Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Went down...bowing out of riding for a while.

Went down...bowing out of riding for a while.

Went down this morning while riding with a few guys from the forum on Squaw pass at mile marker 7.

Back at home now. I didn't really need the ER but it was the fastest way to get checked out and there was nothing close by. Doing OK. Road rash on the elbow kinda bad in one spot. Looks like a hole. Nothing serious though. Other minor road rash on the knee, general soreness. No broken bones, dislocated things, etc. All in all very fortunate.

For the most part the gear did its job except the jacket. It shredded apart which tore my elbow up. NEVER BUY TEXTILE. My gloves also did great except the palms which are kangaroo leather were toast instantly but thankfully only a small hole so just a bit of an abrasion on the hand. Didn't hit my head really. Guard rail probably saved my life.

Bike is probably a total but they'll check it out Monday. Front end was smashed from initial hit and the tail was smashed on the secondary hit. Left handle bar snapped off. Windshield exploded.

Oh and I got a careless driving ticket...

As far as the crash goes, I was going pretty hard but the road was perfect. I had a perfect line, steady throttle, not too much corner entry speed, but the gravel was right in the middle and inescapable. Even if I was going 20 MPH slower (I was probably at about 50-60 or so) I would've hit the gravel anyway and it may have been the same or worse. The rear tire caught the gravel and tried to grab but lowsided, sending the bike ahead of me into the guard rail and came in right behind it. Just goes to show no matter how good you are you can still be taken out. Thankful I didn't get sent across oncoming lane or highside over the rail to my death in the canyon below.

I'm done riding, at least for this stage of life. Too much trouble too fast. Maybe when I'm 45 I'll get a Goldwing or a BMW tourer. Since I probably won't see any of you again learn from me. Take the hard riding to the track and get QUALITY COW LEATHER GEAR ONLY, NO KANGAROO STUFF. Much love and ride safe.
    2007 SV1000s "Toothless"

Re: Went down...bowing out of riding for a while.

Sorry to hear you went down. Glad your ok. Hopefully you heal up and get back on 2 eventually. I know the feeling I keep telling myself to get off the bike and do something different I haven't be able to get myself to sell my bike.

hope you're ok, heal up

Chocolate Thunder

Ah man...I am very thankful you are alive, sore as fuck, my thoughts are with you today.

Glad you're okay, don't let the incident get around your head too much. It's part of riding and sure hope you decide to hop back on sooner than 45 lol.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR
    2024 Aprilia Tuono Factory Ultra Gold

Sorry to hear this. Rear and heal up. Take care

Happy u r ok...bummer to get a ticket..ridiculous o

Ah shit, sorry to hear that man. Really glad to hear you're okay, sans the bumps and bruises.

I'm happy the OP is A. alive, B. able to peck away at a keyboard.

OP, if it makes you feel better, I sold my aprilia about 6wks ago and I am not sure if I'm gonna bet back in the saddle...I'm not so much worried about me but rather other drivers on the road.

my riding occurred at low-risk time - daytime(avoided night-time riding), non-weekend, no alcohol, right-frame-of-mind, etc. But the thing that really got me off the bike and back in the pickup was Amendment 64.

I believe people should be allowed to do what they want with minimal interference from the gov't but the 2 dozen times I've been high I know that last place I should have been is behind the wheel of a car. But I don't know that proponents of 64 have the same discipline. The affects of weed violate (essentially) all my pre-cursers to riding - it's easy to be high any time now.

I would like to hear what others say/think about this subject - not trying to hi-jack the thread but rather hear what others think??

Shawn,
    That really sucks dude. I hope your recovery is as quick and painless as possible. Like Damir said, this is a part of riding; we all accept some level of risk. Road hazards can appear out of nowhere, especially at speed on public roads. Managing hazards and risk could easily turn into a long discussion

Quote Originally Posted by 3point5 View Post
    the thing that really got me off the bike and back in the pickup was Amendment 64.
    Whenever I’m blazed out of my mind, I enjoy pulling wheelies all the way to and from the Kwik-E-Mart for emergency procurement of Cheetos and Slurpee … and more papers

Senior Member Moderator

Sorry to hear about your crash Shawnzy, but glad you're relatively okay. A crash affects so many things. After my crash I was terrified to get back on the bike. To this day I still get anxious before getting in the saddle, but I simply love riding too much to give it up. The reminder that death can happen at any moment is a sobering thought. It can push us to stop taking risks altogether. However, if riding is a passion, in such a way that you can find no substitute, then I say take the time to center yourself, then get back in the saddle and experience the growth of learning from the lesson you were taught when you went down. If you have other interests and drives that give you the satisfaction of a life fully-lived, then I say do them and be happy! With either choice I wish you the best and a speedy recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by 3point5 View Post
    I would like to hear what others say/think about this subject - not trying to hi-jack the thread but rather hear what others think??
    Perhaps start another thread to deal with this topic. I'm sure the OP would rather not have the life-experience he shared today devolve into a philosophical discussion about the pros and cons of smoking weed.

That first crash is not fun. Sounds like you made it OK yourself. I'm a fan of leather as well when I lowsided I had a leather Joe rocket jacket on and it looks like nothing happened to it. Even tho Joe rocket might not be on the top of everyone's best quality list its thick and worked well for me. Hey I was pissed too after crashing and thought I wouldn't ride again either but within a month I was back at it again tho still more cautious about gravel and sand. I Dont ride at the same speed I did before always weary of sand and you can't control whether it will be there or not. Just see if someone can show you some techniques how to react when its there or how to react when it slips (if there is anything that can be done)

Hopefully you make a speedy recovery and get back at it sooner than age 45 assuming you're relatively young!
    2005 Suzuki SV650s Blue (SOLD), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636 Lime Green

For me it's not that I don't went to keep riding. I LOVE riding and this didn't scare me away as much as it slowed me down. It's my wife. She's terrified now and it's fair to feel that way. It could easily have been much worse. I could have high sided over the rail, been going the other way and gone across traffic into a car, etc. If it were only me I would have another bike next week. It didn't scare me like it did her. I don't live only for myself and we are one. If she's not OK then neither am I. Jesus is #1, wife is #2, then me. I wish I could keep riding but it's just too much for her after this.

Feeling more sore today in the ribs and hips where I hit the rail but the elbow hole is closing up. Just oozing a bit. Thanks for all the kind words.

Chocolate Thunder

You cant dwell or rethink the what if. That part will tear your mind up. The what ifs didnt happen, you had the best scenario crash. You walked away...and didnt hurt anyone else out there. Take your time....go laugh a lot with your wife, hold her hand and return when ready. Yougottawanna. ....

Sounds like the perfect time to track prep that bike, buy a 1 piece and spend some time at hpr, imi, pput and ppm.
    MRA Expert #880 - 2015 AmateurGTO Champion, 2013 NoviceGTU Champion
    2006 YZF-R6 Race "No name" - 2005 YZF-R6 Street "Aurora"
    2015 Sponsors: Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, STM Suspension, Silkolene Lubricants, EBC Brakes, Pit-Bull Products

Text: (72O) 432-7236

Glad you're ok and thanks for sharing your story. I think it is an opportunity for the rest of us to learn perhaps something from your lucky misfortune.

It's a good thing that you know your priorities. There are many other hobbies to pick up so I'm sure you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawnzy View Post
    For me it's not that I don't went to keep riding. I LOVE riding and this didn't scare me away as much as it slowed me down. It's my wife. She's terrified now and it's fair to feel that way. It could easily have been much worse. I could have high sided over the rail, been going the other way and gone across traffic into a car, etc. If it were only me I would have another bike next week. It didn't scare me like it did her. I don't live only for myself and we are one. If she's not OK then neither am I. Jesus is #1, wife is #2, then me. I wish I could keep riding but it's just too much for her after this.

Feeling more sore today in the ribs and hips where I hit the rail but the elbow hole is closing up. Just oozing a bit. Thanks for all the kind words.
    Amen, well man with you a speedy recovery and hope the wifey calms down a bit as well. Track bike ftw lol
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR
    2024 Aprilia Tuono Factory Ultra Gold

If any of guys (or gals) want to improve your street riding by giant strides and ride away from all the hazards of the street, I've got a great dirt bike for sale for $2K.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

This is definitely not for everyone, so enjoy the new pursuits. I hope you heal fully.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Update: wife saw how bummed I was knowing I couldn't ride again and made a deal: no more sport bikes but if I get something a bit more tame, don't go more than 10 over and don't have another major crash and burn, she's ok! Score. Thinking FJR 1300 or Concourse 1400...

yeah, those bikes def won't go more than 10 over.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Junior Member Yearly Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Shawnzy View Post
    Update: wife saw how bummed I was knowing I couldn't ride again and made a deal: ...
    Oh man, that it's great news! I am very happy for you!
    Last edited by troydba; Sun Jul 6th, 2014 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Context Clarity

I'm glad you're safe and alive. I understand you run a gamut of emotions after crash. To think you'll be any safer on a different bike is naivety at its finest.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

I'm sad that I won't be on a race replica but I did get 2 tickets and an accident in less than a year. But my wifey knows that riding is in my blood.

I grew up watching racing of all kinds, spent much of my youth at dirt tracks watching sprint cars and late models. I wanted a bike since I was a kid. Gixxer 750 was my dream bike when I was like 12. Then I heard the glorious sound of an RC51 and I just about wet myself.

Now that I can afford to ride I can't imagine my life without it. Wife said she was also sad at the thought of not having a bike anymore either. So we will see what they give me for the bike and I'll look for a new rig!