Thread: Thanks a lot Kawi...

Thanks a lot Kawi...

So my valve cover gasket was leaking pretty decently and I decided today was the day to tear it apart to replace it. Little did I know that the morons at Kawi decided to use uber cheap cast magnesium for the valve cover. A wire was hanging down and occasionally rubbing on the valve cover.

I'd have never believed it if I didn't see it, but the wire still has insulation and it actually ate through the valve cover where I couldn't see it. No wonder oil was coming out at a decent rate. It's just a small small hole, but still...

I looked it up and the new valve cover is between 240 and 350. I simply don't have that, so it looks like I'll be doing the JB Weld method. That really pisses me off that an 05 already needs a valve cover gasket and a valve cover because they decided to cut corners. And you can't use "it's a high performance race-oriented machine" as an excuse because it's a Z750S. It's detuned and downsized from the Z1000.

/Rant
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Generic's Avatar

Re: Thanks a lot Kawi...

As a fellow '05 Z750S owner, which wire? I want to avoid a similar issue if possible.

Thanks.
    2005 Kawasaki Z750S

On my Kawi they decided for the 05-06 model of my bike to randomly change the speedo wiring so that I cannot buy a plug n play speedo healer as you could for the 6 years models prior and the 8 years after the 05-06 model I have, so I am forced to splice and cut wired to tap in a speedo healer rather than just plus in a simple connector. Stupid they changed it for just 2 years then changed it back. Make shit consistent would be nice.
    2005 Suzuki SV650s Blue (SOLD), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636 Lime Green

The good news is JB Weld should work quite well for a very small hole in a valve cover.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Dunno, I'll track it down and tell you which one when I get calmed down enough to work on it again. It's under the gas tank just left of the cam towers. Protected by the plastics and tank.

Quote Originally Posted by UHATEIT View Post
    On my Kawi they decided for the 05-06 model of my bike to randomly change the speedo wiring so that I cannot buy a plug n play speedo healer as you could for the 6 years models prior and the 8 years after the 05-06 model I have, so I am forced to splice and cut wired to tap in a speedo healer rather than just plus in a simple connector. Stupid they changed it for just 2 years then changed it back. Make shit consistent would be nice.
    Manufacturers do that all the time if they can save money on a part. Back 20 years ago a Chevy Cavalier had a starter for the 89 model that was used only that year, in 1990 they went back to the same one they had used for 1988 and prior models. The price difference between the one used for many years and the single year model was about $45.00 vs. $130.00 and the 89 model did not have a replaceable Bendix like the other model did, so you had to replace the whole starter. It was a similar issue with the alternator which was replaced three times in two years. That was a $200,000 car by parts prices.

Updating here...
    It wasn't the wire, it was the plastic connector for the fuel pump that rubbed through it, but the plastic is undamaged.

I put it back together and it started great. Took it for a spin and wouldn't go above 5K... Scared the crap out of me until I noticed a kinked fuel line haha