Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First of the season - Black Canyon - Sunday June 1st - Forecast says 70s and sunny!

First of the season - Black Canyon - Sunday June 1st - Forecast says 70s and sunny!

Finally! Weather is supposed to be perfect on Sunday. Indepdendence pass is opened!

Here's the route door to door from my house:

http://mapq.st/1hjJcA4

500 miles -- also is about 500 miles from Denver. If you're coming from Denver we could meet in Buena Vista or Salidai. Alternatively you could also come down the Saturday before and stay at our house - extra beds, garage space, ect.

Check out the route and you will see why this is my favorite day ride of all.

Solo I can cover this in under 9 hours. With a couple people figure 11 to 12 hours including a stop for lunch.

Reply or PM if you're interested.

Justin
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Re: First of the season - Black Canyon - Sunday June 1st - Forecast says 70s and sunn

Hey, I've been meaning to do this ride... was going to do it later in the year, but why not do it several times...

I'm coming up from Denver. When should I meet you in BV? Or I could head down to Woodland Park, but I'm not sure what time you would be moving through there.

Re: First of the season - Black Canyon - Sunday June 1st - Forecast says 70s and sunn

Hm actually could be on this too. I'm coming from Denver too and can meet up anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ChangBang View Post
    Hm actually could be on this too. I'm coming from Denver too and can meet up anywhere.
    Well, let's meet up at Moco.

Need to work back a time, I have a feeling it'll need to be somewhat early depending on when we need to be in BV

Sure, google maps says moco to buena vista is about 2hrs. Depending on when Clovis wants to meet up, we can meet up 2hrs before.

So Clovis, when are we meeting you at buena vista and is there a normal meeting spot there?

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't log on until just now.

I figured I would doing this solo

Call/text me 719-201-9383

So if you want to meet up in Buena Vista there is a restaurant called Jan's Restaurant. If you're familiar at all with Buena Vista and you know where the hamburger stand with the large ice cream cone outside (next to the Shell gas station). Jan's is across the street.

304 U.S. 24, Buena Vista, CO 81211
    (719) 395-6940

They have great breakfast food. If you want breakfast plan on being there at 8am. I'd like to leave Jan's at 9AM. I'm not sure if I'll be there in time for Breakfast but if you text me I can reply back.

See you tomorrow.

Justin

Wow, I will need to get up early! Long ride, so makes sense.

ChangBang, I think I'm going to skip b-fast, so I'm fine with hitting BV @ 9am... so meet at Moco around 6:45am? KSU, gassed, ready to ride at 7am.

I'm on a 2006 White VFR, probably rolling with the saddle bags tomorrow.

We will see you at Jan's Clovis!

I'll be on either a black FJR or a blue FZ1 - both with a Givi tail bag, no saddle bags.

Most likely will be on the FZ1.

KSU at 7am works for me. I'll try to get there around 6:45. I'm on a white gsxr-600.

We'll see you around 9am at Jan's!

If you guys don't want to have breakfast, we could just meet at a gas station in Poncha Springs? We'll be heading to Gunnison first (clock wise route) and Poncha Springs is right where 285 breaks off from Highway 50 on the way up Monarch pass.

Poncha Springs is right next to Salida.

Meet at 9:30 or so in Poncha Springs that is. I'm fine with skipping Breakfast.

I'm fine with that, got an address for that poncha spring gas station? I've never been there. KSU at 7am still sounds good, will probably want to get gas at fairplay or something.

shoot, I don't. ill just meet you in Buena Vista.

Since we're not getting breakfast, might as well just meet at the Shell Gas station across the street from Jan's.

Alright, well unless arrrggghhh knows where it is then let's plan on meeting at the shell at buena vista. My number is 410-292-2152, I'll let you know if anything sets us back/he knows where this gas station is.

Shell in BV at 9:30 it is!

Do you want to meet up 30 mins later then? Meet at 7:15 at moco, KSU at 7:30?

I'll check back in the AM.

I think it would've been 9:30 at poncha springs if you know where this gas station is? Otherwise still at 9am for bv? I'm confused now haha

Quote Originally Posted by ChangBang View Post
    I think it would've been 9:30 at poncha springs if you know where this gas station is? Otherwise still at 9am for bv? I'm confused now haha
    lol, original plan then - no worries.

7am KSU from moco, Shell in BV at 9am.

9am at the shell on BV.

Pictures! I would've been in but my bike badly needed an oil change and I couldn't get around to it until this morning.

Great ride, thanks for putting it together Clovis! Exhausted - food, GOT, then sleep

That was an epic ride. I wish I had video of the ride up Independence, the snow/water/waterFALLS were freakin spectacular!

Will post pics shortly... Edit - gah, there's no code editing? I hate WYSIWYG editors when trying to insert pictures... Also, I suck at taking pictures so I only take a few usually

Last edited by arrrghhh; Mon Jun 2nd, 2014 at 10:50 AM.

I rode over Independence Pass and back yesterday also. The sun was shining all day and the road was in great shape with zero sand. I guess if the road is closed all winter they don't need to sand it. I thought it was funny to see people tailgating at the top (Tailgaiting as in partying, kicking it with alcohol, etc.) The first waterfall heading up the east side of the pass really surprised me as it was basically coming down on the edge of the road. My ride only totaled 352 miles.
    "That which does not kill you only postpones the inevitable."

McClure Pass:

My partners in crime

Indie Pass

What a great day for riding. Weather is was perfect, the forecast did not disappoint!

We did a slightly modify route to include the 40 miles of canyons between Salida and Highway 9 and went through Cripple Creek on the way back.

Modified route: http://mapq.st/1l1mhZf

So I clocked in at 535 miles but Chris and Scott did close to or just over 600 miles as they had a little longer ride out to Buena Vista and went home via Deckers.. We parted ways in Woodland Park and they took 67 to Deckers and then home.

Sunny skies, warm but not hot (I took my heated gear off after arriving in Buena Vista but kept my hoodie on the rest of the day). Very little in the way way of traffic and law enforcement.

Indie Pass is in pretty good shape - no sand as it's closed during the winter. Some cool water falls and minimal wet spots along the roadway.

On 133 between Carbondale and Paonia (south of McClure Pass) watch out for several large boulders which are mostly contained to the shoulder but a few in the roadway itself. Ranging from softball size to a couple 600+ pound boulders.

Black Canyon is in great shape, roads were free of sand and just a pleasure to carve.