hope this kind of belongs..I'm mostly wondering how often this happens?
A couple days ago when I put my bikes in the garage, I noticed the plate was off one of my bikes. I've hardly ridden it in the last few months besides to work once (which is a fenced in lot accessible by card only, my manager borrowed it to go out to eat but that's it), and to the liquor store which I was only in for 5 minutes. Prior to that, I know I had my plate on because I was taking pictures. It's only been stored in storage which is obviously locked, my back patio which is also fenced in and out of visibility, and in the garage which is closed. I'm in complete disbelief it happened.
I really hope none of my coworkers are dumb enough to take it off as some sort of joke or something, seems like an extremely serious offense, yea? I know a lot of co-workers were oogling it and asking to ride it or offering me low ball buying prices, but I would really hope nobody would take it to the extreme of ripping off the plate. I'm going to lose my marbles if I do find it laying around at work say in my mailbox or something. I hate that I have to file a police report, but it seems completely ignorant if I don't. I imagine whoever has it must be going 140MPH through the tolls on 470 or something....

I'm waiting to hear back from police to file a report. I can only imagine that if it was stolen, the people who do that have nothing anywhere near legal plans. If a valid license plate is found in the road, do they usually try to find its source?