Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Video recording legalities

Video recording legalities

My old neighbors/friends moved out of their house next to us and the new ones have been a real "treat". He started parking in front of our house instead of his own and then asked me to move my car because it was in his "usual parking spot". Its been fun to say the least.

Either way. I was wondering what anyone knew about laws that apply to video recording stuff. I know the basics but with the new quad copter stuff and their ability to record remotely, I was wondering where the line is drawn. I dont think I would have a huge problem with it but the side of my house that hes flying it on has our master bathroom. As in, I got out of the shower the other day and saw it 10 feet from my window.

I can only imagine that laws (regarding quad copters) will at least be looked at with these things but am wondering if anyone knows an specifics.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Ezzzzy1; Sun Apr 13th, 2014 at 09:24 PM.
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

Re: Video recording legalities

Those quadcopters are fragile, and sometimes they well.. they break, yanno.. just saying. For instance accidentally coming into contact with a weedwacker or pruning staff, baseball bat... stuff like that.

"Oh, sorry dude, I had earplugs on doing my yard work and didn't hear/see your copter. Ahh.. you should be able to glue it back together"
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

yeah, an maybe that car could get some water in the gas tank accidently

If he's parking on a public street, it's ok to park in front of your house. Not the friendliest thing, but I don't think he's breaking any laws.

Privacy laws at home are generally only applicable if there's a reasonable expectation of privacy, i.e. you have the curtains drawn when getting out of the shower. If the curtains are open and you're junk is in plain view, you give up the right to privacy.

Either way, your new neighbor sounds like a douchecanoe.

Quote Originally Posted by birchyboy View Post
    If he's parking on a public street, it's ok to park in front of your house. Not the friendliest thing, but I don't think he's breaking any laws.

Privacy laws at home are generally only applicable if there's a reasonable expectation of privacy, i.e. you have the curtains drawn when getting out of the shower. If the curtains are open and you're junk is in plain view, you give up the right to privacy.

He can park in front of your house, as long as he's not within 5ft of a driveway or fire hydrant. And he has to be closer than 12" to the curb, and parked with the flow of traffic. His car also needs to be in park or in gear, with the E-brake applied. And most cities require current registration when parked.

As far as the video cameras go. As long as his equipment is in a place it is legally allowed to be in, he can tape anything he wants. If he has a copter thing, it cannot come onto your property to film, and that includes the airspace above your property up to a certain height that his copter probably can't hit anyway, and it's so high he wouldn't see anything or get an angle to see anything. So, if the camera crosses onto your property, photograph it and call the cops. They'll warn him that it's Trespassing, and if he does it again charges can be pressed.

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Those quadcopters are fragile, and sometimes they well.. they break, yanno.. just saying. For instance accidentally coming into contact with a weedwacker or pruning staff, baseball bat... stuff like that.

"Oh, sorry dude, I had earplugs on doing my yard work and didn't hear/see your copter. Ahh.. you should be able to glue it back together"
    It would be bad ass to jump out of a bush and beat the shit out of it with a baseball bat!

I honestly couldnt imagine being as stupid as this guy is. Right now hes parked at the bottom of his driveway blocking off the sidewalk with the ass end of his car in the street. I get that he can park in front of our house but you would think that when I said to him "hey man, if its cool we like to leave that spot open for when our guests come over" that he might have given a shit about it and parked in front of his own house.

Could I shoot it with a BB gun if its in/on my property?

He is. Here is the opening line of the email I received from him because I started parking my car in the spot in front of my house.

"The last few days you have been parking on the street which inhibits my ability to park my SUV in my usual spot."

He is honestly redefining what I thought a stupid human was....

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    He can park in front of your house, as long as he's not within 5ft of a driveway or fire hydrant. And he has to be closer than 12" to the curb, and parked with the flow of traffic. His car also needs to be in park or in gear, with the E-brake applied. And most cities require current registration when parked.

As far as the video cameras go. As long as his equipment is in a place it is legally allowed to be in, he can tape anything he wants. If he has a copter thing, it cannot come onto your property to film, and that includes the airspace above your property up to a certain height that his copter probably can't hit anyway, and it's so high he wouldn't see anything or get an angle to see anything. So, if the camera crosses onto your property, photograph it and call the cops. They'll warn him that it's Trespassing, and if he does it again charges can be pressed.
    Can you just come up here in your car and tell this guy to knock all this shit off?

I think our street design is pretty idiotic but it is pretty common. There's the curb by the road, then 2-3' of grass, then the sidewalk, then more grass. The sidewalk cuts across the driveway so some people's cars will interrupt the flow of the sidewalk.

We are lucky enough to have courteous neighbors. Most everyone parks in front of their own house unless there's a party or something. My camper extends in front of my neighbors lawn but not into their driveway area. I only park it at the house a day or two at a time and they have never complained.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzzzy1 View Post
    Can you just come up here in your car and tell this guy to knock all this shit off?
    I wouldn't mind, let's round up the bike crew and start asking him questions and see what he does hahaha. He seems like a total doucher. I'd keep parking in the parking spot, or tell him to lay off because you can park where ever you want. It's in front of your house, so you'd appreciate it if he'd let YOU have the spot in front of YOUR house...
    06 GSXR 750

Tires are fragile too. I've gotten more than a couple nails in mine over the years. It sucked.

If his car is blocking the sidewalk, even if it's in his driveway, it's likely against the law. Our Municipal Code prevents that. Call your Police Department's Parking Division, and tell them your Handicapped son got trapped the other day and was forced to go into the street because of his SUV blocking the sidewalk.

Sorry, I meant your Handicapable son. That's right, I went there.

Gold Member

Doesn't those remotes only work off a small variance of frequencies?

In other words how hard would it be to get your hands on a remote that would also operate it and let you crash it?

And dafuq with the recording?

Senior Member Moderator

This is the best I could find on the internet
    brickhousesecurity.com/category/hidden+cameras/hidden+spy+camera+laws.do
    Admin Edit: We were asked to remove the link due to legal reasons. You're going to have to copy and paste the URL into your browser address bar. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Is it Legal to Record Video with a Hidden Camera or "Nanny Cam" in Your Home?

Generally speaking, it's legal in the United States to record surveillance video with a hidden camera in your home without the consent of the person you're recording. That's why the use of nanny cams is becoming increasingly common among parents and guardians who work outside their homes during the day. But before you place a hidden camera or nanny cam in your home, it's a good idea to research the laws in your state. For an extra measure of security, you may also want to speak to an attorney about the specific ways you plan to use your camera. And bear in mind that audio recording and video recording are two entirely different topics. Audio recording is discussed separately below. In most states, it's illegal to record hidden camera video in areas where your subjects have a reasonable expectation of privacy. In your home, these areas might include bathrooms and bedrooms (if your subject lives with you — as in the case of a live-in nanny).

Not every state expressly bans the use of hidden cameras in places where a subject might have a reasonable expectation of privacy. But that doesn't mean you should assume it's legal — or morally acceptable — to record a subject without his or her consent in any private area.

Also remember that it's illegal in the United States to record video (or audio) with the express purpose of blackmail or other "malicious intent." Even if you follow all other laws governing covert surveillance in your state, please keep in mind that your rights are waived if you engage in criminal behavior.

Is it Legal to Record with a Hidden Camera in Public Areas Outside Your Home?

Outside the home, similar laws apply. It's generally legal to record surveillance video in public places — inside retail stores, restaurants or other places of business,
    for example. It's also legal to record covert video outdoors in parks, shopping malls, city streets or public squares.

"Reasonable expectation of privacy" guidelines apply to the placement of hidden cameras in public places as well. For example, it's illegal to record covert video in hotel rooms, restrooms, changing rooms, locker rooms and other "private" areas.
    Last edited by Spiderman; Sat Jul 19th, 2014 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Removed Link

I wonder if there's a way to charge him with "peeping tom" by taking a photo of the copter from your bath/bedroom window?
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by Ph03niX View Post
    I wouldn't mind, let's round up the bike crew and start asking him questions and see what he does hahaha. He seems like a total doucher. I'd keep parking in the parking spot, or tell him to lay off because you can park where ever you want. It's in front of your house, so you'd appreciate it if he'd let YOU have the spot in front of YOUR house...

Bike night at my house next week!

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    Doesn't those remotes only work off a small variance of frequencies? In other words how hard would it be to get your hands on a remote that would also operate it and let you crash it?

I can totally figure out what frequency hes running on! I bought a frequency reader last year for Mo-Door! Townie.... I never thought I would say this. But. Um. I LOVE YOU!

Bike night at my house next week!

I can totally figure out what frequency hes running on! I bought a frequency reader last year for Mo-Door! Townie.... I never thought I would say this. But. Um. I LOVE YOU!
    Wow. Pretty soon pigs will start flying!

Wow. Pretty soon pigs will start flying!
    You gotta give credit where credit is due!

Tell me thats not a brilliant idea... Find the frequency and ram it into the ground!

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Tell me thats not a brilliant idea... Find the frequency and ram it into the ground!
    Or wait until it's in his house, then start making it fly into walls.

Privacy laws for drones are still somewhat unclear, but IIRC the basic rule of thumb is this: If you have reasonable expectation of privacy, he can't be there with it. If he's filming your house from the street or his own home where he could see the same thing anyway, you can't do much about it. If he's actively flying a drone up next to your window where you do expect privacy, you might be able to legally do something about it. Not sure whether it'd be criminal or if you would have to file a civil suit, though the latter has a lower bar for success.

As for parking, well, finders keepers. It's a public street, and whoever gets there first wins. Neither of you can stake claim to that spot, however that's what driveways are for - your very own little piece of concrete parking paradise.

This guy sounds like an ass, but be careful. Make sure you act above board completely should this escalate somehow. Neighbor disputes can get very ugly, and a lot of the time both sides will end up crossing the line somewhere. Document everything (including drone sightings and whether it's over your fence line, where it's operating, whether the camera appears to be aimed at you, time, etc) but don't retaliate if you hope to have any kind of recourse. Crashing a drone you don't own out of spite is illegal, and could get you in more trouble than his little spy op will get him into.

Play smarter, not tougher.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Sounds like this dude fancies you. Make a cpl o f mimosas and ask what really are his intentions towards you...

He will have a fun time trying to prove you crashed his drone while he was filming you.

If I was the cop called on that, I'd tell him too bad. And that he wouldn't have crashed it if he wasn't flying it around trying to film people.

If he's flying it on your property but you don't want to get the police involved, maybe that'd be a good time to water the leaves on your tree with a high pressure hose. And it'd suck if you missed and took out his spy drone.

Lastly, let's just have a bike night. Rules are no mufflers, and bikes must be parked in front of his house.

If you were curious, most of the new RC radio systems are using the 2.4GHz ISM band. They are mostly using FHSS or DSSS with the frequency range being 2.4 to 2.48 GHz.
    Blair
    2000 GSX750F, 2003 YZ450F, 2004 GSXR750, 2006 ZX-14
    2013 CBR500R, 2016 YZF-R6 - MRA #760

Quote Originally Posted by mdub View Post
    Sounds like this dude fancies you. Make a cpl o f mimosas and ask what really are his intentions towards you...
    now yer talkin, don't forget to pump him for neighbor pics...

I agree with the level headed approach. I just hate stuff like this because it seems like he mindlessly does things that are starting to drive me nuts. But yeah, im not trying to egg this on or get into trouble.

It looks like most of the copters opperate on the 2.4 GHz frequency, making it a little harder than originally thought. Its not the old skool transmission with the crystals. Its a paired system

So lets keep the ideas coming!

I was serious when I was wondering if I could shoot it down if its over my property? BB gun, sling shot etc

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    Doesn't those remotes only work off a small variance of frequencies?

In other words how hard would it be to get your hands on a remote that would also operate it and let you crash it?

Most of my planes and helis are spread spectrum (2.4GHz). All my 2.4 receivers use two antenna and two frequencies. Without really sophisticated equipment, you can't interfere with modern RC recievers.

Make a wad of fishing line and toss it out the window.

EDIT: I see you figured that out as I was posting this
    Last edited by Kim-n-Dean; Mon Apr 14th, 2014 at 11:06 AM.
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M