Thread: Pothole/Tire Question

Pothole/Tire Question

A week ago I was riding with a buddy and our lovely streets of Colorado are pretty terrible, anyways riding there was a deep pot hole that I couldn't avoid curb one side cage on the other side. Handle bars slapped the tank, I grabbed on and rode it out, now every time I just feel the bike doesn't ride correct, it feels almost as if its bouncing and swaying side to side.

So the question is, did it knock the tire out of balance?

I've checked the obvious no signs of damage to the tire, rim or forks, no leaks.

I have this uneasy feeling and thinking about sending it to the stealership to have them check it out and see if it needs to be re-balanced.

Thoughts?
    2006 Kawasaki 636

Re: Pothole/Tire Question

Unlikely that it's a balance issue, unless it managed to knock the weights off the wheel. It is possible that the tire's carcass was damaged, but usually that will cause an obvious bulge or bubble in the tread or sidewall. If you can get the front end off the ground and spin the wheel, look for obvious out of round or out of true conditions. Also check the axle, axle pinch bolts, and triple clamp pinch bolts to make sure they are properly tightened, preferably loosening them all(except the upper triples), then bouncing the suspension a couple of times then tightening in the following order: Axle, lower triple clamp, and finally the axle pinch bolts. This will prevent any binding in the fork.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Make sure both forks stick up above the the triples the same amount too. Doubtful but might have jacked the fork height.

Check on checkas

Sol Performance/ Preilli Race tires ...........Buy and sell take offs!!
    solperformance@gmail.com .............. www.2ndroll.com
    233. S. Madsion Ave. Loveland, CO 80537
    970.SOL.TIRE

I've checked the triples retigightened everything but still feels off. I don't see a weight on the front wheel I don't know if it's just in my head or if the weight came off and that's what I'm noticing

The reason I've never crashed in a race or practice is because rather than low-side, I'll stand the bike up and go off roading. I'm pretty good at it, too! With that said, back in '89 on my '89 FZR, I was ripping through Red Rocks Park outside Las Vegas and I over-cooked a turn and went 4Xing at about 100mph. The bike was a bucking Bronco hitting all the holes and rocks, but I kept it upright. The bike was never the same after that. There was nothing obvious, but it definitely didn't feel the same. Completely removed front and rear suspension and found nothing. Put it all back together and it still didn't feel right. Never did figure it out. Moved to Cali a few months later and it was stolen and totaled in a crash from the police chase. So, I guess it all worked out in the end...
    Last edited by Kim-n-Dean; Tue May 6th, 2014 at 11:33 AM.
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Might just be in your head....
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook