Thread: Devil's Spine - 2014

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Devil's Spine - 2014

For what it's worth, the 'sand storm' could have happened just about anywhere and of the 3 times I've done the Spine trip (2008, 2012 and 2013) we ran into a wind storm only on 2013.

I feel like I need to point out though that the ONLY reason we even ran into a thunderstorm/sand storm in the LATE afternoon was because SOMEONE in this thread (with a BMW) showed up to a 1800 mile ride with maybe 1000 miles of tread life remaining. I should have just sent him home but no, I wanted him to enjoy this trip which had been in planning for 5 months so we stopped and waited for 3 or 4 hours in Montrose for him to get new tires installed...

Eventually we had to leave him in Montrose with another guy who noticed his fork seal was leaking that morning and they were going to meet us the next morning in Gallup. Guess who got to Gallup 90 minutes late? "SOMEONE"...

Oh, and who could forget when SOMEONE and a group of 4 or so others decided to pass the group leader in the desert and then miss the turn off to Clifton? They got lost in the desert and we waited for them in Clifton for an hour and a half... so we got to start the spine with sunset only an hour away.

So take the complaints with a grain of salt because the people complaining about how hard last year's trip was showed up unprepared.

Remember, sport touring sometimes involves an adventure.

Maybe I should point out the ONLY reason we ran into the 2013 sand storm because was "SOMEONE" (with a BMW) showed to a 1800 mile ride with MAYBE 1000 miles of tread left. The group stopped in Montrose and waited for 3 or 4 hours while he had a new set of tires installed. In fact, eventually we had to leave him there and he was going to meet us in Gallup in the morning. Guess who showed up 90 minutes late the next morn so we stopped on Montrose for 3 or 4 hours while he got a new set of tires installed. That error pretty much did the rest of the trip in. I should have just sent that guy home... I would have if I knew he would bitch and moan about it for the the next year.

With that said, the 2013 trip overall was still fun but my least favorite trip to the Spine. Too many bikes, rider delays, bad weather, ect. I remember starting the climb of the Spine by Clifton with sunset just 45 minutes away because "SOMEONE" decided it would be cool to fly past the group leader and miss the turn off for Clifton and then get lost in the desert... everyone met up at Clifton 90 minutes later.

My point is, take what you read here about the spine with a grain of salt. Sometimes the stars just don't align.

Overall the 2013 trip was my least favorite. The group was too big (12 bikes starting with 10 riding to the spine) - we ran into weather (sand storm on the way there) and a massive rain on the way home by Farmington. I also remember starting at the bottom of the spine as the son was going down because "SOMEONE" decided to fly past the lead bike right before the turn off for Clifton and then got lost.... we waited at least an hour, amybe 9

Touring often involves a bit of adventure.

My point is, take what you read on CSC with a grain of salt.

With that said, trailering down to the Spine is probably the better method.

Driving down there with a trailer is a 10-11 drive from Colorado Springs but it also means missing out on the Colorado roads (specifically 550/Million Dollar Highway). Regardless if you trailer or ride down to the Spine, you really need 4 or 5 days total to spend 2-3 days dedicated to riding the spine and surrounding roads to really get your money's worth.

We may trailer down during the first week or two of June but honestly, if weather is good I would rather do Black Hills twice this year.

The Black Hills route also has a big section of middle of no where riding through Wyoming and some parts of western South Dakota but the destination makes up for it. The Black Hills are just FULL of excellent motorcycle canyon riding and the pavement is perfect everywhere. Plus sites to see like Mt Rushmore and Crazyhorse.
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Re: Devil's Spine - 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    For what it's worth, the 'sand storm' could have happened just about anywhere and of the 3 times I've done the Spine trip (2008, 2012 and 2013) we ran into a wind storm only on 2013.

I feel like I need to point out though that the ONLY reason we even ran into a thunderstorm/sand storm in the LATE afternoon was because SOMEONE in this thread (with a BMW) showed up to a 1800 mile ride with maybe 1000 miles of tread life remaining. I should have just sent him home but no, I wanted him to enjoy this trip which had been in planning for 5 months so we stopped and waited for 3 or 4 hours in Montrose for him to get new tires installed...

Eventually we had to leave him in Montrose with another guy who noticed his fork seal was leaking that morning and they were going to meet us the next morning in Gallup. Guess who got to Gallup 90 minutes late? "SOMEONE"...

Oh, and who could forget when SOMEONE and a group of 4 or so others decided to pass the group leader in the desert and then miss the turn off to Clifton? They got lost in the desert and we waited for them in Clifton for an hour and a half... so we got to start the spine with sunset only an hour away.

So take the complaints with a grain of salt because the people complaining about how hard last year's trip was showed up unprepared.

Remember, sport touring sometimes involves an adventure.

Maybe I should point out the ONLY reason we ran into the 2013 sand storm because was "SOMEONE" (with a BMW) showed to a 1800 mile ride with MAYBE 1000 miles of tread left. The group stopped in Montrose and waited for 3 or 4 hours while he had a new set of tires installed. In fact, eventually we had to leave him there and he was going to meet us in Gallup in the morning. Guess who showed up 90 minutes late the next morn so we stopped on Montrose for 3 or 4 hours while he got a new set of tires installed. That error pretty much did the rest of the trip in. I should have just sent that guy home... I would have if I knew he would bitch and moan about it for the the next year.

With that said, the 2013 trip overall was still fun but my least favorite trip to the Spine. Too many bikes, rider delays, bad weather, ect. I remember starting the climb of the Spine by Clifton with sunset just 45 minutes away because "SOMEONE" decided it would be cool to fly past the group leader and miss the turn off for Clifton and then get lost in the desert... everyone met up at Clifton 90 minutes later.

My point is, take what you read here about the spine with a grain of salt. Sometimes the stars just don't align.

Overall the 2013 trip was my least favorite. The group was too big (12 bikes starting with 10 riding to the spine) - we ran into weather (sand storm on the way there) and a massive rain on the way home by Farmington. I also remember starting at the bottom of the spine as the son was going down because "SOMEONE" decided to fly past the lead bike right before the turn off for Clifton and then got lost.... we waited at least an hour, amybe 9

Touring often involves a bit of adventure.

My point is, take what you read on CSC with a grain of salt.

With that said, trailering down to the Spine is probably the better method.

Driving down there with a trailer is a 10-11 drive from Colorado Springs but it also means missing out on the Colorado roads (specifically 550/Million Dollar Highway). Regardless if you trailer or ride down to the Spine, you really need 4 or 5 days total to spend 2-3 days dedicated to riding the spine and surrounding roads to really get your money's worth.

We may trailer down during the first week or two of June but honestly, if weather is good I would rather do Black Hills twice this year.

The Black Hills route also has a big section of middle of no where riding through Wyoming and some parts of western South Dakota but the destination makes up for it. The Black Hills are just FULL of excellent motorcycle canyon riding and the pavement is perfect everywhere. Plus sites to see like Mt Rushmore and Crazyhorse.
    Why did you tell the same story three times?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."