 thats for sure. My SV650 is still crazy loud compared to this bike, but thats a short can with short midpipe. This sounds a tad louder but nothing crazy miraculous as I imagine your SV sounds. It is good that you were able to modify yours to the loudness you wanted, since aftermarket dual cans for the SV1000 are crazy expensive!

I would imagine your SV would sound much louder than this 636 thats for sure. My SV650 is still crazy loud compared to this bike, but thats a short can with short midpipe. This sounds a tad louder but nothing crazy miraculous as I imagine your SV sounds. It is good that you were able to modify yours to the loudness you wanted, since aftermarket dual cans for the SV1000 are crazy expensive!
    I love the fact that the stock pipes are on yet the sound is insane. Once I get some extra cash I will put on a set of aftermarket pipes, but decided with the free version for right now Hopefully we can get riding soon. Putting my pilot road 2's on tomorrow.
    Erich-
    2004 SV650S - 8K miles - SOLD
    2003 SV1000S - 15K miles - My new love!

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbie303 View Post
    I love the fact that the stock pipes are on yet the sound is insane. Once I get some extra cash I will put on a set of aftermarket pipes, but decided with the free version for right now Hopefully we can get riding soon. Putting my pilot road 2's on tomorrow.
    Modifying the stock cans gives you pretty much the same as any aftermarket can, more flow and more sound. The only problem is some people take too much away....

On a different subject, if my SV1k sells I'll have a pair of Two Bros cans I'll be selling. Not showroom quality but not dented.