Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Canyon + much more. July 12-13. [UPDATED]

Black Canyon + much more. July 12-13. [UPDATED]

UPDATED README UPDATED

I’m planning an awesome two-day ride for July 12-13 which is packed full of twisty canyons, steep mountain passes, etc and features a visit to the Black Canyon. See maps below. I road almost this same route solo last summer and had a blast. Each day is about 300 miles or 7 hours. The pace will be fast/spirited as there's a lot of ground to cover, but we won’t be rushed to beat the clock. We'll spend the night in a hotel near the Black Canyon in Delta (see hotel details below). There should be time Saturday evening or Sunday morning to walk around and take pictures at the Black Canyon Park (free).

Please be a proficient motorcyclist if you decide to join the group. Also, please don’t be a douchebag.

At the moment, it looks like there will be around 8 people on this ride

HOTEL

Rodeway Inn
    2124 S. Main Street, Delta, CO, US, 81416
    (970) 874-9726

~$70 per room and has a pool

Hotel is your responsibility. If you’re serious about coming, book a room ASAP. I’ve booked two extra rooms (4 people). PM me if you want a bed in one of these two rooms.

MEETING TIME AND LOCATION

Moco
    8:15am 12 July, KSU 8:30

THE ROUTE

Day1: Bear Creak, Kerr Gulch, Squaw Pass, Guanella Pass, Loveland Pass, Swan Mountain, Freemont Pass, Independence Pass, McClure Pass, Hotchkiss

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=M...&via=3&t=m&z=8

Day2: Black Canyon, Hwy 50 East, Teller County Roads, Cripple Creek, Deckers, Pine Junction, Home

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=H...mra=ls&t=m&z=8

Possible addition (Grand Mesa Byway): It would be really cool to incorporate this road somehow at the end of the 1st day or beginning of the 2nd

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=H...DSR3w&t=m&z=10
    Last edited by summit82; Tue Jun 24th, 2014 at 11:07 PM.

Re: Black Canyon. July 12-13. Best CSC ride of the summer. Don't miss out!!!

Black Canyon is my favorite day ride. It's a 500 mile loop from Colorado Springs or Denver that can easily be done in a day.

Normally with a small group, plan for 12 hours with a long lunch in Crawford; solo I got it down to 8 hours and 45 minutes.

Every year we do a "Firecracker 500" which is the black canyon 500, but when done on the 4th of July it becomes the 'firecracker'. This year's 4th is conveniently on a Friday (3 day weekend!).

Anyhow, if you want to make a weekend of it and can stand a tad under 500 miles per day over 2 days, you should check out the Durango trip. This trip will probably happen in June or July.
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Have fun iron butts

Clovis, I was expecting you’d chime in on a post about a long ride, especially one that includes the Black Canyon. Thanks for the comments.

This route is best done in two days because it covers a LOT more than the Black Canyon and mostly excludes highways/interstates. Plus, it allows plenty of time to experience the Black Canyon in the morning of the second day.

Glad you mentioned the Firecracker 500. Might adjust the date of my ride to avoid conflict. 400 miles is about the max I can do in one day before my body and mind shut down.

Do you know of any alternate routes to get from Gunnison to Cripple Creek?
    Last edited by summit82; Mon May 5th, 2014 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mdub View Post
    Have fun iron butts
    A real adventure like this isn't for everyone

yep I'm in, no inputs though I'm a follower

YouR right J.M.

Quote Originally Posted by summit82 View Post
    A real adventure like this isn't for everyone

Ur right J.M.

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    yep I'm in, no inputs though I'm a follower
    Cool!

I think I found a van for track days. Could hold two bikes, but would be snug

Ur right J.M.
    Dubster, don't knock it so quickly. I'm sure you'd have fun

Cool!

I think I found a van for track days. Could hold two bikes, but would be snug
    yeh I'm up for that since your buyin lol

This might be above my level but definitely interested.

I am down for a nice long ride, but not two days of it. I would need to come home in between days.

Dubster, don't knock it so quickly. I'm sure you'd have fun

I might just go

I might just go
    I might even pitch an getcha a tank of fuel, provided it's at reasonable city prices

I should be ok . I have aluminum cans and scrap metal piling up behind my trailer. This Friday gonna recycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Nolan View Post
    You'll be fine Nolan. Pace will be fast but not balls to the wall

Quote Originally Posted by Redline View Post
    I am down for a nice long ride, but not two days of it. I would need to come home in between days.
    You could ride with us on the first day to Carbondale and then book it home on I70

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Generic's Avatar

I'm going to think about this one.

-Murdock
    2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Quote Originally Posted by Nolan View Post
    Same here.
    Jimi
    2013 Honda CBR500R Previous: 1989 Honda CR250R

I'm in. More than likely.

Chocolate Thunder

Possible x 2....well rpmwfo is in.

Kerry
    Suzuki Gladius 650
    GSXR 750

Taste the rainbow...B*itch
    http://www.pajiba.com/videos/awesome...inbow-btch.php

To be honest, I think you will have better luck modifying the route and doing it over 1 day.

I took your starting location of Morrison, CO and finishing location of Sedalia, CO and then modified the route for what I would ride.

This cuts out I-70 all together (replaces with 285) and is 544 miles which is a solid 12-13 hours of riding. There is also a short cut between Crawford and Panoia which cuts out Hotchkiss and saves

http://goo.gl/maps/gvUu1

For long rides, my goal is to cover an average of 50 miles per hour. So 544 milese "should" take 11 hours plus an hour for lunch and an hour for time wasters (pictures). If you can cover 50 miles every hour, then you are making great time.

I ride Black Canyon myself 15-20 times per year, sometimes with a small group but usually solo. I'm just waiting for Indie Pass to open on 5/22

If I'm by myself, figure 9 to 10 hours but I don't stop for lunch. I either bring my own or do without.

With a group 12 hours or so.

Usuaully what we do, if we have groups leaving from Denver and Colorado Springs is we meet at Jan's Resturant in Buena Vista, CO.

They have kick ass breakfast, lots of seating and friendly service. Also directly across from the Shell gas station in town (with the ice cream cone sign).

Buena Vista is roughly 122 miles from Denver 93 milesl from the Springs so it works out.

From Buena Vista you you will do a loop of the black canyon. It's just a matter of do we hit Indie Pass first or Monarch Pass first.

http://goo.gl/maps/0yhge Counter-Clock wise (Indie Pass first)-- It's 317 miles from Buena Vista to Buena Vista

http://goo.gl/maps/ycwHF - Clockwise version (Monarch first). This has the route ending at the stop sign of 82 and 24. From here the Denver peeps usually go left and take 24 to I70 and the Springs peeps turn right and head to Buena Vista and then take 285/24 home. 297 miles starting in Buena Vista and ending at this point.

http://goo.gl/maps/gxVgb Clockwise version (Monarch first) - ends in Buena Vista, also 317 miles.

http://goo.gl/maps/Am97R This is my own personal route when riding solo or just leaving from Colorado Springs and not meeting folks in Buena Vista first. 495 miles.

Pro tip: Check the weather forecast. If afternoon rain is in the forecast hit Indie Pass first. Going up Indie in the rain sucks. Going up Monarch in the rain sucks a lot less.

If weather isn't a factor and it's clear skies all day here are the differences:

I typically refer to do the clock wise ration (Monarch Pass > Gunnison > Black Canyon > Crawford > McClure > Carbondale > Indie Pass.

The primary reason is I like going up Indie Pass a little more from from Aspen to Twin Lakes.

This is also a little better for the Denver people because from the interesection of 82 and 24 they can either go left and head to Leadville and I70 home or they can go to Buena Vista and take 285 home... rather then coming out at Salida and having to trek north a bit.

BUT -- the other way is 95% as much fun. Hitting Monarch late in the day is also fun. Monarch has a lot of wide sweepers on the western side that you get to climb up and that's always a blast.

In any case, this is a fun ride and definately my favorite Colorado ride.
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Junior Member Yearly Supporter

Awesome Route! I'm going to steal it LOL!

I'm interested in joining, one question though what's is the pace of this ride? And I only ask because I got turned down for a ride last year for the fire cracker 500 due to my motorcycle being a Ninja 300 (still went on my own though!). Don't get me wrong I'm not a newbie but I'm limited in the high speed stuff. I'm familiar with the ride so even if I'm left behind a little I'll eventually catch up no prob.