Thread: 2005 r6 shuts off when put into gear...WTF

2005 r6 shuts off when put into gear...WTF

Some background on the bike:
    - 2005 r6
    - Bike starts and runs fine.
    - Attempted theft on it cut the ignition wires and put a couple of them together. Each wire has been reconnected to its correct place and the bike starts up just fine.
    - NO, THE KICKSTAND IS NOT DOWN.
    - ATTEMPTED TO BYPASS KICKSTAND SWITCH TO NO AVAIL. I tried a jumper on the kickstand switch plug to create a circuit. Also tried without the jumper to have it open just in case the switch worked that way.
    - No FI code errors.
    - Bike hasn't been used in around a year.

So, what should I move on to trying next?

Last edited by WolFeYeZ; Sun Mar 30th, 2014 at 11:38 PM.
    MRA Expert #880 - 2015 AmateurGTO Champion, 2013 NoviceGTU Champion
    2006 YZF-R6 Race "No name" - 2005 YZF-R6 Street "Aurora"
    2015 Sponsors: Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, STM Suspension, Silkolene Lubricants, EBC Brakes, Pit-Bull Products

Text: (72O) 432-7236

Re: 2005 r6 shuts off when put into gear...WTF

Maybe the kickstand switch is stuck in? Comonly occurs when road grime and chain lube builds up

2000 tillis plus stuff with some polished stuff and some carbon fiber stuff and a little bit of tlr stuff and some gsxr stuff

Most kickstand switches do need a circuit, but Yamaha has always been weird... Could it be that the kickstand switch needs to be disconnected?
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

Quote Originally Posted by kevplus2 View Post
    Maybe the kickstand switch is stuck in? Comonly occurs when road grime and chain lube builds up
    Not stuck in, and I bypassed the kickstand switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrider View Post
    Most kickstand switches do need a circuit, but Yamaha has always been weird... Could it be that the kickstand switch needs to be disconnected?
    I tried both ways, with and without a circuit.
    2015 Sponsors: Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, STM Suspension, Silkolene Lubricants, EBC Brakes, Pit-Bull Products

Can you put the bike in gear and push it when you pull the clutch? It's possible that the clutch plates are stuck together, stalling the bike when you drop it in gear.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Be sure to have a fully charged battery and kick stand completly up. I haven't started my r6 in over a year as well, fingers crossed

my money is on ks switch

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    Can you put the bike in gear and push it when you pull the clutch? It's possible that the clutch plates are stuck together, stalling the bike when you drop it in gear.
    Yes, when I pull in the clutch with the bike off and in gear I can move the bike. Also, the bike does not seem to lurch at all when dropped into gear from neutral. This one has me really stumped. Could it have anything to do with someone messing about with the ignition wires? I got them all hooked up to their specific colors and the bike running fine otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeStylez View Post
    Be sure to have a fully charged battery and kick stand completly up. I haven't started my r6 in over a year as well, fingers crossed
    The battery goes dead after starting it 10x... then I charge it up again. Starts up and runs just fine and easy though otherwise. Also, the kickstand is definitely up... and bypassed so it should not matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    my money is on ks switch
    Bypassed...

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Clutch switch is also a possibility. Sometimes bikes won't allow you to change from N to 1 unless the clutch is pulled in. I would check continuity at the plug for the clutch switch- set for ohms and measure if there is a difference with the clutch out or in.

Do the same for the KS switch, it might be that there is a broken wire or terminal that isn't allowing your bypass to work.

I don't remember the R6 wiring that well, so it's possible that the cut ignition switch wires are part of the problem, especially if the clutch or KS switches eventually route to that location. I would call it unlikely, however, if the bike starts.

I've sometimes had luck by unplugging and re-seating all of the associated plugs.

Last, but not least, may be the gear position sensor which is in the transmission. If this is broken and the ECU doesn't know what gear the bike is in they will sometimes kill the bike.

Attached is the wiring for your bike (dont worry about the list saying 03, the 05 just got a supplement which did not include the list) Specifically note that that the ignition switch connects the blue/black and blue/yellow wires which connect the interlock wiring to the ECU. This is my suspicion as you said the ignition switch was cut.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...-04R6_wire.pdf
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...7/2005R6wd.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by longrider View Post
    Attached is the wiring for your bike (dont worry about the list saying 03, the 05 just got a supplement which did not include the list) Specifically note that that the ignition switch connects the blue/black and blue/yellow wires which connect the interlock wiring to the ECU. This is my suspicion as you said the ignition switch was cut.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...-04R6_wire.pdf
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...7/2005R6wd.pdf
    What is the interlock? I see both the KS switch and the ignition wiring both go into #11 on the diagram, the Starting circuit cut-off relay. Maybe a problem there? Or bad wiring to where I jumped the KS switch. How can I test this stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by WolFeYeZ View Post
    What is the interlock? I see both the KS switch and the ignition wiring both go into #11 on the diagram, the Starting circuit cut-off relay. Maybe a problem there? Or bad wiring to where I jumped the KS switch. How can I test this stuff?
    there's a flowchart in the r6 service manual: http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/pdf/2006R6Swsupp.pdf

page 92/538

Like rybo said. Check the clutch handle switch.
    06 Daytona 675 race
    01 red R6 #10
    86 FJ1200 #10
    06 MV Brutale 910s
    06 Honda CRF450r
    01 Yamaha YZ125
    64 Ducati 250

I guess a quick check for that would be to try and start the bike in gear. It shoukd start with lever pulled in and bike in gear.
    06 Daytona 675 race
    01 red R6 #10
    86 FJ1200 #10
    06 MV Brutale 910s
    06 Honda CRF450r
    01 Yamaha YZ125
    64 Ducati 250

Quote Originally Posted by WolFeYeZ View Post
    By interlock I meant the starting circuit cut off relay. One important note, I just noticed the device number chart does not match the diagram when you get up into the 50s, the clutch switch is really #57 I am running out of time tonight but I can tell you the kick stand switch needs to be connected to be operable in gear

Quote Originally Posted by longrider View Post
    By interlock I meant the starting circuit cut off relay. One important note, I just noticed the device number chart does not match the diagram when you get up into the 50s, the clutch switch is really #57 I am running out of time tonight but I can tell you the kick stand switch needs to be connected to be operable in gear
    It was definitely this relay. All fixed. Thanks for the help longrider!

EDIT: Fucking thieves frying my electronics -.- I kinda wish they had actually gotten it started... because at the time I had both brakes disconnected. We would have had one less thief in the world.
    Last edited by WolFeYeZ; Tue Apr 1st, 2014 at 05:16 PM.