Thread: Anyone using SketchUp, Revit or ArchiCAD?

Anyone using SketchUp, Revit or ArchiCAD?

I have a client who wants some 3-D views of the house I'm doing. The software I'm designing it in doesn't make for fast and easy 3-D. I hear SketchUp is fast and easy.

I would also like to talk to someone who knows Revit VERY WELL. And, by chance, anyone using ArchiCAD?
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Re: Anyone using SketchUp, Revit or ArchiCAD?

I've used sketch up a few times for little projects. Pretty easy to pick up and works well.

Quote Originally Posted by big_sur View Post
    I've used sketch up a few times for little projects. Pretty easy to pick up and works well.
    I'm looking for details. I've already been told it's easy.

If you had to draw 3-D elevations of the Taj Mahal, how easy is SketchUp with tons of detail? Cornice, keystones, turrets, wainscot? My houses are huge (18,000 sq. ft.) and have an incredible amount of detail. Have you done anything major with SketchUp?

How easy would this be to convert to 3-D in SketchUp? It's a small one about 7,000 sq. ft.

Last edited by Kim-n-Dean; Fri Jun 20th, 2014 at 04:38 PM.
    Kim & Dean

So, there's no one on this board that uses Revit? I could have sworn I've seen people talk about it on here. This place is so dead that those people are probably gone, now.

I used Revit a few years ago and only made small edits. Never really got deep into the software. A week ago I bought Revit and am doing my first complete house with it. Sure would have been cool to talk to someone who knows it! This is some pretty complex shit!!

Anyone know someone who uses Revit??
    Kim & Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    I'm looking for details. I've already been told it's easy.

If you had to draw 3-D elevations of the Taj Mahal, how easy is SketchUp with tons of detail? Cornice, keystones, turrets, wainscot? My houses are huge (18,000 sq. ft.) and have an incredible amount of detail. Have you done anything major with SketchUp?

How easy would this be to convert to 3-D in SketchUp? It's a small one about 7,000 sq. ft.
    I've never done anything big with it, just little stuff. I'm sure you could do it, but at my level of familiarity with it (novice at best), it would take me forever. If I were you, I'd probably just pay somebody in India to do it. The value added in is the design and client management, not what is essentially data entry. My dad used to be an architect and his firm opened an office in India basically just to do AutoCAD work.

So, there's no one on this board that uses Revit? I could have sworn I've seen people talk about it on here. This place is so dead that those people are probably gone, now.
    A lot of them are gone.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Quote Originally Posted by big_sur View Post
    I've never done anything big with it, just little stuff. I'm sure you could do it, but at my level of familiarity with it (novice at best), it would take me forever. If I were you, I'd probably just pay somebody in India to do it. The value added in is the design and client management, not what is essentially data entry. My dad used to be an architect and his firm opened an office in India basically just to do AutoCAD work.
    Using SketchUp was just an idea. I've since bought Revit. Not a chance in hell I'm letting anyone do my design and drawings. Especially, some stranger in India. NO WAY!!!

Besides, I'm getting the hang of it, there's just so much to learn. Talking to someone is faster. Here's what I've done in two days. Not too bad...

Last edited by Kim-n-Dean; Sat Jul 19th, 2014 at 10:01 AM.
    Kim & Dean

I realize no one really gives a shit, but sometimes you just have to blow your own horn.

I bought Revit about a month ago and I've been designing this house as I learn it. It usually takes me about 4-6 weeks to do a house in AutoCAD. I have about four weeks worth of time into this one and I'm almost done. That's pretty damn amazing considering I'm learning the software at the same time. I've always been a very fast learner, and with Revit, I can probably cut the time in half that it takes me to design a house. This software is very complicated, but very powerful as well. For years, I've been wanting to learn Revit. I'm so glad I finally made the leap!!! Revit is the industry standard...

Here are some incomplete renderings straight from Revit. When I render these with 3ds Max, they will look like a real photo. If you're into this kind of shit, it's pretty exciting!!

Kim & Dean

Sorry just saw this thread, but I'm a reseller for Sketchup, bluebeam, and autodesk products. I also do IT for a lot of architectural firms in Denver. AMA.

Quote Originally Posted by Skitz View Post
    Sorry just saw this thread, but I'm a reseller for Sketchup, bluebeam, and autodesk products. I also do IT for a lot of architectural firms in Denver. AMA.
    What's your price for going from AutoCAD 2015 to Building Design Suite Premium 2015? What's a year subscription, too?
    Kim & Dean

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

That's pretty badass Dean! I've been wanting to learn 3D, but we don't really have a use for it with what we do.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    That's pretty badass Dean! I've been wanting to learn 3D, but we don't really have a use for it with what we do.
    Yeah, I'm so proud of it. Been wanting to make the jump to Revit for quite some time, now.

AutoDesk did a survey a few years back and decided to not include documentation with their software anymore. Their survey indicated that 80% of people never use it (maybe that's why no one knows what they are doing). Well, I do!!! I depend on tutorials to learn new software. The built-in help is a joke. It basically takes you to forums, where hardly anyone knows what they are talking about. Sound familiar? Anyway, it's been an experience designing and learning the software at the same time.

You guys using AutoCAD?
    Kim & Dean

That's amazing, and I think Revit is much faster than SketchUp...
    Respect and truth trump all!
    I don't get lost. I explore.

Yeah, I'm so proud of it. Been wanting to make the jump to Revit for quite some time, now.

AutoDesk did a survey a few years back and decided to not include documentation with their software anymore. Their survey indicated that 80% of people never use it (maybe that's why no one knows what they are doing). Well, I do!!! I depend on tutorials to learn new software. The built-in help is a joke. It basically takes you to forums, where hardly anyone knows what they are talking about. Sound familiar? Anyway, it's been an experience designing and learning the software at the same time.

You guys using AutoCAD?
    Everything on this internet is true!

Yeah, we're on AutoCAD. I have to use 2007 because of a program I have to use, but everyone else is on 2014.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Quote Originally Posted by Spooph View Post
    That's amazing, and I think Revit is much faster than SketchUp...
    I take it that you use Revit? Are you pretty good with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    Everything on this internet is true!

Yeah, we're on AutoCAD. I have to use 2007 because of a program I have to use, but everyone else is on 2014.
    What are you using that requires 2007?

I used 2000 up 'til November 2014. I only upgraded because, "got damn, you outta date boy". I actually didn't need to upgrade, just figured it was time...
    Kim & Dean

I take it that you use Revit? Are you pretty good with it?

What are you using that requires 2007?

I used 2000 up 'til November 2014. I only upgraded because, "got damn, you outta date boy". I actually didn't need to upgrade, just figured it was time...
    It's an internal program we use for laying out the post-tensioning, putting in chair heights and spitting out the elongations. Among other things.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

Quote Originally Posted by Skitz View Post
    What's your price for going from AutoCAD 2015 to Building Design Suite Premium 2015? What's a year subscription, too?
    Kim & Dean