Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Toy...

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

New Toy...

...hauler. Susan and I picked this up yesterday:

We want to do some traveling and take the bikes with us. I'm hoping I can get two street and two dualsport bikes in it, and it has some nice amenities. My first drive with it was during rush hour in pouring rain on I-25. The dually does the job quite nicely. Very smooth and stable at 65.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Re: New Toy...

Yeah that's nice!!!! Congrats man!

Wow! Looks like you guys are ready for the great outdoors!

Awesome! Where'd you buy it?

BTW: http://www.keystonerv.org/ is a good site for Keystone owners.

Thanks guys. We got it at Windish RV in Longmont and had a very good buying experience. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. We're planning a trip down to northern AZ to see the Grand Canyon, Meteor Crater and the Petrified Forest/Painted Desert. The hydraulic leveling system on that thing is amazing and very convenient.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

That's a nice setup!
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Right on, Dirk!! You're gonna love traveling with that thing. Nothing better than dragging around your portable house! Fifth-wheels pull so much better than anything else. And, it's legal to ride in a fifth-wheel. It's the only style of trailer that is legal to ride in. Get one of those portable, automatic satellite dishes and you're set. The three S's are very important; Shower, Shitter and Satellite!

Every time we're on our way home with ours, we're wishing we had somewhere else to go instead of home!
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    Thanks guys. We got it at Windish RV in Longmont and had a very good buying experience. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. We're planning a trip down to northern AZ to see the Grand Canyon, Meteor Crater and the Petrified Forest/Painted Desert. The hydraulic leveling system on that thing is amazing and very convenient.
    We bought ours there as well, from Josh. Good place. Not much to look at (facilities) but the techs seem to know there stuff.

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Awesome Dirk!
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Party at dirk's! Lol nice man
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    Right on, Dirk!! You're gonna love traveling with that thing. Nothing better than dragging around your portable house! Fifth-wheels pull so much better than anything else. And, it's legal to ride in a fifth-wheel. It's the only style of trailer that is legal to ride in. Get one of those portable, automatic satellite dishes and you're set. The three S's are very important; Shower, Shitter and Satellite!

Every time we're on our way home with ours, we're wishing we had somewhere else to go instead of home!
    Some states do allow passengers in travel trailers but CO doesn't appear to. I'm surprised that anyone would ride in any type of camper myself.

I definitely wanted a 5th wheel for a bunch of reasons that you know. I'll be looking into the satellite setup. And I'm sure that'll be our reaction too!

--Thomas Jefferson

Nice... Katie and I want to do that in years to come!!! Have fun!
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

Awesome....congrats Dirk!

Quote Originally Posted by birchyboy View Post
    Some states do allow passengers in travel trailers but CO doesn't appear to. I'm surprised that anyone would ride in any type of camper myself.
    Curious why you feel that way as I'd think riding in the would be way more fun than a cramped truck. Is it safety?
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Awesome....congrats Dirk!

Curious why you feel that way as I'd think riding in the would be way more fun than a cramped truck. Is it safety?
    Safety as well as the potentially rough ride. The larger 5th wheels may ride OK, but there are times when stuff gets flung around, doors open, etc in mine, and it's 25' feet long.

Quote Originally Posted by birchyboy View Post
    It's fifth-wheels only, and Colorado does allow passengers in a fifth-wheel. We've never had passengers in ours, but my buddy, Doug, fills his everywhere he goes. All his friends and their dogs on every trip. We tow our boats behind our fifth-wheels, so when we're traveling together we take-up the whole gas station. Therefore, we usually have to hit truck stops to fill-up. There are always cops around that come up to check out our rigs. They've confirmed it's legal and so does our Good Sam web site. Only fifth-wheels are legal to carry passengers.
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

It's fifth-wheels only, and Colorado does allow passengers in a fifth-wheel. We've never had passengers in ours, but my buddy, Doug, fills his everywhere he goes. All his friends and their dogs on every trip. We tow our boats behind our fifth-wheels, so when we're traveling together we take-up the whole gas station. Therefore, we usually have to hit truck stops to fill-up. There are always cops around that come up to check out our rigs. They've confirmed it's legal and so does our Good Sam web site. Only fifth-wheels are legal to carry passengers.
    Sorry, my post wasn't worded correctly. CO doesn't allow passengers in hitched travel trailers, but they are allowed in 5th wheels and in-bed campers. Some states do allow passengers in hitched trailers. Every state is different.

GAH!!! I have RV envy!!! Nice setup man.
    Erich-
    2004 SV650S - 8K miles - SOLD
    2003 SV1000S - 15K miles - My new love!

+1 on the auto-leveling system. Beats those old manual setups hands down! We pull in, unhitch and press a button. Then stand back and have a beer while it self levels. The only problem we've occasionally come against is finding an RV site long enough!

Watch those overhead cabinet hinges though. The gas struts are too powerful and I've had 3 of the doors pop their hinges already. Cheap repair with some epoxy however.

Last edited by asp_125; Thu Jul 17th, 2014 at 11:58 AM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Gold Member

Nice setup man!! I would ride in a camper. With a trusted driver.

Man, you guys and your big rigs. Makes me feel dinky.

The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Nice rig BTW Dirk. Perhaps one day when I can justify....
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Man, you guys and your big rigs. Makes me feel dinky.
    Me too

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Dean,

Correct me if I"m wrong, but I believe that one of the requirements is that the passengers in the trailer have to have some way to signal to the driver that they need to stop. A two-way radio, or a light on the front of the trailer that the passengers in the trailer can activate would do.