Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IMI on Sunday, May 18, anyone want to share a pickup from Colorado Springs?

IMI on Sunday, May 18, anyone want to share a pickup from Colorado Springs?

I'm considering going out to IMI on Sunday May 18. I've got a pickup and was hoping we could drive that, put both bikes in back, from CO Springs. Anyone interested?

Re: IMI on Sunday, May 18, anyone want to share a pickup from Colorado Springs?

Aaron I might be interested. I'm waiting on my ECU to come back from being flashed. I have that Sunday off and have been meaning to go to IMI. Are you going to take you BMW?

Ya I'll be riding the BMW. Seems like the best bike for IMI ever. Ha I doubt I'll ever get out of first gear, and coming out of turns at 7,000rpm is going to suck!

Weather looks good so far.

If you actually show up I might have to be there, I still have a rain check from last year I need to use.
    BTW 7k is not a bad range too be in for corner. Maintenance throttle at that rpm will give you good drive out without having to get back up into the sweet spot.

Bueller.... let me know if you go. Would be good, like old times haha.

Why not Pueblo?

IMI is slower and since it'll be my first time I'm liking that, and it's cheaper. Pueblo is what like 100 or 150? And I'd need to pay for their safety course or whatever it's called.

Aren't you going to spend like 150 in gas to drive to Erie from the springs though?
    It will end costing nothing though cause you won't go to either one.
    Had fun at imi last time I went. Ran ccw so most of the corners were left. Don't get a lot of practice to the left. I've struggled with it for long time now. Also looking through corners that 180 pretty much was different. So hard at first neck starts to hurt for sure. Patches were a little slippy. I avoided them as much as I could. Takes a bit to get lines through them in a couple turns. I hadn't gotten into 1 as hard as wanted before I left. Bike doesn't like the bumps going in. Made some changes that were moving me the right direction though. Fun little bull ring if you challenge yourself for what it is.

Another concern is gas in the bike, and my tires. I have PR2's on it, a hard compound sport touring tire. I don't want to burn through the entire set, or risk going down because they aren't an aggressive enough tire for a serious track.

Pueblo is $150 for the track day right? They might let me run without the course, I'm an SCCA member and have been auto-crossing for years.

Track experience for that? Getting on and off the track and flags ?

Neither, they didn't use flags and it wasn't on a track really.

What do you think about my tires? Obviously they aren't ideal, but until I can afford a second set of wheels and tires they're all I've got. And with how much commuting I do (10k miles a year), they make the most sense for my slabbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Neither, they didn't use flags and it wasn't on a track really.

What do you think about my tires? Obviously they aren't ideal, but until I can afford a second set of wheels and tires they're all I've got. And with how much commuting I do (10k miles a year), they make the most sense for my slabbing.
    You'll be fine, ride within the limits of your tires, your bike, and yourself. Anyone who blames their tires for crashing is a moron.

Being an experienced rider you should be fine have to ask her but one of us could go over the rules with ya and show on and off procedure and flags. It's pretty simple. Call and ask her.

You won't go through a set of tires in one day, you might wear down the sides to help equalize that commuting flat spot. Just drop your pressures to 28 or 29 lbs. I ran Pilot Roads on my TL @ PMI and I pushed them pretty hard and finally found the edge, and I went no further. IMI is a great little track to get your feet wet, just remember to soak up as much info as possible and remember that there will always be someone faster than you, do not try to keep up with them. Ask Grim how that goes.
    But then again, this is assuming you actually show up, which I am willing to bet against.
    BTW has anyone actually confirmed the track will be available? I know Colo. Supermoto is in Grand Junction on the 18 but kart races are always a possibility.

The kid kart races are elsewhere that weekend, don't know what other groups might be there. The IMI page appears to be down currently, but they only had a 2013 schedule posted last time. Assuming it's available and the weather is nice, I might drag a couple bikes out.
    Blair
    2000 GSX750F, 2003 YZ450F, 2004 GSXR750, 2006 ZX-14
    2013 CBR500R, 2016 YZF-R6 - MRA #760

I'm taking my to fidy if my 300 is not available by then. I'll be taking it easy since it's got the crapola IRC OEM tires

Ok, want to truck pool? Save tires and energy?

Just a heads up.... Drift event Sunday, no bikes on the asphalt.

Well that blows.

Ya oh well, at least I don't need to find an excuse now for missing it! I might do Pueblo we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    Just a heads up.... Drift event Sunday, no bikes on the asphalt.
    Where at? IMI?

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Ya oh well, at least I don't need to find an excuse now for missing it! I might do Pueblo we'll see.
    Is it two for one or regular price? If two for one let me know and I'll go halfsies with you

Ohh romantic! I'm not sure but I kind of doubt it, I'll let you know.

PMP is doing open lapping on Friday and Sunday, 16th and 18th. Friday would be better for me. Weather looks perfect.
    Last edited by Aaron; Tue May 13th, 2014 at 11:23 AM.

Great work Slo, saved us from bitter disappointment.
    Aaron you know you damn well won't shell out$150 :-)
    I think they have a half day rate also.