Thread: Does your hot water smell fishy?

Does your hot water smell fishy?

In the last few weeks our hot water smells kind of fishy. You can really smell it in the shower when you first turn on just the hot water. Our water heater isn't that old and I've flushed it a few times over the years and always get a lot of sediment. Sometimes it's a light green, other times it's pure white and big pieces. What gives? Is it an Aurora thing? Gonna flush it again tomorrow and see what comes out.

...and please refrain from calling it a 'hot water heater'... (that was for Dave)
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Re: Does your hot water smell fishy?

No fishiness here a few miles north of you.

Supposebly, for all intensive purposes if you have no depth of perception it can make it hard to change your light bulbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Supposebly, for all intensive purposes if you have no depth of perception it can make it hard to change your light bulbs.
    I've been thinking about that one. Since "bulb" is a description of shape. Bulb does not only apply to the plant world, as you say. Some lamps are shaped like a bulb, therefore, light bulb is correct in those situations.
    Kim & Dean

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Sounds like a mute point if you ask me.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    Sounds like a mute point if you ask me.
    Don't you mean moot?
    Kim & Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    Don't you mean moot?
    He could care less...
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Irregardless of how little he cares.

What temperature are you running. Some people claim that you should run the water heater at 140F to prevent stuff from growing in there. That is a great temperature for the dishwasher and clothes washer, but it is too hot for faucets and showers due to scald hazard so you then need a mixing valve to bring the temperature down to those outlets.

If everyone in the household is mature enough to adjust the temp to avoid burning themselves, then personally, I would just crank up the water heater to 130-140F and see if it goes away. I think code states that the max temp from a faucet is something like 115 or 120.

Quote Originally Posted by jlr View Post
    What temperature are you running. Some people claim that you should run the water heater at 140F to prevent stuff from growing in there. That is a great temperature for the dishwasher and clothes washer, but it is too hot for faucets and showers due to scald hazard so you then need a mixing valve to bring the temperature down to those outlets.

If everyone in the household is mature enough to adjust the temp to avoid burning themselves, then personally, I would just crank up the water heater to 130-140F and see if it goes away. I think code states that the max temp from a faucet is something like 115 or 120.
    We've been in this house for over seventeen years and two water heaters. This smell has happened before, but very faint and for a very short time. I always figured it was Aurora since it happened on both water heaters.

Yeah, that's not comforting thinking something could be growing. I've always run my heater at a minimum of 140f. Great for the items you mentioned and great for filling our jacuzzi tub, which we never use anymore because we finally bought an outdoor tub about a year ago.

I've smelled lots of different smells coming from hot water all my life. Hotels, other homes, etc. Growing up a lot of people had wells and I'm very aware of stinky water. Never thought about some live-stock. I doubt that's it, but I'm cranking my heater all the way up for several hours to "sterilize", just in case.
    Kim & Dean

The common wisdom is that 140F is hot enough to prevent anything from growing - can't hurt to crank it for a bit, just be careful if you use the faucets. It doesn't sound like that is the explanation if you've already been running it up that high.

The only other thing I can think of, is I know they have labs that will analyze your water, but all the home test kits I know of test for something specific, e.g. lead. I'm not sure if there are any that tell you if there is "anything bad" in the water. If there is such a thing, might be worth getting it tested. As I'm typing this, I'm wondering if your water dept will test it if you ask?

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jlr View Post
    The common wisdom is that 140F is hot enough to prevent anything from growing - can't hurt to crank it for a bit, just be careful if you use the faucets. It doesn't sound like that is the explanation if you've already been running it up that high.

The only other thing I can think of, is I know they have labs that will analyze your water, but all the home test kits I know of test for something specific, e.g. lead. I'm not sure if there are any that tell you if there is "anything bad" in the water. If there is such a thing, might be worth getting it tested. As I'm typing this, I'm wondering if your water dept will test it if you ask?
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Dean - we have had smelly water at our office in centennial and our water-cooler/coffee vendor said the city of centennial has had issues - I don't know where centennial gets their water but wouldnt surprise me ifit routes through aurora.

No smelly water (hot or not) on the west side. Now get those gold fish outta the tank, Dean!
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    No smelly water (hot or not) on the west side. Now get those gold fish outta the tank, Dean!
    Now you tell me!
    Kim & Dean

Aurora water will come and test your water free. We had an odor on the cold side a couple years ago and they came out the same day. Did some pH testing, etc. they chalked it up to some water main work they were doing the same day.