Thread: Price ,availability and options questions

Price ,availability and options questions

What's up guys!!
    I'm getting back to the point I want to see and work some times during track days.
    I've got an xt timer but need the Ir transmitter
    http://www.xtracing.com/en/accessories/index.php
    I will need to ck and see if the timer still works though as it's been since 2010 since I used it.
    Now I've seen a lot gps timers and xt makes one. Know much about them or any others ? I like the sector time options that's really cool and would be helpful for sure. I would assume that it being gps setup is pretty simple?
    Would love to upgrade but if my timer works I'll grab the transmitter and a lil tri pod for it due to price for now.
    Thanks man I'll be back in town mon and I'll find and ck my timer

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Re: Price ,availability and options questions

I have a GPX pro from XT and it's brilliant. Set up is simple, track mapping and sector timing is easy to use and if you want more data (such as brake pressure, or throttle position or...) it's easily added.
    Last edited by rybo; Tue Jun 24th, 2014 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Didn't realize this was in the TFOG forum. Removed other vendor name.

Site Admin

Also, i'd like to add that the support from both Brian and XT has been fantastic. I've had mine for a few years and recently the rechargeable battery went bad. They were very quick to send me a new one with simple to follow instructions for replacing it.

Great

Are the beacon type still used a lot by mra racers?
    Thanks for your feedback Scott. I'd rather just get the gps type to set up segment times and not have to worry about a bunch of beacons. It's just pricy. I'm not riding much if at all the rest of the year so I think I'm gonna save for the gps.
    Will it or does it have the capability to take the place of the tach/speedo unit? Is there one out there that does for around the same $?
    I've got a bunch of other stuff I need to attend to on the bike now that I'm not riding it as much that I'll probably do first.

Another option you might want to consider depending on how serious\how much money you want to spend\how much data you need is just getting a 10hz bluetooth GPS receiver for your phone and then using the trackmaster app on your phone. It's pretty accurate with an external GPS receiver and easy to use. I've found it's a good option for basic timing\sectors.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ckmaster&hl=en

Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by One-ops View Post
    Are the beacon type still used a lot by mra racers?
    Thanks for your feedback Scott. I'd rather just get the gps type to set up segment times and not have to worry about a bunch of beacons. It's just pricy. I'm not riding much if at all the rest of the year so I think I'm gonna save for the gps.
    Will it or does it have the capability to take the place of the tach/speedo unit? Is there one out there that does for around the same $?
    I've got a bunch of other stuff I need to attend to on the bike now that I'm not riding it as much that I'll probably do first.

The XT can be a dash replacement pretty easily - there are two models 4ch and 8ch depending on how many bits of data you want to track. GPS handles track position and speed, you can then add things like water temp, RPM, oil pressure, gear, throttle position and with a few other (expensive) sensors things like brake pressure and suspension position.

The BEST part of this system, in my mind, is the software that allows you to review your data on your PC. You can see what you are coin and where on the track along with it taking your sector times and piecing together an "ideal lap" based on your best sector times.

They have a new model that doesn't do dash replacement, just the GPS functions (speed, track map, sector timing etc) and it's way less dollars - GPX Zed is about $425 vs. a little more than $600 for the GPX pro with 4 channels of data tracking. If that stuff isn't important to you, then save yourself a couple hundred bucks, for me that information is really valuable.

A word of caution - getting that data requires you to mess a bit with the wiring harness on your bike, splicing into wires to get the data. I think they are working on some integration with newer bikes that use CAN, but I'm not sure they have that product to market yet.

We have a fair number of guys in the MRA still using a beacon type lap timer, they are lots less expensive, but much more difficult to set up sector times with.

Nice!
    How will it mount to the stay? I'm running a Morse using my stock cluster. Also what would you now do with the stock plug? Thinking I might find a way to mount it partly on top of stock at first that way I'll still have the ck engine light etc. Not sure how the gps unit works for that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by big_sur View Post
    Another option you might want to consider depending on how serious\how much money you want to spend\how much data you need is just getting a 10hz bluetooth GPS receiver for your phone and then using the trackmaster app on your phone. It's pretty accurate with an external GPS receiver and easy to use. I've found it's a good option for basic timing\sectors.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ckmaster&hl=en
    This looks freaking cool!!! I have to check this out for sure. Thanks !
    I think this might be the same one Aaron was telling me about. Didn't think it was going to look that good though so I never searched for it. How did you mount it ?

Is that app just for droid??