Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Devil's Spine - 2014

Re: Devil's Spine - 2014

A fall trip is possible. After each previous trip, I've wanted to go back again around late September early October, but something always seems to come up or the weather becomes hit/miss that late in the season.

So best I can give you is a 50/50 maybe as far as a fall trip.

With that said, I do a few other over night trips each year in addition to 500 mile "day trips".

Typically Durango and Taos are the over night ones.

Durango features Black Canyon, lots of passes, million dollar highway - runs just shy of 1000 miles done over a weekend.

Taos is similar, also goes through Durango, million dollar highway and black canyon.

The difference of Taos is we stay in Farmington for the night (vs Durango) and instead of highway 50 to Gunnison and then south to Lake City, South Fork, Wolf Creeke Pass, Pagosa, you run through New Mexico. New Mexico has the Kit Carson National Forest (sometimes referred to as the "Kit Carson National Raceway".

I usually run Toas as a late season trip in October when all of the tourist are gone and Kit Carson is empty. The last 2 trips we've done this in October and had the forest with it's awesome roads and views all to our selves. No cars, no RVs, no campers, no cops, just two bikes ripping through the scenery.

Here's the 2011 and 2012 Taos ride report, it's one of my favorites and a fun way to close out the season.

2011: (more pictures)

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...nd-photo-heavy)

2012:

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...t-Taos-NM-2012
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Currently, there is room for 1 more. If you're interested in going this year, send me a PM!

Less than a week until this year's Spine!

Weather forecast looks good so far. Alpine and Clifton AZ both call for 70-85 degrees and sunny weather. Gallup is even forecasted for sun (as opposed to high winds).

Possible rain on Friday May 9th in some areas.

Update: No truck/trailer now, everyone has decided to ride down.

We're leaving from Colorado Springs on Friday morning (hoping to be on the road by 7am to be in Gallup around 7pm). Currently we have 3 bikes. The two riders from Denver are coming down Thursday evening and staying the night at my house. I have 3 guest beds and garage space for the bikes.

This trip is shaping up to be an epic one!

Figure about 1700 miles round trip so make sure you have enough tread remaining on your tires, oil is changed and bike is ready to go.

Clovis

Clovis, No way I can swing this trip. Should have been paying more attention to the forum and given myself more time to plan. Maybe hwy92 on july 4? Have fun all who go.

T-Minus 1 day!!! That's what I'm talking about!!! Get your motor running...
    Canyon Rippers Unite!

2015 Aprilia Tuono V4R

Colorado spring time weather... F you...

Ya the BMW and I got wet today too!

Where is the ride report? You guys did go, right?

We re-schedueled for some time in June. I just haven't posted about it yet.

Last week we watched the weather forecast deteriorate day by day. By Thursday evening (the eve of the trip) it became obvious that Sunday and Monday would have rain/snow in Colorado so the three of us opted for a different route and destination.

We went to Taos, NM on Friday, rode back on Saturday. Covered a little over 820 miles for me (and 950 or so for Jeff/Fransisco who came down from Denver). Had an incredibly fun time. This is a trip I normally run in October as a "one last horrah" for the riding season but May is also a great time to ride to Taos.

This is the route we took, on the way back we deviated through Highway 9 and Cripple Creek, squeezing out the last bit of good riding before the weather hit Saturday evening.

http://goo.gl/maps/7tKwk

Great roads, clear weather (cool weather, but perfect for heated gear). no traffic, no cops, no accidents... just 2 days of blasting through canyons. We essentially had 400 miles each way of the roads to ourselves. That's the great thing about the Taos trip... it features some incredible roads (like Highway 12 / La Vetta Pass) but it's far enough away from the major population centers, that the roads see very little traffic.

Clovis

A good call on your part. Was worried you guys hit the weather on the way back. Never any fun to ride in the snow. Been there dun that. Are you up for the buttkicker 100,000 I posted at FZ1OA, FZ1 forum?

I saw the post on the FZ1 forums (now 998cc.org). Did you settle on a date?

Found your other post on the FZ01A forums.

I can probably make the June 7th date.

Just went up Squaw pass yesterday. Lots of sand (still) on the Jefferson County side - clean as a whistle on the Clear Creek County side. So basically it's crap for 1/3 and pristine for the other 2/3.

I would add in Mt. Evens, it's always fun and free for motorcycles (as long as you don't "stop" - otherwise it's $3 or so to ride up.

On another note, my trio from Taos and I are doing Black Canyon next weekend depending on weather. Indie pass opens this Friday for memorial day weekend... just checking the weather. Currently the forecast has changed from sunny to cloudy to rain... so we'll see as we get closer to the weekend. That's a trip you might like, 500 miles, 1 day.

Black Canyon! One of my favorites, especially during the FALL. Alas, I'm doing bike maintenance in prep for a family ride to Mt. Rushmore, Black hills area. Daughter and I on the FJR and my wife on her FZ6. Leaving the evening of the 29th and back on the 3rd.
    DO make the Buttkicker if you can. Seems all the enthusiasm from last Sept. has faded.
    After the Buttkicker, my only planned ride is to Yellowstone with a buddy from WY. in July. I'm still eyeing that ride to S. Utah end of June.

Funny you should mention Yellowstone. A buddy of mine (Titus on these forums) is going on the 4th of July weekend. Not sure if I can make a 3 to 4 day ride with a baby daughter... but depending on when you're planning to go in July, you guys should hook up. Good guy, has a VFR. Rode with him on last year's spine trip and also went to Moab.

I wish I had kept the FZ6 for my wife.. that was originally her bike afterall. Sold it 2 years ago after I bought the FJR.

Now, sadly I suspect the FJR is about to be totaled out from an accident I had 2 years ago... the bike has seen 20,000+ miles since the accident but the shop's estimate is coming in at $8500... for a 2006 FJR. Unless the insurance company lets me take replacement items off their list (they want to replace everything that has so much as a scratch on it... come on, it's a 8 year old bike, it's OK if it has some wear!) they'll likely total it since $8500 exceeds the cash value.

I'm trailering the FZ and FJR to Wheatland on the 12th and leaving on the 13th. 1st day we head to Little BigHorn battlefield and back down to a lodge in the Big Horn mtns.. 2nd day to the E. entrance and make our way N, then NE. over Beartooth and spend the night in Red lodge. 3rd day back over Beartooth and head towards Mammoth hot springs and around the Grand Loop down to Jackson. We've a acquaintance there that owns a big ranch that we'll stay at. 4th day, back into the park heading N. and NE till we come back down the Dead Indian Hwy. into Cody. 5th day back to Wheatland.

$8500 will buy a nicely modded 09. Lot's on the FJr forum. for right around there. See if you can't buy it back after the total it.

Fz6 is a great little bike. Fit's the wife really well, once I lowered it 1/2 inch.

Would love to this next year!! Anybody down for a 5 day ride 1st week of July?

I'm open to that. Planning to take vacation the first week of july 2015. Let's get clovis (aka IM) in on this one.
    Canyon Rippers Unite!

2015 Aprilia Tuono V4R

Not to be a Debbie-downer, but have you guys thought about weather in July? Average high is 99°!

We've been discussing when to do this trip. Right now I'm thinking late may or sometime in June.

Clifton will have the highest temps of everywhere we would go.

The window begins to open late April through May but snow can still show up (as happened on the 2014 trip).

The 2015 trip will hopefully be at least 4 days, possibly 5.

In 2015 I would also like to do a return trip to the Black Hills and if possible a week long trip to Boise and back.

So it would 99-110 for one day?

Well if that doesn't work out then perhaps a long in state trip is in order.

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    We've been discussing when to do this trip. Right now I'm thinking late may or sometime in June.

Clifton will have the highest temps of everywhere we would go.

The window begins to open late April through May but snow can still show up (as happened on the 2014 trip).

The 2015 trip will hopefully be at least 4 days, possibly 5.

In 2015 I would also like to do a return trip to the Black Hills and if possible a week long trip to Boise and back.
    Well let's decide on a date to ride the spine. I'm the process of setting vaction dates for 2015. So far I'm thinking June 26th through July 5th or July 3rd through July 12th 2015. And for sure Dec 24th through Jan 2nd 2016. I could take 4 or 5 days to do the spine in April or May just need to decide the dates soon. Look forward to riding with you guys!
    Canyon Rippers Unite!

2015 Aprilia Tuono V4R

Quote Originally Posted by One-ops View Post
    Well if that doesn't work out then perhaps a long in state trip is in order.
    I'd totally be up for this! I'm going to pass on the spine though, I'll only do that again if I drive the bike there in the back of a truck.

We could trailer down to somewhere south for that! If not yeah ton of in state stuff I want to see.
    Got a legit street bike now so I want to ride. Lol like right now.

What kind of bike? Pics? You need to make a post when you do stuff like this!!!

I'm good with loading the bikes and driving them down there.