Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for an old iPhone or iPod Touch. Needed for R/C Truck

Looking for an old iPhone or iPod Touch. Needed for R/C Truck

It was Kim's birthday last night and she's been wanting an R/C car, so I got her a Nitro Traxxas Revo 3.3. This thing is bas ass, so I bought me one, too. No fun driving by yourself!! She looked like a little kid, ripping the paper off. Her eyes lit up when she saw what it was. I was a little nervous that she really didn't want one that bad, but she did!!

Anyway, the tranmitter has a dock for an iPhone or iPod Touch. The truck sends real time telemetry back to the transmitter. RPM, MPH, engine temp, battery voltage, servo adjustments on the fly. Kinda cool, but only works with iCrap.

Anyone have an iPod Touch 3rd or 4th gen or iPhone 3GS or 4. The phone part doesn't have to work. Just need something to run the app...

Last edited by Kim-n-Dean; Thu Jun 26th, 2014 at 11:06 AM.
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Re: Looking for an old iPhone or iPod Touch. Needefor R/C Truck

Wow, runs like a wireless OBDII; just installed on my ride to view same stats in real time. Had no turbo boost meter and used that to give me one. All running through Iphone.

Sorry Dean can't help you, just thought it was cool they are doing this for RC cars now too. I spent a total of $25 ($15 for wifi OBDII and $9.99 for Torque software) where in past this software would have costs about $600.

I was also thinking how a spare phone would be better as the software drains my regular phone battery pretty quick. Of course you have dibs, but you find a extra let me know.

Tell Kim Happy Birthday for me
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

3.3s are just about as bad ass as you can get.

Here is mine

I dont run the iPhone on mine. Its just too big of a distraction that no one really uses. How are you supposed to check anything while you are watching your car go 55mph
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzzzy1 View Post
    How are you supposed to check anything while you are watching your car go 55mph
    The new transmitter has blue tooth, so you can use an iPad and have your co-driver monitor the telemetry.

I also got a free drag set with tree, pre-stage, stage lights, win light, speed trap for buying two trucks. The iCrap stuff works with it, too.
    Kim & Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    ..... have your co-driver monitor the telemetry.
    Dean, you are making this harder than it has to be!

My buddy runs the dirt R/C track down on County Line and Holly.

Dean, you are making this harder than it has to be!
    That's what Traxxas says for racing situations...
    My buddy runs the dirt R/C track down on County Line and Holly.
    We have a pretty big back yard. I expect it will be a mud bowl, soon!!!
    Kim & Dean

I have an iPod touch(3rd Gen I believe). Cracked screen but you can have it.
    Mike
    USAF
    '10 Kawasaki Z1000

I could care less about the type of motorcycle or brand, as long as it gets me to my destination with a smile on my face.

Love my 3.3 Revo too. So fun!!

I also have a ERevo VXL 1/16. All water proof. Fun as shit in the snow!

You guys got nothing on my 10+ year old Hornet

Takes a beating and keeps going. I take it to skate parks and ramp that puppy 5 feet in air and never breaks! Got to love Tamiya!

Quote Originally Posted by gator4life108 View Post
    I have an iPod touch(3rd Gen I believe). Cracked screen but you can have it.
    Cool, I'll send ya my info. THANKS!!!!
    Kim & Dean

Re: Looking for an old iPhone or iPod Touch. Needed for R/C Truck

Kim also wanted a quad-copter. So, I got a Blade 350QX for her. This thing is bad ass, too. Aerobatic mode (flip and roll) for me and a few beginner modes for her. It has an altimeter, GPS, compass, GoPro mount, all kinds of shit. In beginner mode, if you release the sticks, it will hold altitude and position and self level, and you can even push a button and have it "return home". It's pretty amazing how sophisticated these things are right out of the box!

Kim & Dean

Got the engines broke in Saturday. Damn!! What a procedure that was!! You can definitely tell when they've completed the process. These babies all of a sudden light up and go!! When they shift into second, kiss them good by, they're easily over 50mph. The performance and suspension is amazing! Very happy with these Revos!

Thanks to Mike for the iPod. Completing the registry for the iPod and the Apple App Store is akin to a DOD background check. Apple really makes you jump through some hoops to use their products and services. The TraxxasLink app is pretty cool. Now, I know that I can hit 44mph in the back yard. Yee haw!!! Grass flying every where. Too much fun!!! Thanks again, Mike!!!!

Anyone wanna do a beer and buggy night?
    Kim & Dean

Got the engines broke in Saturday. Damn!! What a procedure that was!! You can definitely tell when they've completed the process. These babies all of a sudden light up and go!! When they shift into second, kiss them good by, they're easily over 50mph. The performance and suspension is amazing! Very happy with these Revos!Thanks to Mike for the iPod. Completing the registry for the iPod and the Apple App Store is akin to a DOD background check. Apple really makes you jump through some hoops to use their products and services. The TraxxasLink app is pretty cool. Now, I know that I can hit 44mph in the back yard. Yee haw!!! Grass flying every where. Too much fun!!! Thanks again, Mike!!!!Anyone wanna do a beer and buggy night?
    Went to Hobby Town USA on Friday and checked out both gifts you got for Kim. All I can say is they are awesome and you sir are a awesome gift giver....saw the price tags I am down if my old school Hornet is acceptable.....I built it and all...not like these new ones that are all done for you. I won't be winning any races against you guys of course though

Plus guess you and Kim have not met my new wife

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Went to Hobby Town USA on Friday and checked out both gifts you got for Kim. All I can say is they are awesome and you sir are a awesome gift giver....saw the price tags I am down if my old school Hornet is acceptable.....I built it and all...not like these new ones that are all done for you. I won't be winning any races against you guys of course though

Plus guess you and Kim have not met my new wife
    You know better than that, you are more than welcome anytime. It's been a while. Last time we saw you, your vaporizer was leaking like the Valdez all over my living room. You didn't actually have to hit the thing, just be within five feet of it.

I would have preferred to build mine, too. It's crazy what is available out-of the-box, though!!

I have to admit, though, after twenty-five years of building airplanes, I'm SICK of it!!!!
    Kim & Dean

You know better than that, you are more than welcome anytime. It's been a while. Last time we saw you, your vaporizer was leaking like the Valdez all over my living room. You didn't actually have to hit the thing, just be within five feet of it.

I would have preferred to build mine, too. It's crazy what is available out-of the-box, though!!

I have to admit, though, after twenty-five years of building airplanes, I'm SICK of it!!!!
    Thanks man Let me know when you plan one of these and I'll see if my prehistoric RC still runs; been a few months since I charged those old batteries.

Yeah I have upgraded to a much better vaporizer now! I love watching people think they don't work well then watching them cough from vapor and then watch as they suddenly get ripped and become a believer.

Yeah was checking some possibilities out over at HobbyTown USA. Their selection of RC's is pretty good for being local.

I have built so many models it is crazy. Few years back I taught myself how to airbrush and that really elevated my models. I tend to build mostly Tamiya as I got tired of lower quality ones. Actually just finished up a ZX1200 this weekend. My favorite to build are sportbikes, but I have built a lot of Indy Cars and Monster Trucks too. You airbrush at all?

Thanks man Let me know when you plan one of these and I'll see if my prehistoric RC still runs; been a few months since I charged those old batteries.
    Give me your batteries and I'll put them on my battery conditioner. I've brought back batteries that were over ten-years old.

You airbrush at all?
    I used to a long time ago. Made a ton of money, I was pretty good. I did show car murals and race car lettering and graphics.
    Kim & Dean

Give me your batteries and I'll put them on my battery conditioner. I've brought back batteries that were over ten-years old.

I used to a long time ago. Made a ton of money, I was pretty good. I did show car murals and race car lettering and graphics.
    Wow, didn't know this was a option; I used to have a bunch of battery packs so I'll have to see if I can find them.

Nice, sounds like you are way more skilled than me. I just bought one and watched some videos online to learn. It at least elevated my models and made me able to finish them faster. Recently started using this floor wax called "Future" that works great as a gloss and to mix acrylics...that has helped too.

Nate, you get your shit yet?

My Drag Timing System came yesterday. It is super bad ass!! It is EXACTLY like a real drag race timing system, well, it doesn't have sixty-foot beams and it used lasers instead of light beams, but everything else is dead-on. Pre-stage and stage lights are the new NHRA LED blue circle with the white line between, feels like I'm back at the Mile High Nationals. Speed trap and finish line beams give MPH. It has pro and sportsman trees with reaction times. You can run dial-ins so cars of different speeds can still race each other. With the iPod link, it prints time slips and keeps track of the ladder sheet for multiple racers. It's just like Friday night at Bandimere!! Just gotta find a place big enough to set it up. 132' for our 1/10 scale Revos.

Best of all, I got if free for buying two cars at once!!

Link to DTS-1 on the Traxxas site:

http://traxxas.com/products/parts/ac...agtimingsystem
    Kim & Dean

Nate, you get your shit yet?

My Drag Timing System came yesterday. It is super bad ass!! It is EXACTLY like a real drag race timing system, well, it doesn't have sixty-foot beams and it used lasers instead of light beams, but everything else is dead-on. Pre-stage and stage lights are the new NHRA LED blue circle with the white line between, feels like I'm back at the Mile High Nationals. Speed trap and finish line beams give MPH. It has pro and sportsman trees with reaction times. You can run dial-ins so cars of different speeds can still race each other. With the iPod link, it prints time slips and keeps track of the ladder sheet for multiple racers. It's just like Friday night at Bandimere!! Just gotta find a place big enough to set it up. 132' for our 1/10 scale Revos.

Best of all, I got if free for buying two cars at once!!

Link to DTS-1 on the Traxxas site:

http://traxxas.com/products/parts/ac...agtimingsystem
    I did get it in! Had to do some tweaking as it was old, but I think I got it up and going. pretty amazing considering it has to be like 15+ years old. Although I doubt we will need a timer as yours should kill mine Although that timer thing is cool.

You planning to go to the CSC BBQ this Sunday Dean?

... pretty amazing considering it has to be like 15+ years old. Although I doubt we will need a timer as yours should kill mine
    That's what dial-ins are for. You make a few practice passes and when you're ready to race, you type in what you think your car will run. That's your dial-in. That's how a 9 second car can run against a 14 second car. The slower car starts first (based on dial-in differential) and mathematically they arrive at the finish line at the same time. If you run faster than your dial-in, you lose, so no sandbagging. Reaction time and consistancy is everything. This is how sportsman classes work in drag racing. Anyone can race anyone... Pro classes are different. They run "heads-up". Both cars start at the same time.

You planning to go to the CSC BBQ this Sunday Dean?
    Gonna be down at Tarryall shooting that day...
    Kim & Dean

Id buy anything this girl sells....

Should not have driven Dean's truck last weekend.

Now this is on it's way, should arrive Tues.
    Unfortunately Colpar didn't have this in stock or I would be tearing up my lawn this weekend.

Sweet I wanna come play!!! I've got an older Revo 3.3