Thread: stolen license plate

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

stolen license plate

hope this kind of belongs..I'm mostly wondering how often this happens?
    A couple days ago when I put my bikes in the garage, I noticed the plate was off one of my bikes. I've hardly ridden it in the last few months besides to work once (which is a fenced in lot accessible by card only, my manager borrowed it to go out to eat but that's it), and to the liquor store which I was only in for 5 minutes. Prior to that, I know I had my plate on because I was taking pictures. It's only been stored in storage which is obviously locked, my back patio which is also fenced in and out of visibility, and in the garage which is closed. I'm in complete disbelief it happened.
    I really hope none of my coworkers are dumb enough to take it off as some sort of joke or something, seems like an extremely serious offense, yea? I know a lot of co-workers were oogling it and asking to ride it or offering me low ball buying prices, but I would really hope nobody would take it to the extreme of ripping off the plate. I'm going to lose my marbles if I do find it laying around at work say in my mailbox or something. I hate that I have to file a police report, but it seems completely ignorant if I don't. I imagine whoever has it must be going 140MPH through the tolls on 470 or something....

I'm waiting to hear back from police to file a report. I can only imagine that if it was stolen, the people who do that have nothing anywhere near legal plans. If a valid license plate is found in the road, do they usually try to find its source?

Present: 2006 GSXR 750 (black/yellow), 2006 Yamaha R6r (blue)
    Sold: 2011 Ninja 250 (green/black), 2007 R6s (blue)

Re: stolen license plate

Go to the dmv. There is a form for lost or stolen license plates.

The police probly wont waste any time on this.

Make sure you have theft coverage in case it's a bike next time

It's pretty common for a plate to fall off, but if you were taking pictures and never rode it after, that sucks. First time I've heard of someone only taking a plate
    Last edited by tecknojoe; Fri Apr 25th, 2014 at 01:57 PM.

i find it really hard to believe that it would have fallen off. like i said, it hasn't really been ridden much since I picked it up late in the fall. i also made a point to buy nylon locking nuts. maybe i can get a torx security screw this time or something

The police will take a report, and they'll put out a stolen locate on the plate, but that's about it. You'll probably never see it again to be perfectly honest.

I wouldnt be at all surprised if it was stolen, it's extremely common. Criminals will put the plate on a stolen bike, or put it on a bike they can't register.

Some thieves steal it for the registration tag. Simple enough to call the DMV and them inactivate that plate as mentioned. I once sold a car and left the plates on, so I called the DMV the next morning and filled out a form and it was done.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Yea, I filed a report with the local PD and did the form/got new plates at the DMV. Was only like $6.17 for replacement plate which I was amazed by. Still sucked dealing with the hassle though. If it was stolen, I hope it comes back to bite them. I'm sure the penalty for being pulled over with stolen/invalid plates is very stiff. They would probably run though