Thread: Let's talk security systems

Let's talk security systems

Sooooo
    After my car was broken into the night of 4/11 - 4/12, I'm looking into a security system for the house. Apparently somebody is watching the neighborhood because several houses have been broken into recently when the owner is gone for under 10 minutes.

So we're looking for something that may or may not have monitoring, but that really doesn't bother us much. Our main requirements are:
    -Ability to send out a signal to a cell phone when the motion detectors are triggered
    -Ability to have door sensors in place
    -Live video monitoring from afar/DVR system

We don't have a home phone, so it would need to be an internet based system. Wifi definitely preferred.
    Also, if the sensors are pet-resistant, that would be great too as we have a dog (useless as a guard dog).

If you have any ideas or suggestions, please let them fly!
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

Re: Let's talk security systems

Can't help you with security systems, I simply don't know.

However, I assume you're into cars and bikes as much as most people here, and can tell the difference between a Tahoe and an Expedition. Get to know what your neighbors drive, and where they park. Maybe it's the cop in me, maybe it's the car enthusiast, but of the 30 or so houses on my street, I know what every single one of my neighbors drive, and where they park. Every time I leave or come home, I keep an eye out for a car that just doesn't fit. Just as a Bentley Continental GT would be out of place in my neighborhood, so would a faded blue, rusted, hubcaps missing 1990 Lumina. I don't hesitate to call the Sheriff's Office on suspicious vehicles, and suspicious persons. The cops WILL respond, and even if they don't find anyone or can't do anything, it's a presence, and criminals will beat feet to GTFO. Just make sure you give the dispatcher a reason for the vehicle or person to be suspicious, and really explain it. The guy was looking into cars, or hiding his face when you drove by him, constantly looking over his shoulder, etc. That stuff gives Officers reasonable suspicion for a detention, and will ensure a response, but it needs to be explained. And if you're really paranoid, photograph the license plate and VIN, and hold onto it for a couple weeks.

Remember er cops hate criminals more than you ever will. I know the odds of catching one over a cold burglary call without serial numbers is slim. Cops crave suspicious people/vehicle calls, because if you thought it was suspicious, it's highly likely it is. Cops catch more criminals through this and traffic stops than anything else.

Which brings up two more points. First, call in a speeders complaint on your street every 6 months or year. My city's traffic division had a large whiteboard for these, and traffic cops actively rotated through them. Don't speed you won't get stopped, and criminals will see the cop car and GTFO.

Lastly, record fucking serial numbers. Guns(!!!), stereos, TV's, iPods, laptops, and expensive hand tools (Drills, saws, etc). Burglars pawn their stolen stuff. Pawn shops record serial numbers, and report them to the Police. When cops enter a serial number into a report, it'll flag that the item was pawned. You get the item back, chances of catching criminal to up to 98% from 4%.
    Last edited by Aaron; Mon Apr 14th, 2014 at 12:08 AM.

That's the problem Aaron, there haven't been any out of place vehicles in my neighborhood, so I truly believe that it's one of the neighbors doing this crap.

And that almost wouldn't surprise me. They say 82% of burglaries are done by someone you know. Unfortunately my entire post above isn't very helpful in that sense. There was an old guy in one of the rougher areas of Pueblo that had a sign on his front yard, it said "Come in my house, I'll make your day." Then it had an animated picture of a guy with a gun standing above a bleeding guy.

I think a security system isn't a bad idea in your case, but I've got no idea on who to start with. Maybe just start making calls. In the other thread someone mentioned a locally owned business that they were happy with.

Yeah, check the other thread for some local contacts. As for the research I did online, I like this company: http://www.frontpointsecurity.com/
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Cool thanks guys.

Bit late I know... We were having some minor issues in our neighborhood, I had a car window smashed and another car broken into, in my driveway. So I installed cameras, made the ones out front a little obvious so people know they are being recorded. Have not had another problem since. And its great to see who is at the front door, so I know if I want to answer it or not. I also get a lot of packages delivered to the doorstep and its piece of mind to know that they are being recorded.
    Think I paid about $200 for 4 high quality cameras and a dvr, watchable online. The only downside is I had to run cables around the house for the cameras.
    2000 Honda RC51

Which system did you get?

I got it about a year ago, not sure you can get the same exact one anymore, but there are tons of options out there.
    The one I got was
    Swann SWDVK-440004 Professional Security System - 4-Channel H.264 D1 DVR, 500GB SATA, 4x 600 TVL Cameras, CCD Sensor, 6.0mm Lens, 65ft Night Vision, HDMI, USB, eSATA, Weatherproof http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?EdpNo=3988370

I paid right on 300 after a rebate on it.
    2000 Honda RC51

Awesome thanks Darren!

I like the camera system but I want to see a live feed when I'm away from home.
    John
    KTM Duke 690