Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well f***.

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Tylar's Avatar

Well f***.

Blew up the motor in my 08 R1. Riding to Silverthorne with the family following me, slowly acquired a vibration and going up a 7% incline (Genesee Hill just past Lookout Mtn exit) at 80mph maintaining speed in 6th gear, heard a large crack followed by constant rattling and a complete loss of power. Immediately grabbed the clutch and killed power. The aftermath is below. Nothing like an oh-sh1t moment on I-70 heading up to the Eisenhower in traffic.

Probably spending some time tomorrow finding out how much a new motor costs. How this came to be is beyond me, and some feel I should bring it up to Yamaha whether I have them replace the motor for me or not. Not sure it's worth it.

Bike has 14k miles, A&R Baffles and K&N filter are the only mods on for the drivetrain. Fresh oil and was running strong all they up to the C-470 exit before it had a load on it for the climb.

...drowning my sorrows as I type this.
    -Tylar

2009: 2009 GSXR 600 *wifey's*
    2010: 2008 YZF-R1

Re: Well f***.

Well hell man I'm sorry to hear about that! Are you going to take the motor apart so you can figure out what went wrong?
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

Wow...that would have scared the crap out of me too. Bummer about the engine, but glad you're OK. Engines are replaceable...humans are not

If you do find out what happened, would love details (just out of curiosity).
    Jimi
    2013 Honda CBR500R Previous: 1989 Honda CR250R

Quote Originally Posted by JimDog View Post
    Wow...that would have scared the crap out of me too. Bummer about the engine, but glad you're OK. Engines are replaceable...humans are not

If you do find out what happened, would love details (just out of curiosity).
    The goal is to get a new motor in and find out what happened with the stock one. I know this year of R1 has a valve weakness and I've heard of this type of thing happening. I hope to have all the infos and pics of the destruction, but no real course yet.
    -Tylar

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Craziness. Glad it didn't dump you off though!
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Wow, that is crazy, glad you didn't get hurt on it, good luck on a replacement motor.

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

I know there's some used motors up on the R1 Forum right now. Could have Bart go through it when you get one in, just to make sure everything is tip top.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    Craziness. Glad it didn't dump you off though!
    Thanks. It was on the straight, so I was fortunately upright and just maintaining speed on the incline. When it went I immediately clutched it and hit the kill switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    Wow, that is crazy, glad you didn't get hurt on it, good luck on a replacement motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    I know there's some used motors up on the R1 Forum right now. Could have Bart go through it when you get one in, just to make sure everything is tip top.
    Yeah. We're going to see. Moto-Garage is looking in their stock to see if they have a motor laying around. I may just run it up to Jensen and have him diagnose it...if I buy a new motor and put it in, then that'd give me more piece of mind than I currently have.
    -Tylar

Quote Originally Posted by Tylar View Post
    Yeah. We're going to see. Moto-Garage is looking in their stock to see if they have a motor laying around. I may just run it up to Jensen and have him diagnose it...if I buy a new motor and put it in, then that'd give me more piece of mind than I currently have.
    If you had that PC3, this wouldn't have happened. jk. If you need any help with anything, lemme know.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

So, went to move the bike after hearing a dose of reality that I was afraid of and noticed that the case that popped IS NOT the crank, it's the transmission:

Soooo, that changes things (I hope). I'm more encouraged to have it professionally diagnosed and fixed.
    -Tylar

So the bike is now at Moto-Garage under the care of Scott Jensen. Assuming all goes as planned, the needful will be repaired and I'll have a y-pipe and a PC3 with a custom map afterwards. All is not lost....

It looks like the generator for the bike, or the stator, literally exploded. Assuming no parts made it to the crankcase, I'm golden.
    -Tylar

So, went to move the bike after hearing a dose of reality that I was afraid of and noticed that the case that popped IS NOT the crank, it's the transmission:

Soooo, that changes things (I hope). I'm more encouraged to have it professionally diagnosed and fixed.
    Not really. The engine and tranny share the same case, use the same oil, etc. If you grenaded something, all that debris is most likely though the entire engine. The cover that is cracked is your generator stator cover, not the transmission. Still, what caused it? That is the mystery. Open it up...

EDIT: I see we were typing at the same time...
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    Not really. The engine and tranny share the same case, use the same oil, etc. If you grenaded something, all that debris is most likely though the entire engine. The cover that is cracked is your generator stator cover, not the transmission. Still, what caused it? That is the mystery. Open it up...

EDIT: I see we were typing at the same time...
    So I took the bike to Moto-Garage and confidence is high. Yes, it's the stator housing that blew. Only time will tell after he opens the bike up, but i'm hopeful my baby will be salvageable. what caused it....man, i'd love to know.
    -Tylar

So I took the bike to Moto-Garage and confidence is high. Yes, it's the stator housing that blew. Only time will tell after he opens the bike up, but i'm hopeful my baby will be salvageable. what caused it....man, i'd love to know.
    I have my fingers crossed for ya!! The rotor on the '08s look like a deep-dish pizza. It's also your starter clutch assembly. If you got it shut down super quick, you might be okay. So hard to tell with mechanical stuff until you get it apart. The way that rotor interacts with the stator is a huge problem if one of them comes loose. It appears they hit each other and broke the cover...
    Kim & Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    I have my fingers crossed for ya!! The rotor on the '08s look like a deep-dish pizza. It's also your starter clutch assembly. If you got it shut down super quick, you might be okay. So hard to tell with mechanical stuff until you get it apart. The way that rotor interacts with the stator is a huge problem if one of them comes loose. It appears they hit each other and broke the cover...
    Scott said he's seen it before and the engine is likely not garbage. After I hit the kill switch on I-70 that night, the bike had not been started so hopefully I was quick enough in the heat of the moment.

Even so, I was at 6k rpm when it blew and even if it took me 1 second to hit the kill switch, that's a lot of rotations. If the engine is garbage, I'm screwed...unless I throw caution to the wind and buy an internet used motor and pray it is functional.
    Last edited by Tylar; Tue Jun 17th, 2014 at 09:07 AM.
    -Tylar

Hopefully it won't cost you a ton.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmetz View Post
    Hopefully it won't cost you a ton.
    If the motorcycle gods smile on me, I'll still be out at least a grand....for starters (no pun intended).
    -Tylar

If the motorcycle gods smile on me, I'll still be out at least a grand....for starters (no pun intended).
    A grand?!? Is that just for the cover, stator and rotor? As long as you didn't send debris through the engine or hurt anything else, this is a simple fix. $580 in parts from Ron Ayers... ..well, it could be a little more with gaskets and miscellaneous stuff...

Knowing how to do this stuff is invaluable. I've given quite a few people, over the years, the confidence to do these kind of things. It's really just reading your shop manual. I'll read mine for a couiple weeks if it's something I've never done. There isn't anything on these bikes that a fairly intelligent person, who can read, can't do! I understand it's intimidating, but even Kim does some work after reading the manuals.

Here's a good example; I dropped an exhaust valve on my boat (350 Magnum MPI in a 2000 Rinker 192) and the cheapest shop repair was $4,000 to fix the one combustion chamber on the one head!! I did it myself and completely rebuilt both heads for under $400.

When you know how to fix your own toys, you can afford more toys
    Kim & Dean

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

So it's not the immediate killing the motor and clutching it (all good reactions) that concern me, it's the fact that you felt the vibration for a while beforehand. I was on a GSX-R 750 that did the exact same thing one day except the stator remained on; enough small metal bits made it past the pickup screen to spin a crank bearing. The stator has some powerful magnets, and occasionally the epoxy can break causing them to ride free which usually results in some level of catastrophic failure on the stator at a minimum. It's the ancillary potential for damage that would concern me here, and prompt a full engine tear down.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    So it's not the immediate killing the motor and clutching it (all good reactions) that concern me, it's the fact that you felt the vibration for a while beforehand. I was on a GSX-R 750 that did the exact same thing one day except the stator remained on; enough small metal bits made it past the pickup screen to spin a crank bearing. The stator has some powerful magnets, and occasionally the epoxy can break causing them to ride free which usually results in some level of catastrophic failure on the stator at a minimum. It's the ancillary potential for damage that would concern me here, and prompt a full engine tear down.
    Good point, Ralph. And, if you part your hair just right, you can't see it.

Hi-Jack: After we hung-up the other day, we made a London Broil on the smoker. Last night we did another Rib-eye. I'm convinced that higher temps are better, it renders the fat down and these babies melt in your mouth. 6 hours on a 3 1/2 lb. London Broil and 3 hours on a 1.4 lb. Rib-eye. We use only cherry wood on an indirect, side firebox smoker.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program...
    Kim & Dean

Hope it gets sorted, Tyler. Scott's done work on my CBR and I can attest to his thoroughness
    "Every Crotch is a Rocket" HDAVE

'09 Suzuki SV650
    '07 Honda CBR 600RR
    '14 1875 watt Conair

MRA#522

Quote Originally Posted by sprtbkbabe View Post
    Hope it gets sorted, Tyler. Scott's done work on my CBR and I can attest to his thoroughness
    Thanks.

Just got off the phone with Scott. #2 rod shot through the case and penetrated the stator...the crank is in multiple pieces and it's possible at least one other rod is bent. Scott characterized it as a "freak event" as he feels the OEM rods in this motor are stout and that the motor is complete trash now. Suffice to say...I'm in shock.
    -Tylar

I do not approve of this thread now.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

Not good! I was just on CL last night and there was a guy parting out an '08 R1 in the springs, the engine was part of the part out just an FYI
    2006 R1 "Raven"