Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FYI - Cardo Scala Rider refuses to warranty their products

Re: FYI - Cardo Scala Rider refuses to warranty their products

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    Sena has a 2 year warranty as well but they don't try and pull the grey-market purchase BS.
    Not true. Sena has the exact same warranty that Scala has. Like all major manufacturers do.

Look at the last box on this page http://www.sena.com/support/warranty/

Here's the quote:

Important Message to Customers in the US and Canada
    Buying from unauthorized dealers can be risky. The products purchased from unauthorized dealers may be counterfeit, stolen goods or second hand products, which will not be covered by warranty. The only way to be sure you're buying a genuine and legitimate product is to buy from an Authorized Sena Dealer or Sena directly. To see the list of Sena Authorized Dealers in North America, please click here.
    * Note about eBay/Craigslist:
    Many resellers who sell through eBay and Craigslist are not authorized resellers. When purchasing, it is important to note where the product is being shipped from and sold by. Please refer to the Sena Authorized Dealer list or contact us directly before you purchase, if you are uncertain.
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post

Important Message to Customers in the US and Canada
    Buying from unauthorized dealers can be risky. The products purchased from unauthorized dealers may be counterfeit, stolen goods or second hand products, which will not be covered by warranty. The only way to be sure you're buying a genuine and legitimate product is to buy from an Authorized Sena Dealer or Sena directly. .
    Counterfeit! I think this is the reason all this has happened. Dre beats, Bose headphones, and many others have huge scams going on right now with counterfeit goods. These goods look so good it is very hard to tell a fake from the real ones. My mom and I recently bought a set of Bose from flea market for cheap. I knew they were fake (nobody gets Bose for that cheap), but my poor mom was naive and thought these were real so when they broke (right away of course) she tried to return them to Bose and was told it was counterfeit. Amazing considering the box was a exact replica all the way down to paperwork of the warranty. My guess is this is why it has been cracked down so much....so overall they may be looking out for us and their products and not so much about screwing people over.....I swear these counterfeits are that good nowadays!
    Last edited by bulldog; Wed Jun 18th, 2014 at 03:19 PM.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Sena warrenty amazon purchases.

youre missing the point though. This isn't a counterfeit item or I would not have been able to register it with sena (which you have to in order to configure your g9).
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

That's wonderful!! I have bought a few things from Amazon, ALWAYS checking first that the seller is authorized.

youre missing the point though. This isn't a counterfeit item or I would not have been able to register it with sena (which you have to in order to configure your g9).
    Not sure who you are saying missed the point, so here I go...

I am absolutely not missing the point. Sena and Scala have the same warranty. That is: THEY DO NOT WARRANTY ITEMS PURCHASED FROM UNAUTHORIZED SELLERS. You're bitching that Scala won't warranty something you bought from an unauthorized dealer. What did Scala do wrong? And why do you think Sena is better, when they will not honor unauthorized purchases, either?

Once again, everyone, make sure you are purchasing from an authorized dealer!!!!!!!!!

...if that was for Bulldog, please press the ignore button...
    Kim & Dean

There are no authorized Cardo/Scala dealers on Amazon.

But in your world, the consumer should see something on amazon and then what? Go hunt around on the manufactures website to see if they have some obscure mention that they won't honor a warranty?

I received my new G9x powerset. Sitting here on my desk. Going back tomorrow!

Cardo is not a company I'll do business with. They can verify the serial number and see it's not counterfeit... if a product was counterfeit that's the only reason I can see not honoring a warranty (obviously). But when it's legit and there's no mention of this little exclusion anywhere on their book, warranty card, ect. It's only mentioned on a page on their website. How would any reasonable person know?
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

There are no authorized Cardo/Scala dealers on Amazon. But in your world, the consumer should see something on amazon and then what? Go hunt around on the manufactures website to see if they have some obscure mention that they won't honor a warranty?
    Absolutely!! If you're not smart enough to protect your money, then... well... you get into the situation you're in now. BTW - It's not my world. I don't own the companies and I didn't write their warranty policy. I'm just smart enough to read 'em before I buy.

They can verify the serial number and see it's not counterfeit... if a product was counterfeit that's the only reason I can see not honoring a warranty (obviously).
    Their warranty lists several reasons why they won't cover unauthorized purchases. Counterfeit is just one, but it's definitely the one you're stuck on. It doesn't matter that "that's the only reason I can see not honoring a warranty (obviously)". They build the product, they own the company, they make the rules. If they don't want to worry about unauthorized sales, that's their prerogative. It is the consumers responsibility to protect themselves. The company you're bitching about tried to help if you were smart enough to check their website. Back in the old days you had to call. Now, you can push a button on your computer.

But when it's legit and there's no mention of this little exclusion anywhere on their book, warranty card, ect. It's only mentioned on a page on their website. How would any reasonable person know?
    I've known for over ten years that this situation exists. Now, you do, too. I bet you check for authorized dealers from now-on...

...and, you are definitely missing the point when you just can't grasp the concept that you should have checked!! Sena has the same warranty and you'd probably bitch at them too and return everything, if they told you that you purchased from an unauthorized dealer... this is fucking hilarious!!!
    Last edited by Kim-n-Dean; Wed Jun 18th, 2014 at 08:50 PM.
    Kim & Dean

That's the warranty information card, not the actual warranty. The actual warranty will probably be printed in some other literature included with the product, like a "quick start guide" or "user's guide." I couldn't find the warranty for the G9 but I did find a a warranty for a phone headset. http://www.manualslib.com/manual/221...0.html?page=26 in all likelihood the warranty will have the same conditions for any product; odds are the warranties were drafted by the same lawyer.

The problem is in the warranty conditions in which the company limits the warranty to the "original purchaser." If the company you bought it from isn't an authorized reseller then they are considered an original purchaser. Your seller, because it was not an authorized reseller, could (probably) enforce the warranty but you can't because you're not the original purchaser. As an aside, conversely because Jim is an authorized reseller, he probably couldn't enforce the warranty.

Warranty Conditions
    This express limited warranty is extended by Cardo Systems, Inc. solely
    to the original purchaser and is not assignable or transferable to others.
    This is the complete warranty for your headset and charger. The Company
    assumes no obligation or liability for additions or modifications to this
    warranty unless made in writing and signed by an officer of the Company.
    Batteries are warranted only if the battery capacity falls below 70% of
    rated capacity or if the battery develops leakage.

And something else I think needs pointed out is; Sena may have a few authorized dealers selling on Amazon, but I bet Sena doesn't authorize everyone on Amazon that sells Sena. Perfect example is when I went to spend $4,000 to buy AutoCAD on Amazon. Checked with AutoDesk first to see if was authorized, it wasn't, but there was another dealer on Amazon that was authorized. That's who I bought from. Pretty simple, actually. Ya gotta check!!
    Last edited by Kim-n-Dean; Wed Jun 18th, 2014 at 08:51 PM.
    Kim & Dean

Not sure if that was meant to Dean or me...or maybe both, but I am totally seeing the point, but I do not think you are seeing it as this is not about Cardo, but you missing the fine print. Same as someone getting into a bad car loan and then coming and bitching after; we have to read what we buy first! Sucks, but we don't live in a honest world! I found one link from a Amazon listing for that product that stated that Cardo would not cover the warranty when bought off of Amazon, so I do not feel this is being hidden. And let's be honest...you bought off of Amazon because it was cheaper than the local store right? At that point a small red flag should go up and should clue you into checking that deal more. Beleive me it has happened to a lot of us. I remember back in days where I'd buy stuff on ebay with little concentration...got burned a few times, like my awesome Morcsoft Controller (fake of Microsoft Xbox controller). Now I read that fine print, location, feedback, etc in detail. Just a lesson learned man!

As for counterfit, that was just one example. I am sure you saw Cardo's explanation:
    Cardo strives to provide quality products and exceptional customer service. We select dealers who share that vision. Buying grey market items from unauthorized dealers on the Internet is counterproductive and also adversely affects unsuspecting online consumers who may be purchasing used, counterfeit or defective products or devices whose warranties are void. Protect your investment by purchasing genuine Cardo and scala rider®products only from authorized dealers.

As Koop said, this now comes down to you pretty much bought the unit as second hand since the original buyer got warranty if they bought it direct. When that Amazon buyer decided to sell it to you, it became second hand and voided the warranty. For the third time I say go after the seller as they are usually willing to work with you. I feel you would get better luck with them than Cardo. Heck maybe they could send it in for you... ( I seriously buy at least 3 things a week from Ebay/Amazon...I got a online shopping problem)

I am actually more surprised that this is the first time you have had this issue. I go through it all the time and it comes down to a decision...pay more and get from a authorized dealer or go cheap and take my chances with it discounted on amazon/ebay. I just went through this with my wedding band! Found sites online that sold the ring I wanted for half the price of Shane Co. I start reading the fine print and see that all these retailers will not warranty the brand (Benchmark) I want unless it is bought from a authorized dealer. I go to their site and guess who is nearly only authorized dealer for Benchmark rings in Denver....yup Shane Co. So we decided to not risk it and bought from Shane Co even though it was twice as much. Yet now I know if something happens to it, it is covered.
    Last edited by bulldog; Thu Jun 19th, 2014 at 07:58 AM.

I'm surprised at how many of you are chewing the ass of Clovis here. You guys seriously mean to tell me that prior to buying something on Amazon, you read the Amazon fine print, go out and find Cardo's 8 page size 6 don't warranty declaration and read it word for word, and have your lawyer work up a contract for a $200 Bluetooth kit?

The time it'd take you guys to read the "fine print," I didn't spend that much time reading the fine print on my new car's warranty. I know for a fact none of you actually do that, but it's so easy to place blame I guess.

I bought the same G9 as Clovis did, and coincidentally from the same Amazon retailer. Had absolutely no indication they weren't an "authorized dealer" or that the item wouldn't be warrantied. I guess I should've had my lawyer view the listing first. Totally my bad.

I will also never buy a Scala again. The voice commands are absolutely terrible, to the point I don't even use them because you can't use them. To power it on you have to hold the power button for 5 seconds. The volume adjustment intervals are huge, it's always either too quiet or too loud, and one movement in either direction is polar opposite of what you wanted. And the automatic speed volume compensation doesn't smoothly escalate, at 50mph it'll all the sudden jump volume up by like 2 levels, then do it again at 75. It's extremely annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I'm surprised at how many of you are chewing the ass of Clovis here. You guys seriously mean to tell me that prior to buying something on Amazon, you read the Amazon fine print, go out and find Cardo's 8 page size 6 don't warranty declaration and read it word for word, and have your lawyer work up a contract for a $200 Bluetooth kit?

The time it'd take you guys to read the "fine print," I didn't spend that much time reading the fine print on my new car's warranty. I know for a fact none of you actually do that, but it's so easy to place blame I guess.

I bought the same G9 as Clovis did, and coincidentally from the same Amazon retailer. Had absolutely no indication they weren't an "authorized dealer" or that the item wouldn't be warrantied. I guess I should've had my lawyer view the listing first. Totally my bad.

I will also never buy a Scala again. The voice commands are absolutely terrible, to the point I don't even use them because you can't use them. To power it on you have to hold the power button for 5 seconds. The volume adjustment intervals are huge, it's always either too quiet or too loud, and one movement in either direction is polar opposite of what you wanted. And the automatic speed volume compensation doesn't smoothly escalate, at 50mph it'll all the sudden jump volume up by like 2 levels, then do it again at 75. It's extremely annoying.
    Yeah and aren't you the same person that bitched about your friend getting into a bad loan because he didn't read the fine print and then blaming others. So doesn't surprise me you don't get it.

And yes I do read this fine print...actually on Amazon is was right there on question and answers from seller, but I do read it. Warranty on my car...even more I read! I am even now trying to find the exact oil that meets specs so they cannot void my warranty on car since I do not want to pay for Subaru oil. I want a COBB tuner on my car so bad, but guess what, won't do it because my "fine print" states mods like that will void warranty. I guess I could have been naive and not cared and then when they denied me go and blame others too. Just not how I am though and I credit that to how successful I have become in my finances

P.S. I never meant to "chew the ass" off of Clovis as I did state more than once to try the seller so I did try to help.
    Last edited by bulldog; Thu Jun 19th, 2014 at 11:55 AM.

I check every time. It takes me two-seconds. Well worth it!!

Nate, manufacturers banded together and got laws passed that state the vehicle manufacturer has to prove that your aftermarket parts caused the failure. An example would be; you put on an aftermarket intake and your transmission takes a shit. Obviously, the intake didn't cause it, but vehicle manufacturers used to be able to void your warranty. Not anymore, they have to prove it. Now, a tuner could be argued that it put 'extra' stress on the engine. So, there still could be a battle, but at least you have some ground to stand on...
    Kim & Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    I check every time. It takes me two-seconds. Well worth it!!

Nate, manufacturers banded together and got laws passed that state the vehicle manufacturer has to prove that your aftermarket parts caused the failure. An example would be; you put on an aftermarket intake and your transmission takes a shit. Obviously, the intake didn't cause it, but vehicle manufacturers used to be able to void your warranty. Not anymore, they have to prove it. Now, a tuner could be argued that it put 'extra' stress on the engine. So, there still could be a battle, but at least you have some ground to stand on...
    Nice...Dean reads this stuff too. And you ever seen all the cool toys Dean and Kim have...sign me up to follow his lead then

Thanks Dean, I’ve researched the hell out of the car mods laws as I had to present this to Quality Mitsubishi when they claimed my cold air intake voided my warranty; fought them and won! Like you, I was prepared and knew there were laws in place to stop this as a CAI does not cause damage. They will still try to screw you in any way they can so the best defense is to be prepared and ready and do not wait till it is too late. With the COBB tuner that appears to be an area where that law will not protect me because it will increase my boost; therefore increase the stress on engine. Again, if I did not research this prior I could have costed myself my extended warranty because they first time the dealer see that, they will void my warranty and document it. So yeah it is always best to read the fine print.

Me being picky on oil is just me being very careful.

Maybe I ought to become a cop. I get to go fast legally, get out of tickets out of "professional courtesy" even when off duty, would be able to buy a 60K SUV that doesn't go off-road, a 20K bike, be a homeowner, and still throw around the amount of money I currently make in a week.

Yeah money means something to me. When you're making under $300/wk, you research everything before you buy it. Hell I recently got an M&P40C for $219 from the factory and still researched it before I bought it.

And I have no idea why you wouldn't buy a Scala again. I love mine. Escalates smoothly for me and the voice recognition is way better than my phone's. Maybe the one I bought was already broken in because I got it used?

But hey to each their own.
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

Senior Member Moderator

I've had no issues with my Scala, either. It's an amazing device that has a ton of features. I can understand Aaron's complaint about the AGC, but I think more of it has to do with the quietness of the helmet. Also, if the microphone isn't well-placed, it can make a HUGE difference in the amplitude changes of the AGC circuit when riding at speed. My Shoei RF-1100 is pretty quiet, not to mention I ride with the chin curtain on, so the amplitude changes aren't overly dramatic. I also use silicone earplugs when riding and can still hear my music without issue. Of course, taking a phone call is a little sketchy, but considering how seldom that happens I'm not too bothered about it.

Aaron, you may not like the voice commands, but have you actually tried changing the sensitivity settings in the G9 configuration portal? Also, I'm not sure there's another system out there that has voice commands. Afaik, the Sena only supports voice commands for making/answering calls, the rest of the time you'll have to learn to push buttons to play/stop your music just like you're currently complaining that you have do with the Scala. I agree that it's pretty stupid that, when using the voice commands, saying, "Music On" is interpreted by the Scala as "Call Intercom" more often than not. But that might be easily fixed with some adjustments. Granted, I don't like using the voice command system because it's far easier and quicker to just press a button and be done with it. Finally, I've found it's pretty rare to actually get an electronic component system out of the box that is perfectly configured to my preferences. Almost always it's going to require some adjustments to get it just right. Mess around with it. You may actually find that there is a happy medium in there that meets your needs.