Thread: New Dirt Rider! Looking for people to ride with.

New Dirt Rider! Looking for people to ride with.

Well after years of talking about it, I am happy to say I am finally going to get dirty.

Picked up this 02 CR250R fully set up for trails. Heavier flywheel weight, tuned for low end power. Very excited.

Problem is I don't really know a whole lot of people that ride dirt. And I have no idea where to ride.

Would love to join up with anyone heading out to ride trails. I also want to try the MX track but I want to go with someone and get some pointers my first time.

PM me if you want to ride!

And sorry bueller, I didn't want an orange grenade no matter how tasty the koolaid is...

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPP

Re: New Dirt Rider! Looking for people to ride with.

My son and I have been going out almost every nice weekend. I have been spending a good deal of time out at IMI riding on their many tracks. If you are not used to riding dirt, IMI has a bunch of tracks for differing levels of rider. It would get you used to riding that sexy new beast you purchased.

We also go up into the Mts by 7 and Peak to Peak, also up Left Hand. It is really nice up in those areas with some fun trails. You have to have a yearly sticker for your bike if you wanna ride there though.

PM me if you wanna meet up with us the next time we go out.

Quote Originally Posted by j0ker View Post
    My son and I have been going out almost every nice weekend. I have been spending a good deal of time out at IMI riding on their many tracks. If you are not used to riding dirt, IMI has a bunch of tracks for differing levels of rider. It would get you used to riding that sexy new beast you purchased.

We also go up into the Mts by 7 and Peak to Peak, also up Left Hand. It is really nice up in those areas with some fun trails. You have to have a yearly sticker for your bike if you wanna ride there though.

PM me if you wanna meet up with us the next time we go out.

I thought IMI just had the motocross tracks. I might head up there Friday and just ride around and check things out.

I will be going this week to get the sticker for the year. Nice part is most motorcycle shops sell the sticker.

PM will be coming your way once I get my gear situation figured out. Thanks!

IMI has motorcross, an oval track and then a go-kart / street bike track.

Pretty cool place really!

Berthoud is another good place to get your feet wet in offroad riding. As you can see below there is a ton of open riding west of the MX track that you can ride at any pace you want. I dont ride dirt anymore so I cant help with that part but I can suggest areas. Last I heard it was closed down but Pueblo had a lot of trails south and east of the roadrace track.

That looks like a total blast. I might dabble in a few hare scrambles as well. Thanks for the info.

I'll be hitting a local track soon to see if I can still ride dirt with my newly installed mechanical knee. I used to ride Watkins a lot and hear they will be reopening soon. I ride the tracks on weekdays only, usually Mon, Tues. or Wed.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by vort3xr6 View Post
    That looks like a total blast. I might dabble in a few hare scrambles as well. Thanks for the info.
    Just FYI the hare scrambles is a winter activity, the 2014 championship race was yesterday. You do have to be flexible, every race has a snow date and sometimes you have a couple snow dates...

Probably best you don't start on an expert bike anyway!

I won't be racing this year so I hope to be doing more trail riding and camping. Probably hit Rampart for some spring riding as soon as it opens up.
    I don't ride MX anymore, and if your suspension has been set up for trail riding it might be a bit soft for the tracks. The riding @ Berthoud is pretty fun but like Paul mentioned HS series is a winter thing and can be a bit hard on the body, especially my old ass.

BTW not all of 'em are orange or grenades

Last edited by Bueller; Mon Apr 7th, 2014 at 08:39 PM.

Lol love it. Let me know if I can join you next time you head up! In reality I couldn't afford the Austrian premium prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Probably best you don't start on an expert bike anyway!

I won't be racing this year so I hope to be doing more trail riding and camping. Probably hit Rampart for some spring riding as soon as it opens up.
    I don't ride MX anymore, and if your suspension has been set up for trail riding it might be a bit soft for the tracks. The riding @ Berthoud is pretty fun but like Paul mentioned HS series is a winter thing and can be a bit hard on the body, especially my old ass.

BTW not all of 'em are orange or grenades
    Some a dem pics look vintage. Where's the Dalmatian suit?

After two years of sucking shit, I'm finally back at home full-time with my schedule completely under my control, again. We're planning on every other weekend, but I'm sick to death of everything from here to Moab. I wanna do four or five day trips to somewhere new!! What's a brotha to do?
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Gold Member

If you want to make the trip grand junction has some serious trail riding. I'm hoping to make a trip there this summer if I get the time. But being new I don't think you would want to dive into that.

The beat part about rising dirt is finding places to ride. Going in search of those trails. Don't be lame and just ride the dirt roads. Find the single tracks and even carve your own. Remember its a dirt bike..... dirt bikes dont need no stupid roads.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    If you want to make the trip grand junction has some serious trail riding. I'm hoping to make a trip there this summer if I get the time. But being new I don't think you would want to dive into that.
    I realize a lot of people love Grand Junction, but it's just a big dust bowl to me. If I drive all the way to G.J. I'm gonna keep going to Moab. Hells Revenge, Behind the Rocks, and my favorite the Poisen Spider trails. But like I said, I'm sick of 'em! Need something new. A ten day trip traveling around hitting new areas would be cool, but where would you go to do that?

The beat part about rising dirt is finding places to ride. Going in search of those trails. Don't be lame and just ride the dirt roads. Find the single tracks and even carve your own. Remember its a dirt bike..... dirt bikes dont need no stupid roads.
    AMEN! There's nothing worse than loading everything up to go out with someone new and they take you to a dirt road. The license plate on my bike is for getting to the bar!!
    Kim & Dean

Gold Member

I just got my first taste in ridge riding last summer and I'm hooked. That's why I want to go. Guess the dust doesn't bother me being I grew up in the desert where its just an everyday thing.

Ten days? Not really enough time to actually travel all over but my dream is to someday head to a tropical island and spend a week on a beach in a tent just riding.

You know you could head a little further west to nv and enjoy the land here. We have some truly amazing riding.
    Last edited by #1Townie; Tue Apr 8th, 2014 at 08:57 AM.

I just got my first taste in ridge riding last summer and I'm hooked. That's why I want to go. Guess the dust doesn't bother me being I grew up in the desert where its just an everyday thing.

Ten days? Not really enough time to actually travel all over but my dream is to someday head to a tropical island and spend a week on a beach in a tent just riding.

You know you could head a little further west to nv and enjoy the land here. We have some truly amazing riding.
    When did you move to NV and where? I went to school in Vegas and met Kim, waaaaaaay back in 1987!

...and, the riding kind of sucks out there, too. Desert doesn't do it for me at all! It's like when you ride the canyons and everyone parks it in the turns, but when you hit the freeway, everyone opens it up to 180! Any monkey can hold the throttle wide open!

Although, there are mountains right outside Vegas. I wonder if they're worth a shit. Maybe we should go see Kim's brother. He's pretty much an open desert guy, though.
    Kim & Dean

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    When did you move to NV and where? I went to school in Vegas and met Kim, waaaaaaay back in 1987!

...and, the riding kind of sucks out there, too. Desert doesn't do it for me at all! It's like when you ride the canyons and everyone parks it in the turns, but when you hit the freeway, everyone opens it up to 180! Any monkey can hold the throttle wide open!

Although, there are mountains right outside Vegas. I wonder if they're worth a shit. Maybe we should go see Kim's brother. He's pretty much an open desert guy, though.

Na man northern. South of reno. And its all kinds of riding here. Tons of single track. But yeah its desert. Its just so open that you rarely see anyone else. I love riding the washouts. People from Cali are always coming here to ride.

I'm originally from nv. Moved back a couple years ago.

I go to IMI quite a bit since I live about 10 mins away, not big into motocross but I like to go out on the open trails area and romp around and such. I also have ridden a bit in the mountains ( Left Hand Canyon). I just started riding dirt last oct so if you are in the area of IMI let me know I will come out.
    -Eugene-

2007 black hayabusa touring beast
    2003 KTM 525sx/exc hybrid
    2002 black and blue hayabusa- (SOLD)
    2000 ZX7R STREETFIGHTER-(SOLD)

Na man northern. South of reno. And its all kinds of riding here. Tons of single track. But yeah its desert. Its just so open that you rarely see anyone else. I love riding the washouts. People from Cali are always coming here to ride.

I'm originally from nv. Moved back a couple years ago.
    Cool!! Kim was born in Reno... ...under a Black-Jack table... Just kidding, but she was really born in Reno.

Dude #1: Where ya headin'?

Dude #2: Lake Tahoe! How 'bout you?

Dude #1: Reno!

Dude#2: Ah, okay. See ya later, then...
    Kim & Dean

Gold Member

Yeah tahoe is right around the corner. I always tell people you have never taken a ride until you take one around tahoe. So amazing.