Thread: Picking a bike up in TX

Picking a bike up in TX

I think I have found my next victim and am thinking about flying down to Houston to get it.

I have never flown somewhere to pick something up.... As in get off the plane, buy it and ride it home. The bike is a 2011, adult owned and only has 1900 miles on it so im not really worried about anything but beings that I havent ever done this I figured I would ask the pros.

I am waiting to find out who the title owner is as one of my concerns was riding off with a bill of sale and then having a title issue once I get back here.

Is there anything I should do that anyone has learned the hard way? Is riding off with a bill of sale a bad idea or should I only except the title?

Really, any info that anyone can provide would be appreciated.
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

Re: Picking a bike up in TX

I would accept only the title personally.

I just bought a bike from Cali. I did it through a dealer who was selling it for a friend. I was considering a fly and ride but wasn't sure how the weather would be and if I had enough time to do it all. Instead I called every transport company I could and found a company in Loveland that brought it from cali for $220! So I went that route.

I've registered a good 10 vehicles and motorcycles over the past couple years and this was the first one I ran into issues with. The dealer did mess up the title a little bit, but nothing serious. It was all taken care of when I went to the dmv and got an Official Bill of Sale form from them and filled it out and had to send it back and forth from the dealer, who was more than willing to assist in any of my needs. I don't know if a random person would have done the same. I suggest getting a few bill of sale forms before you head out. We made a mistake on the first form and the dmv wouldn't accept it. And I personally, would never buy a bike unless I had the title. Who even knows what kind of trouble could come from not having a title.
    Current bike: 2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure (63k miles)
    Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 BMW F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2007 GSXR 750 / 2004 CRF450 Sumo / Yamaha Secca II

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie675 View Post
    I just bought a bike from Cali. I did it through a dealer who was selling it for a friend. I was considering a fly and ride but wasn't sure how the weather would be and if I had enough time to do it all. Instead I called every transport company I could and found a company in Loveland that brought it from cali for $220! So I went that route.

I've registered a good 10 vehicles and motorcycles over the past couple years and this was the first one I ran into issues with. The dealer did mess up the title a little bit, but nothing serious. It was all taken care of when I went to the dmv and got an Official Bill of Sale form from them and filled it out and had to send it back and forth from the dealer, who was more than willing to assist in any of my needs. I don't know if a random person would have done the same. I suggest getting a few bill of sale forms before you head out. We made a mistake on the first form and the dmv wouldn't accept it. And I personally, would never buy a bike unless I had the title. Who even knows what kind of trouble could come from not having a title.
    Hahahaha that transport company was the same one that used to pick up repos from and send them to auction. Really good people to deal with. And yes they go to Texas.

Gold Member

Nope.