Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: new ride

Re: new ride

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Yup, that was right in front of Qdoba; had just washed the ride and remembered I had not got a pic with the new rims on (as I walked back with my burrito). I live right by there off of Belleview and Windermere.
    How funny man, I'm down the street from you. Prentice St just before the "S" curve.
    Erich-
    2004 SV650S - 8K miles - SOLD
    2003 SV1000S - 15K miles - My new love!

Gold Member

Well as of now its all under warranty for a few years. But those issues stated wouldn't bother me much. Plus this isn't going to be a daily driver. Its just a toy to enjoy sunny drives around tahoe and maybe along the 101 in Cali.

As for the taillights here in nv all that is required is that they reflect red at a certain distance. As long as I don't associate the car with the racers it won't be much of a issue with local leos. But thanks for the heads up.

I still have to see how far under my truck I can park this car. Lol.

Something's wrong with the taillights, they wont be seeable during the daytime and at night the brake lights will look the same as normal lights Looks like someone already asked about those
    2005 Suzuki SV650s Blue (SOLD), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636 Lime Green

Quote Originally Posted by UHATEIT View Post
    Something's wrong with the taillights, they wont be seeable during the daytime and at night the brake lights will look the same as normal lights Looks like someone already asked about those
    How are you guys even seeing the taillights? I see two pics and barely a side view of the taillights. Guess maybe you are all just hating on light covers, yet never thought those were illegal. For all I know maybe there are some super bright LED's in tail/brake lights in that BMW.....
    Last edited by bulldog; Tue May 13th, 2014 at 12:34 PM.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

You can't see much, but you can see that either the lenses are tinted or they have tinted covers on them. Quite simply there's almost no way to do this and stay legal, and it was one of my pet peeves at work, along with license plate covers.

I'd generally make a deal with drivers, they let me remove the covers, and they get a warning. They also got a flag noting zero tolerance for the covers in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    You can't see much, but you can see that either the lenses are tinted or they have tinted covers on them. Quite simply there's almost no way to do this and stay legal, and it was one of my pet peeves at work, along with license plate covers.

I'd generally make a deal with drivers, they let me remove the covers, and they get a warning. They also got a flag noting zero tolerance for the covers in the future.
    I've just never seen a clear answer on whether these were illegal. Some cops say they are while others say they are not. Even a google search I cannot find a concrete answer. Plus with technology changing daily there could be brighter taillight bulbs or different tint used now. LED's are huge now in the mod world and those things get pretty bright, so if you can level the tint out with brighter bulbs, it basically the same.

Agree with Aaron. Tinted taillights is one of my biggest pet peeves as well. To each their own tho. But I hate seeing Chrysler 300 and Dodge Chargers with badly done covers so much that you cant see them hitting their brakes during the daytime and at night the brake lights look about the same as normal running lights.
    2005 Suzuki SV650s Blue (SOLD), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636 Lime Green

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Nice ride, Townie. Welcome back to the internet, Nate. =)
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by UHATEIT View Post
    Agree with Aaron. Tinted taillights is one of my biggest pet peeves as well. To each their own tho. But I hate seeing Chrysler 300 and Dodge Chargers with badly done covers so much that you cant see them hitting their brakes during the daytime and at night the brake lights look about the same as normal running lights.
    True, not seeing tailights is bad! I guess I've been hanging in the tuner world too long though because I have seen some super bright LED taililights nowadays. This place sells some http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/tail-brake-turn/

It is hard to see in pics, but there is a huge difference, so it could be used to offset the tinted covers. Look how bright these look!

Got to remember we are talking like 60+ LED's vs a single regular bulb
    Last edited by bulldog; Tue May 13th, 2014 at 01:44 PM.

You're right, LED's can get really bright, I've got some of the brightest V-LED's sells in my Jeep. But even on the Jeeps the LED's don't cut through the tint nearly to the factory level.

As as far as their legality, they are illegal, if not one way then another. First state law specifies a distance they must be seen at. Of course this is a difficult law to interpret, but that's where dash cameras come in handy. However there is also a state law that says no covers that inhibit their visibility by glare or tint. Third there are daytime state statutes which specify red color and/or red reflectors.

And if those laws aren't enough, most Municipalities have ordinances prohibiting them. Let's put it this way, somewhere there's a statute that prohibits the dark tinted covers you see all over the place. Now if it's a real light tint, and you have much brighter LED's, you'd probably be ok.

In the case of license plates, any cover, even the clear ones, is illegal.

You're right, LED's can get really bright, I've got some of the brightest V-LED's sells in my Jeep. But even on the Jeeps the LED's don't cut through the tint nearly to the factory level.

As as far as their legality, they are illegal, if not one way then another. First state law specifies a distance they must be seen at. Of course this is a difficult law to interpret, but that's where dash cameras come in handy. However there is also a state law that says no covers that inhibit their visibility by glare or tint. Third there are daytime state statutes which specify red color and/or red reflectors.

And if those laws aren't enough, most Municipalities have ordinances prohibiting them. Let's put it this way, somewhere there's a statute that prohibits the dark tinted covers you see all over the place. Now if it's a real light tint, and you have much brighter LED's, you'd probably be ok.

In the case of license plates, any cover, even the clear ones, is illegal.
    Good to know as I never could figure this one out for CO. I am sure Nevada where Townie is at is different as that state usually has few laws like that; NM was same way and people use to tint their front windshield there.

Personally, nowadays I have tried to attract as little attention to myself as possible; hence why I got the WRX over STI (yet will get the COBB tuner to pull out the STI power), kept stock 17 inch rims, got the STI exhaust vs aftermarket. and even didn't go with illegal tint this time. To me any way I can not attract attention is good for me so even though I said all this I was just putting s spin that maybe it could still be done without limiting the brake lights. I've learned the hard way that cops usually win no matter how good your excuse is...like bright taillights...not worth it to me anymore....like I said I am getting old

Most cops really don't care here about upgrades even though it's on the law unlike other states unless you're being a douche on the road. I had some dumbass on 470 in an Escalade and his tails were tinted so dark you could barely see the brake lights come on. That's just plain dangerous but to each its own and congrats on the Bimmer.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Gold Member

Its nice to see cops take such a strong stance on something as simple as taillights. We don't have other things they could be doing.........

Had to make a ftp jab at you guys.... you made it waaaaaaay too easy. Lol

Simple enough to cause accidents so it's a pretty legit thing to get pulled over for imo but whatever.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

So to change it back, what all is done to that BMW? I see rims, but anything done for performance? Just curious because my buddies was done up before he sold it and was pulling some great power out of it with a new tune. He had suspension and brake upgrades too.

Any audio upgrades? Got any plans for it?

As for me, I am still debating to risk my warranty, The car is already fast enough, but one simple COBB tuner and I get the full power that the STI has; same exact engine and turbo (just minus the 6 speed; which actually makes for faster 1/4 mile times). Plus so much I can do on these cars....yet a warranty is a hard one to risk. I got nervous to do that yet so instead I totally just redid the stereo system; kept the factory navigation deck, but used a LC2I to tap out RCA outputs and installed a 4 channel amp. Changed the stock speakers to JL Audio 2ways,then added a pair of sick Infinity Kappa side edge driven tweeters, 10' Infinity Kappa titanium woofer (with sub control in on dash), and finished it off with dynamat through the entire car. And yup, did it all myself...scary taking apart a brand new car!

Quote Originally Posted by mdub View Post
    Thanks Drama2.

Sweet ride Nate...

I found this Japanese truck and twerk it a bit

Fixed Hahahahaa.
    06 GSXR 750

Quote Originally Posted by Ph03niX View Post
    Fixed Hahahahaa.

Sweet.. Love Big Ass Booties shake like that... Hahah....

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    So to change it back, what all is done to that BMW? I see rims, but anything done for performance? Just curious because my buddies was done up before he sold it and was pulling some great power out of it with a new tune. He had suspension and brake upgrades too.

Any audio upgrades? Got any plans for it?

As for me, I am still debating to risk my warranty, The car is already fast enough, but one simple COBB tuner and I get the full power that the STI has; same exact engine and turbo (just minus the 6 speed; which actually makes for faster 1/4 mile times). Plus so much I can do on these cars....yet a warranty is a hard one to risk. I got nervous to do that yet so instead I totally just redid the stereo system; kept the factory navigation deck, but used a LC2I to tap out RCA outputs and installed a 4 channel amp. Changed the stock speakers to JL Audio 2ways,then added a pair of sick Infinity Kappa side edge driven tweeters, 10' Infinity Kappa titanium woofer (with sub control in on dash), and finished it off with dynamat through the entire car. And yup, did it all myself...scary taking apart a brand new car!
    To be 100% honest it was kind of spur of the moment. I was actually looking for a 2010 escalade. Have been for a little bit now. Went on my weekly tour of the dealership and this bad boy was there.

I know its lowered but that is about all I can see that is done to it. From the pull it has I don't think the ecu has been touched. Its truly stock. I'm already looking into stereo stuff. Haven't made any plans on adding too much to it. My 97 civic is getting the bulk of my upgrade money for now.

Aaron I was truly just making fun of the situation. Just so you know.

Buuuuut I might come on back to co just so YOU can give me a ticket for them. Lol

2010 escalade!?!!?? Pfffttttt

Better off with the Bavarian ride, even though it is a convertible... but that is you

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    To be 100% honest it was kind of spur of the moment. I was actually looking for a 2010 escalade. Have been for a little bit now. Went on my weekly tour of the dealership and this bad boy was there.

I know its lowered but that is about all I can see that is done to it. From the pull it has I don't think the ecu has been touched. Its truly stock. I'm already looking into stereo stuff. Haven't made any plans on adding too much to it. My 97 civic is getting the bulk of my upgrade money for now.
    Cool. Well if you do end up doing any work on it, let me know and I can ask my buddy what he had done as he is very skilled in this stuff and I trust his advice. If you need any advice on stereo stuff let me know....I am a big fan of Infinity's line of Kappa! Those would be in my door too, but the magnet was too big to fit even with a extension kit, so went with JL Audio, but I swear these Kappa tweeters out perform all the JL Audio's in my car (vocal/treble wise)...and they are like 2 1/2's.

I'm glad you didn't get an Escalade too. I hate those cars. Total ghetto-rich cars, and they're nothing more than a reworked Tahoe. And don't get me wrong I like the Tahoe, but an Escalade costs twice as much and is hardly better. The same money could land you a much nicer German SUV.

Gold Member

I'm glad you didn't get an Escalade too. I hate those cars. Total ghetto-rich cars, and they're nothing more than a reworked Tahoe. And don't get me wrong I like the Tahoe, but an Escalade costs twice as much and is hardly better. The same money could land you a much nicer German SUV.
    No no no no. You dont buy them new you buy them used. Much cheaper. Let some moron take the hit. I had an escalade a few years ago and miss it. Its why I was looking for one.

I will still be buying one just not this year. If my game plane of paying this off in a year works out then this time next year I will be looking for the escalade again.

Buying them used is even worse! Ghetto rich.

Why not buy a Tahoe? Same car for half the price, and you don't look ghetto rich (Unless that's what you're going for). Sorry man it's not personal I just hate those cars. Like Chrysler 300s, ignorant people buy them to try and look rich in the ghetto.

I found one: