Thread: Devil's Spine - 2014

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Devil's Spine - 2014

It's that time of year again!

Bornwildnfree was planning on hosting this year but had to back out, so I'll lead a small group to the spine again this year.

This will be my 4th trip to the spine and 3rd consecutive year running this ride.

What it is: The Devil's spine is a 68 mile section of highway US 191 running between Alpine, AZ and Clifton, AZ. Formally Highway 666. The spine consist of some of the most technically challenging motorcycle riding in North America. Think of deal's gap, but over 4x as long and without the tourist. This road is a canyon carver's dream. Challenging yet fun roads, very little traffic, little if any speed limit enforcement.

The spine ranges from highly technical hairpin turns and then gradually turns into higher speed sweepers (35-40mph yellow speed caution signs).

See video from the 2012 trip here. The video starts starts off in Colorado on the Million Dollar Highway (Hwy 550) between Silverton and Ouray. The Devil's spine starts around the 4:15 mark following our encounter with local law enforcement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljkXdOmMinI

See the 2012 thread here: http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...o-a-3-day-ride

When: Leave Friday May 9th, return Monday May 12th. (4 days)

Right now the dates are set and the current plan is truck/trailer the bikes down to Alpine. The truck/trailer can accomidate 5 bikes and riders. Currently we have 4 signed up with a possible 5th. If the 5th can make it, a 6th would be preferable to share hotel cost (2 beds per hotel room in Alpine, AZ). The 6th bike would have to ride down and if do end up having 6, I may volunteer for the ride down solo. I don't mind the ride and can make it to Alpine is a single shot if traveling solo.

Difficulty level:
    Expert

This is a difficult ride. You and your bike will be tested. The spine itself is no joke and crashing poses a serious risk of injury or death. Rock face cliffs on one side, 100 foot drop offs on the other. The area is also fairly remote with only minimal service at the two ends (Clifton and Alpine). Crashing here means crashing 800 miles from home. The other difficulty comes from the long days of riding. You should be prepared to spend up to 12 hours riding on your bike with minimal breaks and a 60 to 90 minute lunch break mid-day.

Day 4 version (If riding). The truck/trailer will take the shortest, most direct route which is I-25 south to I-40 and west

Day 1: Colorado Springs > Montrose > Durango > Gallup, NM - 505 miles, 11 to 12 hours
    Day 2: Gallup > Reserve > Clifton > Alpine - 356 miles, 10 hours
    Day 3: Alpine > Clifton > Alpine > Reserve > Gallup - 328 miles, 9 hours
    Day 4: Gallup > Durango > Montrose > Colorado Springs - 505 miles, 11 to 12 hours.

Or, and if the goal is to make it Alpine in a single day, I'll ride straight to Alpine and spend 2 days on the spine and riding the 4th day back to Colorado Springs from Alpine.

With that said, if you're an experienced sport bike and sport touring rider, this trip will be a blast. If your new to tour riding and highly technical roads, you'll be miserable.

I'm going to limit this year's trip to 4-6 bikes total; 2 to 4 is my ideal number.

I've revised the route to greatly reduce (cut in half) the long unavoidable stretches through the Navajo Nation in New Mexico. This change also adds in some more fun roads.

For anyone leaving from Denver you have a couple options.

1) Leave super early to meet in Colorado Springs
    2) Meet us along the way in Salida, CO.
    3) Come to Colorado Springs the night before and stay at my house. I'm located on the west side of Colorado Springs, right off of highway 24 (the start of the trip) and I have 3 guest beds plus a couch. I also have garage parking for your bike. If you're really lucky I could even be convinced to cook breakfast in the morning.

My plan is to leave Colorado Springs at 7:00 AM and head south West to Canon City and onto highway 50 to Montrose. Stop in Montrose for a quick lunch before heading south on 550 towards Durango. From Durango it's south to Gallup.

There is a hotel in Gallup we've always stayed at that has a pool and a hot tub, bring a swim suit or some shorts if you want to partake. They also have a decent breakfast in the morning which consist of pouring your own waffles.

Interested? Reply here or send me a PM.

Again, limited to 6 bikes total (5 plus myself). You and your bike must be up for the challenge.

Clovis
    Last edited by Clovis; Wed Apr 16th, 2014 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Dates are set
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"