Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halfway close call on I25 last summer

Halfway close call on I25 last summer

Summer of 2013, northbound I25 just north of Denver, some jackbutt on a 1st gen SV650S decides he's going to share my lane. I had no idea he was there until he flew past me, and then proceeded to pass traffic on the shoulder. It's idiots like this who give us a bad name. If you know this cat, why not share his name and date of birth, I'm sure I can find a Trooper who'd like to give him a party invitation.

Re: Halfway close call on I25 last summer

Do you really expect someone to be a bitch snitch? You sound like a cop.
    I see people in cages do the absolute stupidest shit imaginable, do they give the car drivng people a bad name? Should I call you with their plates?

No, I don't. And it probably wouldn't even matter given that it was nearly a year ago.

Well ya, it does. What reputation do Asians have for driving? Handicap people? Subaru drivers? The difference is that motorcyclists run at a much higher level of potential injury and death, and a lot of people are frustrated with the cliche sportbike rider, exactly like the one in the video. So they drive more aggressively, and the Police become more intolerant. You can't tell me morons like this are good for our sport. You may not care if you ride track only, but a lot of us like to commute on our bikes.

People in cars and trucks run a higher risk of injuring others and doing much more damage than a bike rider wadding his shit up. I would hope people would be much more frustrated with assholes on phones driving like total douches as it happens 20 times more often than a jack ass on a bike riding on the shoulder, hell I see cars running up the shoulder and diving in and out of traffic and running red lights and so on and so on....more often than bikes. The police should be more intolerant of this behavior. And yes I ride the track, and go as fast and hard as I can, but I do also ride the street. Commuting is not something I enjoy anymore mostly due to cars and inattentive drivers. In the canyons I enjoy my corners and <10 over in the straights where all the cops like to lie in wait. I do get frustrated with idiots that wont pull out or wave by when they are impeding, and they get passed aggressively and loudly, so I guess I am guilty of giving your sport a bit of a shiner.

Ya, but by percentages, many more sportbike riders ride like butthats on commuter streets. It pisses off the cagers, who are the majority and have the protection of their cage. So they either respond aggressively, or eventually come down on us. You can't tell me you enjoy being tail-gated, it scares me.

The Police are not intolerant of it, but they have to see it to do anything about it. And believe it or not, people drive like little angles when there's a black/white behind them.

In the canyons it's different. I still try and make my passes clean, giving the car plenty of room so they don't flip out or get scared because they were too busy watching their phone to realize I was behind them. Pissed off cagers are not good for us as a whole. And riding sane and within the laws when commuting can go a long way to keeping you safe.

Bottom line is this guy's reckless driving put both of us in grave danger. That was my lane. I float about in my lane depending on conditions. I don't expect someone to be breaking the law by splitting it. We're both lucky I didn't decide to drift over.
    Last edited by Aaron; Sat Apr 26th, 2014 at 06:06 PM.

Maybe it's just my perspective from the video... but all I saw was a squid pass you and another car?

Re: Canyon passing.

I went riding yesterday, decided to take it slower but still have fun. Traffic was lite so most cars motioned me to pass (ie pulling towards the shoulder, waving me by).

I waived after every pass to say thank you and waived at the ones that didn't move over too. I've been pulled over a few times because someone called ahead to tell the police a motorcycle passed them on a double yellow and it hurt their precious little ego.

Mistaken identity man... sport bikes look the same to everyone, it's a bitch! =)
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

That's all it was, it was just two dangerous, dirty, unexpected, and illegal passes. Mainly just want everyone here to beware of the crap riders before thinking they have lane possession and are free to move about, and to hope none of you ride like this.

Canyon rides are different. It's expected, and our passes are done in a different lane which the cage has no possession of.

He was just trying to show off in front of your camera so he can be on YouTube.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suki View Post
    ...i mean, sure maybe 4 inches isn't much to them, but it sure as hell is alot to me!

Gold Member

Ummmm. Besides his pass on the shoulder way in front of you I don't see anything all that strange. Close call?? If you call that a close call you would shit yourself with a real close call. Its not like he blasted by you on the shoulder.

And to be honest if you had been watching your mirrors properly he wouldn't have snuck up on you. Those things aren't just for changing lanes. They are there to help in your situational awareness. Something I hope you have worked on.

Also by riding in lane one like that you kind of opened yourself up to those situations. Why so you think in the handbook it tells you to ride in lane two?

Not trying to pick on you or rehash old issues. Just pointing out some things I see in the video. Just an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    Ummmm. Besides his pass on the shoulder way in front of you I don't see anything all that strange. Close call?? If you call that a close call you would shit yourself with a real close call. Its not like he blasted by you on the shoulder.

And to be honest if you had been watching your mirrors properly he wouldn't have snuck up on you. Those things aren't just for changing lanes. They are there to help in your situational awareness. Something I hope you have worked on.

Also by riding in lane one like that you kind of opened yourself up to those situations. Why so you think in the handbook it tells you to ride in lane two?

Not trying to pick on you or rehash old issues. Just pointing out some things I see in the video. Just an opinion.
    I called it a halfway close call, because I wasn't sure what else to call it. But no, it wasn't a close call. I really haven't had many close calls, if any to be honest.

In 5-6 seconds flat, he went from right beside me to out of sight. Obviously full throttle, riding 40mph faster than traffic. I guess I'm not practicing situation awareness for a guy doing 40mph faster than traffic when in heavy traffic. I prefer to look ahead of, and beside me, until I have to stop of course. But in this traffic, until I have to slow, I don't spend much time looking behind me.

I had little choice, I was merging back onto the highway and it merges from the left. So I eased back onto the highway, into the fast lane. And I prefer to ride in that lane, because it cuts in nearly half the number of cars I need to worry about and pay attention to, and traffic in that lane changes lanes much less often. Sucks the manual doesn't agree with me. I should sue them.

I appreciate your last sentence, but I just don't see any issues with my riding in this video (Though I've got several riding issues in general don't get me wrong).

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Summer of 2013, northbound I25 just north of Denver, some jackbutt on a 1st gen SV650S decides he's going to share my lane. I had no idea he was there until he flew past me, and then proceeded to pass traffic on the shoulder. It's idiots like this who give us a bad name. If you know this cat, why not share his name and date of birth, I'm sure I can find a Trooper who'd like to give him a party invitation.
    ]

That was you !?!?!!

That was me!!!!!

Senior Member Moderator

And I prefer to ride in that lane, because it cuts in nearly half the number of cars I need to worry about and pay attention to, and traffic in that lane changes lanes much less often. Sucks the manual doesn't agree with me. I should sue them.
    You do realize this is Colorado, right? The land where the passing lane is usually the most occupied lane, and almost always filled with jackasses who don't know how it's supposed to be used.

In Colorado left lane=slow lane and right lane=passing lane
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR
    2024 Aprilia Tuono Factory Ultra Gold

I am Spartacus!

Quote Originally Posted by mdub View Post
    That was you !?!?!!

That was me!!!!!
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Gold Member

I called it a halfway close call, because I wasn't sure what else to call it. But no, it wasn't a close call. I really haven't had many close calls, if any to be honest.

In 5-6 seconds flat, he went from right beside me to out of sight. Obviously full throttle, riding 40mph faster than traffic. I guess I'm not practicing situation awareness for a guy doing 40mph faster than traffic when in heavy traffic. I prefer to look ahead of, and beside me, until I have to stop of course. But in this traffic, until I have to slow, I don't spend much time looking behind me.

I had little choice, I was merging back onto the highway and it merges from the left. So I eased back onto the highway, into the fast lane. And I prefer to ride in that lane, because it cuts in nearly half the number of cars I need to worry about and pay attention to, and traffic in that lane changes lanes much less often. Sucks the manual doesn't agree with me. I should sue them.

I appreciate your last sentence, but I just don't see any issues with my riding in this video (Though I've got several riding issues in general don't get me wrong).
    Okay so I need to clerify a bit. When I said lane one I was referring to how each lane for motorcycles is broken down into three lanes. I was not referring to car lanes. So basically what I was saying was you should be riding in lane two of lane one. Because that makes so much sense typed out. Lol.

And honestly upon further review... (best sports announcing voice) I will retract my earlier statement seeing how you did actually see coming. Its very clear you see him come up on you as you looked and waited for him and even moved further over for him to pass.

Its also very clear he doesn't actually pass YOU at much speed. He seems to pull up look at you and then begins to be a jackass. But you really should be checking those mirrors more often. Your head isn't moving much. That thing should be also moving and looking.

Just want to see everyone ride safe and be safe at the end of the day. Even if I don't like the people very much..... well accept this one guy... if he still trolls here I hope he sees this and knows I hope he fucking dies in a horrible manner. Painfully and slowly. Fuck you old man. Fuck you.

But Anyways I wouldn't worry too much about anyone making riders look bad. Being as we are kind of rebels to begin with honestly who cares what the cages think.

....well accept this one guy...if he still trolls here I hope he sees this and knows I hope he fucking dies in a horrible manner. Painfully and slowly. Fuck you old man. Fuck you.
    I thought we were pals.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    I thought we were pals.

He'll apologize later . That is booze talkin

Okay so I need to clerify a bit. When I said lane one I was referring to how each lane for motorcycles is broken down into three lanes. I was not referring to car lanes. So basically what I was saying was you should be riding in lane two of lane one. Because that makes so much sense typed out. Lol.

And honestly upon further review... (best sports announcing voice) I will retract my earlier statement seeing how you did actually see coming. Its very clear you see him come up on you as you looked and waited for him and even moved further over for him to pass.

Its also very clear he doesn't actually pass YOU at much speed. He seems to pull up look at you and then begins to be a jackass. But you really should be checking those mirrors more often. Your head isn't moving much. That thing should be also moving and looking.

Just want to see everyone ride safe and be safe at the end of the day. Even if I don't like the people very much..... well accept this one guy... if he still trolls here I hope he sees this and knows I hope he fucking dies in a horrible manner. Painfully and slowly. Fuck you old man. Fuck you.

But Anyways I wouldn't worry too much about anyone making riders look bad. Being as we are kind of rebels to begin with honestly who cares what the cages think.
    Ok that makes sense. I still don't agree though. Riding in the middle of the lane is were there is, by far, the most amount of rocks and oil on the roadway, and your chance of there being a large piece of debris is higher.

I didn't see him come up, I was turning m head to look at the pickup driver, because it seemed like he was pacing me. Random that our village idiot decides to pass me then. I guess he didn't pass me at very high speed, but it shouldn't have been done at all.

You've got some great posts in here, they're appreciated! You make a good point about the rebelness too, just don't want even more cagers going out of their way to try and kill me. The handgun seems to have been helping this.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    I thought we were pals.
    He'll apologize later . That is booze talkin

Naaaa no liquor. And I just thought about it. Some people call bashed old man. No him either. This faggot knows who he is.

Damn man... The other F word.

who ever you be. Come on out

Who me???
    I am almost old enough to be Bash's older brother.

Just let nature takes it's course, he will be just another statistic.
    2013 zx6r
    MRA Novice #407
    Race like a girl!

Gold Member

Damn man... The other F word.

who ever you be. Come on out
    That coward will never say anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Who me???
    I am almost old enough to be Bash's older brother.
    Na. You're just a dick.